C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glyptal

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I imagine it's a lot like eating chicken soup when you have a cold. It probably won't actually help, but hey, it can't hurt, right? The other thing I have been thinking about is filling the exhaust crossover passage in the intake manifold with an insulative expanding foam.

Scott
Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Over on the bicycle forum we had discussion about internal preservation of steel frames and one of the industry recommended products. I decided to do a good old fasioned non-scientific in front of my garage door test.

I took a piece of metal and taped it off into sections. Each section was treated with 'product' and left outdoors to see which best prevented rust. From left to right:

Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil
WD40
Corrosion Block
Boeshield T-9
Liquid Wrench product (dont recall which one)
Loctite product (dont recall which one)

Make of the testing methodology and results what you'd like....

Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only applied the insulating varnish to cast iron. I've never seen a reference where it was used on aluminum, like the underside of an intake manifold.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 AM
todd74
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, never expected this much from a question. Thank you all for the information. As far as painting the Heads as well as the rest of the motor at some point, It looks like Eastwood has an engine paint that would last for a while. http://www.eastwood.com/ew-ceramic-e...hev-ornge.html Has anyone used this product? Could I powdercoat the engine? What is better if so?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I probably wouldn't bother going to the trouble or expense for a mild build, but suggest looking at this if you want to get serious about thermal coatings...

http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10296

Otherwise, I'd stick with what's been proven to work inside and out before experimenting here.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Let's look at a cost-benefit analysis of Glyptal:

Potential benefits are perhaps, somewhat better oil return from the lifter valley; although literally millions of engines have survived just fine without it.

Top fuel engine block - no Glyptal.

Cons of glyptal - Extra cost, has to cure right, surface prep has to be correct, etc. If any of it gets loose, it winds up in the bearings and lifters. When the risk of failure is trashing the engine is it really worth it?

Glyptal is one of those myths that goes in the same category of "pumping the pan dry" because you have a h/v oil pump, double-pumpers make you faster, and all 350's at the car show make "about 500 hp".
Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 AM
d555
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Myth or Magic?

[QUOTE=Ben Lurkin;1580026281]Let's look at a cost-benefit analysis of Glyptal:

...alloy block, rebuilt every 2 miles

Glyptal is one of those myths

So what's the myth? Is it that it will still rust in the valley/head area on a iron block?
Or that it won't help in oil drain back?

Dave
Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

What is the fascination with oil draining back so quick?

You got oil in the pan pumping up so youre good.

Its still going to take close to the same amount of time to pool up by the drainback areas in the lifter valley and is pretty much dicatated by how much is being pumped upstairs anyway.

Doesnt matter either way. Have used Glyptal a few times, completely polished a lifter valley and 0 difference on (now) a non treated block.

If you like it go for it but it will make 0 difference to your motors longevity.

If you want to do something then if you think you got some casting slag anywhere inside the block that you reeeealy think could bust off then go after that maybe spend a little time massaging oil drainback holes....in the HEAD, too. Be careful with those though.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

[QUOTE=d555;1580026828]
Originally Posted by Ben Lurkin
Let's look at a cost-benefit analysis of Glyptal:

...alloy block, rebuilt every 2 miles

Glyptal is one of those myths

So what's the myth? Is it that it will still rust in the valley/head area on a iron block?
Or that it won't help in oil drain back?

Dave
I realize they are alloy blocks, point being that they are cast, just like iron blocks, and they (generally) survive without glyptal. Oil drainback is just fine without it. I have used it and saw zero benefit. What's the point to something that takes extra time, effort and cost that doesn't do anything for you?

