C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military Discount

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Xterrable
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military Discount

I hope I am not breaking any of the forum rules.... I wanted to pass some information to fellow Soldiers and Vets

Jegs offers special pricing for Military Members. Process was pretty easy. I chatted with them online, they emailed me a few things they needed to confirm I was in the Military, faxed it back to them, and they opened an account for me. So now when I log in, I see the new discounted price. Discount varies on each item. Some things already on sale offer no additional discount. But every buck counts!!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:06 PM
AF_Vette
Racer

Most venders do give a discount, and a lot of them go out of the way to ship to APO AP and AE addresses. Just let them know your status.

Its nice to get a "Thanks for Serving" in your inbox. I appreciate it.

Cheers

Vito
Old 02-15-2012, 07:06 PM
mffi115
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Good info

Thanks for the post. Any other vendors out there offering the Military discount?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM
harveyhalabookie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've asked Pep Boys near me and they do not.

I wonder if Summit Racing does since I order most car stuff from them, though I never even thought to ask.

I know Home Depot gives 10% off to veterans and active military every day of the year. That might sound off topic but I have bought many tools to work on the toys there!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AF_Vette
Most venders do give a discount, and a lot of them go out of the way to ship to APO AP and AE addresses. Just let them know your status.

Its nice to get a "Thanks for Serving" in your inbox. I appreciate it.

Cheers

Vito
Schuck's, now O'Reilly's does if you ask them, as does NAPA (Westbay for the Puget Sound folks)...10% active duty and retirees.

ALSO....HOME DEPOT gives 10% off, but you MUST ASK for it. Can make a huge difference when you are adding a home addition, building a deck, or remodeling a kitchen. I have saved literally $1000's there! Also applies to retirees!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 AM
cm2dinger
Racer

I am still waiting on a reply from Wilcox if they offer a militatry discount or not but I do know they ship FPO
Old 02-16-2012, 06:21 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xterrable

Jegs offers special pricing for Military Members.

Wish I would have known prior to that ZZ4 purchase.

They also just added a price match icon when you purchase an item. I find they are a little more expensive (1-3 dollars) than Summit Racing. With a price match and military discount option, they should do pretty well.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Xterrable
Racer

Originally Posted by harveyhalabookie
I've asked Pep Boys near me and they do not.

I wonder if Summit Racing does since I order most car stuff from them, though I never even thought to ask.

I know Home Depot gives 10% off to veterans and active military every day of the year. That might sound off topic but I have bought many tools to work on the toys there!
- Pepboys does offer a 10% Discount on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays. The onles by me have a sticker posted on the doors to the place. I believe it is the same day that they offer senior discounts.

And as far as Wilcox, they already offer a forum discount, so I doubt they would offer two.

Regardless of price, I support those that support us! In this economy, good management would respect that a loyal customer purchase minus 10% is better than no purchase at all!!!

I built my whole garage out of Lowes material. They gave me contractor (bulk price) and then 10% discount on top of that. Saved me about 3,600 in total vs. off the shelf price.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyhalabookie

I know Home Depot gives 10% off to veterans and active military every day of the year.
Not true. They used to give vets the discount, but no more, except these 4 national holidays...Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and Veterans Day. Same holds true for Lowes.

"The military discount is supposed to be for active duty military, retirees, disabled veterans..."

Read all about it here: http://paycheck-chronicles.military....pot-revisited/
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
Not true. They used to give vets the discount, but no more, except these 4 national holidays...Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and Veterans Day. Same holds true for Lowes.

"The military discount is supposed to be for active duty military, retirees, disabled veterans..."

Read all about it here: http://paycheck-chronicles.military....pot-revisited/
Actually it is true, at least for EVERY Home Depot I have been in for the last 13 years from just outside Philly to Washington state,, including just yesterday here near Seattle and last week down in Oregon. In fact just YESTERDAY, I had a conversation with a Depot checkout lady, who said HD's corporate office forbids them from "volunteering" the discount, but if we ask, OR if she sees a military ID card in someone's wallet as they pay, she will mention it. I use my HD 10% military discount every time I go in there, usually several times a week.

Maybe its a regional thing, but I doubt it...

Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps you didn't read my military.com link from 1-22-12 which clarified:

In the last few years, both Lowes and Home Depot have been asking their stores to be careful about only giving the discount to the properly eligible shoppers. Unfortunately, they’ve done a really poor job of training their store staff in the policy. Also, there are so many types of valid and invalid military and veterans’ identification that it is a huge job to keep all the store staff up-to-date on the variations. The result is that many ineligible patrons are still getting discounts, and many eligible customers are being denied a discount.
So if you're not in one of these categories, active duty military, retirees, disabled veterans, you're getting 10% off you don't deserve. But good for you anyway!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Xterrable
Racer

69 Chevy - Are you saying that they no longer give the discount, even when asked and provide a valid ID? I have not been there since that article was published..

