C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed a Unisteer Rack and pinion setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 AM
shotgunvet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed a Unisteer Rack and pinion setup?

My C3 does not currently have powers steering, and the steering is a little jerky. I am seriously considering going to a Unisteer rack and pinion setup and adding their power steering pump with the remote fluid tank.

Just wanted to see if anyone had installed this system and how it compares to Steeroids or VBP setups.

Thanks,

Shotgunvet

Last edited by shotgunvet; 02-14-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 AM
shotgunvet
Instructor

bump
Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Alternative?

G'day,

Have you looked at the Borgeson integral power steering box? I have one in my '74 and it made the world of difference. It's designed to bolt right in with no modifications apart from a slight shortening of the steering shaft. This is easy to do as '68-on Vettes had collapsible columns.

If you have access to a hoist and are a competent with hand tools, you can knock the job over in a few hours. Call Jeff or Gil at Borgeson on 1-860-482-8283. Check out their website at www.borgeson.com .

Overall, the Borgeson kit will cost about half of the average R&P kit, have a better turning circle, and no bump steer, as it uses all of the factory steering linkages, even the Pitman arm.

Regards from Down Under.

ausiiejohn
Old 10-17-2015, 06:09 AM
rcerex
Advanced

Couple years late, but Danny Popp used on one his road race c3. The Borgeson kit still uses the old recirculating ball technology for sailboat steering.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:19 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I think that if I was looking to add PS to a C3 I would look at the Borgeson system for ease of installation and cost. It is true that the Borgeson system is still recirculating ball technology but that system can be very good when setup correctly with no play in the steering. I have a factory/OEM steering box that was custom blueprinted/rebuilt by Gary Ramadei for very little money and uses all factory components and my steering has ZERO play in it BUT still has the factory steering ratio of 16:1. To me the real advantage of the Borgeson unit is the ease of the conversion and probably more importantly, that the steering box uses a 12.7:1 steering ratio, although it may be a tad too quick for a C3 suspension on the street...just me.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:45 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by rcerex
Couple years late, but Danny Popp used on one his road race c3. The Borgeson kit still uses the old recirculating ball technology for sailboat steering.
I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet but according to this article Danny runs a Borgeson box. Maybe he is into sailing these days.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by rcerex
I believe Brian Hobaugh does as well.

Last edited by Kid Vette; 10-17-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:15 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the Borgeson unit, it is responsive, tight, quick and after 25k miles I feel it was the best upgrade. GM should have used it on the C2's and C3's.
You must have a well serviced front and rear suspension. Installing a Borgeson or any rack and pinion unit will not get you to a C7.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:51 PM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They used the borgeson on the ride tech 48 hour build. http://www.ridetech.com/48hourcorvette/
Old 10-20-2015, 08:29 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

I don't remember seeing anyone here install one of those systems but do remember someone installing a R&P with that type cradle but think it was a Flaming River system. There was a good bit of modifications to get the Flaming River system to work as they wanted it to. I'm not much help with the review of the Unisteer unit but I can say I did a DIY R&P install on my car and its been one of the best mods I've done. Just about every sports car on the road today has R&P, it is very hard to beat the feel of a well setup R&P.

Neal

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone installed a Unisteer Rack and pinion setup?

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a Unisteer Rack and pinion setup?