If your lifter valley is rusting so are your cylinder walls. That being the case, you have bigger problems.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The more smooth the surface the less surface area. The less surface area and the more insulated the less heat transfers to the oil. The faster the oil gets back into the oil pan the less time the oil has to receive the heat transfer. Therefore I suspect less cooling would take place in the lifter valley area.
Enough to make a difference???? Above my pay grade to know that.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:37 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

fuel motors block and heads are billet not cast. which gives them a nice smooth finish.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

It kinda feels like the "sides" are hardening up on this a bit, and the messaging has become a bit wonky

I don't think anyone is classing using Glyptal in the cam valley as a "must do" by any means - 99.999999999999999% of engines don't...and I don't think anyone has ever claimed "failure due to non-use of Glyptal" I have never - ever - heard of Glyptal coming off...so I don't see the risk. I understand the concept of "first, do no harm", i.e., not doing something that has a downside when the upside is questionable, but I haven't seen any downside other than time and a couple of bucks.

OTOH and IMHO, anything that promotes oil drainback is a Good Thing. I clean up the drainbacks and get rid of casting flash, etc. when I deburr the block. It takes me about 20 minutes to paint the valley after the block comes back from the shop. I also go around and break sharp edges, chamfer bolt holes, etc. Maybe none of those have any real value as was previously claimed...but as a home builder I'm not on the clock and I can do any little things I think will improve the function of the engine...whether they actually do or not

So do. Or do not. Your call.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

I have used it and saw zero benefit.
How did you measure "zero benefit"?

Oil drainback is just fine without it.

If your lifter valley is rusting so are your cylinder walls. That being the case, you have bigger problems.
on both counts.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiancreek
The more smooth the surface the less surface area. Correct. The less surface area and the more insulated the less heat transfers to the oil. Uh, no. The oil temp is generally higher than the coolant temperature when the engine is running hard. The more insulative, the slower the rate that heat will transfer out of the oil into the coolant, and then to the radiator. The faster the oil gets back into the oil pan the less time the oil has to receive the heat transfer. You mean transfer the heat out. Therefore I suspect less cooling would take place in the lifter valley area. Less oil cooling. Enough to make a difference???? Above my pay grade to know that.
The oil cooling rate there is small, but it's free. I'll take it.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Not much coolant in the floor of the lifter valley. That's where the heat from the lifter friction is taking place.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by billla
How did you measure "zero benefit"?

on both counts.
Well, maybe measured isn't the right word in a strictly quantitative sense. There weren't any failures from oiling issues that one could say were due to 'drainback'. I'm not sure how you could even do a meaningful test on that.

Like I said, I've used it, but can't attribute any real benefit to it.

It looks nice I guess.

On to other 'topics'.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Nice work, Ben - even if there weren't benefits.

I agree we're making cat food at this point ;-)

Get notified of new replies

To Glyptal

Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Not much coolant in the floor of the lifter valley. That's where the heat from the lifter friction is taking place.
Do the lifters actually create much heat? I always thought the majority of heat made by the engine was from combustion, and the well lubricated moving parts didn't really create any appreciable heat. Then again, if this were the case, why would the oil ever get hotter than the coolant, which it obviously can, and sometimes does, do? Can somebody with some knowledge elaborate?

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 02-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Who said anything about coolant in the valley floor?

The oil draining down from the heads flows down the valley walls, primarily at the front and rear, and a bit through some casting spaces in the middle of the head. The valley walls are temperature controlled by the coolant flow. As the oil drains back on the valley surfaces it transfers heat into the cast iron and then into the coolant.

The oil should be losing some (small) amount of heat on its way down to the lifter valley. That's free cooler oil hitting the lifter area.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

As for reasons quicker oil return might be desired, even with an 8 qt., multi-gated RR pan my shark corners hard enough that I've had recurring issues with loosing prime during long sweepers. So, if Glyptal helps get oil back to the sump a little faster, I'm all for it.

FWIW, before anyone starts throwing other solutions my way, I run a pressure-balanced, bottom-feed, submerged pump, a crank scraper, have an Accusump ready to install and will be adding a modern one-way windage screen before buttoning things back up. Yep, worked the passages and such too. Total system capacity will end up north of 12 quarts, all up.

Quick Reply: Glyptal