I know that in the past, Lowes and HD were approving the Discount once you showed your ID. But as of late, they are requiring the manager to come and do a manual over-ride. I guess contractors were using their discounts for WORK items. But I have gotten it every time I have asked. Actually had a nice talk with the Lowes of Easton manager. He wouldnt give it to me because I was a Reservist. I showed him the DOD Policy when they took Reserve verbage off of the ID cards. DOD considers anyone on paid stats Active. There is no more Active vs. Reserve. Its one fight!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
Perhaps you didn't read my military.com link from 1-22-12 which clarified:

So if you're not in one of these categories, active duty military, retirees, disabled veterans, you're getting 10% off you don't deserve. But good for you anyway!
Yea, I did read it...

Not to bicker with you, 69 Chevy, but after putting in 21 years flying Navy jets around the world, I think I certainly DO fit into the category of "deserving it"...

Back to my original point, though. The stated policy is (I'm paraphrasing) "all active, reserve, retired, or disabled vets get the 10% off everyday, and all other vets get the discount on the selected holidays..."

First of all, I cant really think of a currently serving or retired military member who wouldn't fit into one of those categories.. Of course there are those who FRAUDULENTLY may have obtained an ID card or maybe didnt turn in their card upon separation (again fraud) but that would be rather rare. ID cards have expiration dates. I know when I use my military discount at Home Depot the checkout person rarely examines the card, they just glance at it and apply the discount. Sometimes they dont even ask to see it.

My purpose of posting was to inform "deserving" forum members of the discount, and that it IS NOT made public by Home Depot that such a discount exists EVERYDAY (again to those of us that are deemed "deserving"), that you have to ASK for it, which I think is unforgivable in the environment of the last 10+ years, ESPECIALLY in areas that host large populations of military members, and ESPECIALLY their dependents, who could certainly use a discount when their spouses are serving in far off lands, protecting all of those out there who may not "deserve" such a discount!!!!

Now if the monitors could PLEASE move this thread to the appropriate Forum...

Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Xterrable
Racer

I agree that any Soldier does fall into one of those every day catagories. BUT, there are lots who have ID's that are not in the Military. I.E. dependants, DOD Civilian Employees and contractors. My neighbor is a DOD Civilian. His ID looks just like mine, symbol and all, but mine says US Army and his says DOD Civilian. And they give the discount to him. I partly blame management for not having thire employee's check ID closely. Even for expiration dates. But then again, unles you are or were in, you wouldnt know what to be looking for without holding the line up..
Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,426 Likes on 774 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You can add Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts to the list of 10% off to military ID card holders. You have to tell them as they won't ask. K-Mart will also 10% discount if you pay with cash or check. I think Sears may still offer 10% as well.

FWIW my retired ID card and my USAF contractor badge (CAC) don't look anything alike. I will agree the active duty CAC and contractor CAC look almost identical.

Last edited by Tally Ho; 02-16-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

Around here, at least at Lowes, I can only get a discount on a few days during the year because all I have is my DD214. They offer discounts eveyday but you cannot use your DD214. It must be an official military ID card. I questioned them on that and they referred me to their headquarters who wrote to me confirming their policy. Absolutely need an ID.

Maybe that is where the confusion comes in. drafted US Army.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by karol
Around here, at least at Lowes, I can only get a discount on a few days during the year because all I have is my DD214. They offer discounts eveyday but you cannot use your DD214. It must be an official military ID card. I questioned them on that and they referred me to their headquarters who wrote to me confirming their policy. Absolutely need an ID.

Maybe that is where the confusion comes in. drafted US Army.
Did you retire with 20+ yrs, or did you do a hitch and get out? That may be where the issue lies. You wouldn't have an ID card (without 20), and yet you ARE a veteran, but according to retailers, only on selected holidays!

Get notified of new replies

To Military Discount

Old 02-16-2012, 03:47 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

Mako, I should have made myself clear, I am entitled to get an official military ID at least according to the VA when I called. I need to go to the VA office and get one. I do make use of the DD214 on those special days however. I was in/out after 2 yrs.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:08 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by karol
Mako, I should have made myself clear, I am entitled to get an official military ID at least according to the VA when I called. I need to go to the VA office and get one. I do make use of the DD214 on those special days however. I was in/out after 2 yrs.
Wow, I never knew that!!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Xterrable
Racer

I am going through the whole "Active" argument with the YMCA right now. I want to join and when they saw my ID, they said to go to militaryonesource.com and fill out the YMCA application, as active duty gets free memberships. So I was pretty stoked.

Then they saw I was in the Reserves and said no, sorry. Active only and deployed Soldiers. So I said that I am actively serving, still in. And they said that the form says Active only. So I tried to explain to the nice lady, to no avail. So I asked for them to give me the student rate, to which she said no. Its the point that the lingo is different..

None the less, go info guys!

Quick Reply: Military Discount