C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to install torque converter? and torque converter bolt question...

Old 05-13-2002, 05:10 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to install torque converter? and torque converter bolt question...

I'm gonna be putting the engine in this weekend, I got the tranny in already. Are there any tricks to installing the torque converter, I know it has to "drop" into place on the tranny three times, correct? What's the best way to do this? How will I know it's in there alright? I have a book that tells how to do it, but I just wanted to see your guys' thoughts.

The torque converter has threads on each of the mounting holes, should just thread a bolt into those from behind the fly wheel and crank it down, or should I thread a bolt through and put a nut on the other end as well? I don't want that sucker to come loose, so what's the best way to make sure she's not gonna?

Thanks guys

[Modified by TravMsns, 9:10 PM 5/13/2002]
Old 05-13-2002, 05:38 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: best way to install torque converter? and torque converter bolt question... (TravMsns)

"What's the best way to do this?"

Stand the tranny on end, lower the converter into place while rotating it back and forth sort of like you are steering a car through an obstacle course. It should drop down into place quite nicely. Watch your fingers.

"How will I know it's in there alright?"

It will be pretty obvious that there is no way for the converter to go on further without colliding with the case. You will not be able to get your fingers in between the converter and the case.

"The torque converter has threads on each of the mounting holes, should just thread a bolt into those from behind the fly wheel and crank it down, or should I thread a bolt through and put a nut on the other end as well? I don't want that sucker to come loose, so what's the best way to make sure she's not gonna?"

You must be using a non-stock converter. Stock thm350 converters use nuts + bolts to retain the converter - they do not have threaded pads like you describe above.

If it were *me*, I'd just run bolts into the pads and use a lockwasher or a dab of Loctite.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:11 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: best way to install torque converter? and torque converter bolt question... (TravMsns)

45ACP is correct. When you put the TC on the tranny you will feel it drop into place and there won't be any room for your fingers. My new TC had the mounting tabs with threads, I used some red locktite.

BTW, I have some ARP TC bolts that were the wrong thread for mine if anyone needs them they are fine thread ones. Not exactly sure of the actual correct thread size but I can check.

Get notified of new replies

To best way to install torque converter? and torque converter bolt question...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best way to install torque converter? and torque converter bolt question...