Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
iokepakai
CF Senior Member
 
iokepakai's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Kona Hawaii
Default Summit 600cfm Carburetor Review

Product evaluation of Summit's 600cfm VS carburetor:
Package arrived in a well protected box,carb was sealed in plastic.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Contents included carb,dvd,fuel line,base gasket,connector for choke,some fittings,and throttle connections.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Carb view linkage
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Carb view choke
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Top view annular boosters
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Bottom view butterflies
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Fuel Bowl's & the new QFT adjustable vacuum secondaries.Had some loose debris in the secondary bowl,blew out all passages.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Top cover with floats,easy to remove the top cover.Remove screws holding the choke pull the small clevis pin on the choke rod,remove the 8 top screws and the air cleaner stud and it pops off.Jet changes are a breeze no fuel to drain.Jets were correct 67 pri 73 sec pv is 6.5
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Power valve bottom of carb along with the accel pump:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Side by side shot:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Holley S/A 570 on motor old carb:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
New Summit 600 cfm :
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Overall carb looks great nice casting,no problems on the install.Instructions were well documented easy to follow.My 350 started right up,adj the fuel bowl's was ez with the sight windows.Idle was really high had to adj the sec butterflies which I could get to with out removing the carb.Set idle ,adj fuel mixture now I need to go for a test run but it was late so will have to do that on Saturday.Motor shuts down instantly and she fires right up.So far I'm pleased with this carb,it uses mostly Holley parts and the bowl is one piece.The power valve is under the carb so you would have to remove the carb to make changes.I could never get the S/A 570 to idle right and no amount of adjustments would cure the rich idle mixture.The motor idles much smoother with this carb and the idle mixture seems to be much better.I was able to get 15in hg of vacuum.Will update when I go for a test run.....Aloha's

Last edited by iokepakai; 02-24-2012 at 07:44 PM.
iokepakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Ralphbf
CF Senior Member
 
Ralphbf's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Woodland California
Default

Ralphbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Roco71
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Vero Beach FL
Default

I put one one my 71 last fall and really like it. The price is very attractive.
Roco71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
iokepakai
CF Senior Member
 
iokepakai's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Kona Hawaii
Default

That's cool you like the carb! Did you change the jet sizes? This carb seems to be all Holley except the body,and the booster clusters.Adjustments are really ez on this carb,I love the sight windows for the fuel level.
I sprung for the remanufactured carb thinking all the defects would be worked out,it was a little cheaper than a new one.I'm anxious to see how this carb performs with the annular boosters.Before going to work I had to see how she starts up cold and I wasn't disappointed! Hit the pedal to close the choke and she fired right up...yahooo....
iokepakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Ben Lurkin
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09
 
Ben Lurkin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: Oquirrh Mountains
Default

These are simply rebadged holley 4010 carbs with a few updates. The originals had some fuel line routing issues that the redone summit version has fixed.
Ben Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
cardo0
CF Senior Member
 
cardo0's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: So Cal- - Defend your ideas with facts. Not personal attacks.
Default

The 4010 and 4011 carb was Holley's attemp to modernize thier carbs. But sales was so bad Holley had to drop production - no-one wanted a carb that didn't look like a Holley no matter the improvements. Glad to see Summit picked up the rights and tooling - and at a great price to us.

Thx for sharing ioky,
cardo0
cardo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Roco71
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Vero Beach FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iokepakai View Post
That's cool you like the carb! Did you change the jet sizes? This carb seems to be all Holley except the body,and the booster clusters.Adjustments are really ez on this carb,I love the sight windows for the fuel level.
I sprung for the remanufactured carb thinking all the defects would be worked out,it was a little cheaper than a new one.I'm anxious to see how this carb performs with the annular boosters.Before going to work I had to see how she starts up cold and I wasn't disappointed! Hit the pedal to close the choke and she fired right up...yahooo....
Mine is a re-manufactured as well. I have not done anything to it other than set the float level. Runs pretty good right out the box.
Roco71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
scottyp99
CF Senior Member
 
scottyp99's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Oxford MA-----You just lost the game!!!!
Default

Do you guys see any improvement in fuel mileage with these carbs? I'm thinking about getting one. I like the idea of dropping 5 lbs. with an aluminum carb, along with the ease of tuning. I'm wondering if the annular discharge boosters have an effect on fuel efficiency, though.


Keep it between the ditches!
Scott
scottyp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Ralphbf
CF Senior Member
 
Ralphbf's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Woodland California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp99 View Post
Do you guys see any improvement in fuel mileage with these carbs? I'm thinking about getting one. I like the idea of dropping 5 lbs. with an aluminum carb, along with the ease of tuning. I'm wondering if the annular discharge boosters have an effect on fuel efficiency, though.
I got a real good deal on an Edelbrock 750 with manual secondary's.

The engine runs good and the exhaust looks just about right.

It does stumble from time to time.

I know it's to big and have been thinking about replacing it.

An improved Holley sounds pretty good to me.

Ralph
Ralphbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
scottyp99
CF Senior Member
 
scottyp99's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Oxford MA-----You just lost the game!!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphbf View Post
I got a real good deal on an Edelbrock 750 with manual secondary's.

The engine runs good and the exhaust looks just about right.

It does stumble from time to time.

I know it's to big and have been thinking about replacing it.

An improved Holley sounds pretty good to me.

Ralph
We are talking about Summit Racing's store brand 4 barrel carb.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08600VS/


Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
scottyp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #11
Ralphbf
CF Senior Member
 
Ralphbf's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Woodland California
Default

Me too.

In this thread someone stated this was a holley design that didn't sell well because it didn't have the Holley look.

Ralph
Ralphbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
Roco71
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Vero Beach FL
Default

I wish I could tell you if the mileage has improved or not but I do not have a fair comparison. When I got my car it was not running the carburetor that went with the car was in pieces and some of them missing. I put a Edelbrock that I had on it to get it running but it ran rich so I bought the Summit.
Roco71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
iokepakai
CF Senior Member
 
iokepakai's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Kona Hawaii
Default Update

Went for a test run on Sunday cuz Saturday was raining and I just cleaned the vette and didn't want to get it dirty haha!
This carb continues to impress me for sure.Motor started right up fast idle 1500rpm and with a slight tap she settled down and continued to warm up at about 1100rpm.After a few minutes the choke pulled off and she had a steady idle at 850rpm,she never did that before.I always had to mess with the idle with the old carb.No popping or sputtering while pulling out of garage.With the old carb it had to be fully warmed up before starting off.Now I'm getting a smile on my face.Took the vette for a cruise around the neighborhood,she's running smooth so lets go for a longer test drive,get some ethanol free fuel,put this carb to the test.Drive out to my lonely test road make sure 5-0 is not lurking anywhere and drop the hammer down! Holy crap vette pulls strong through all gears no hesitation what so ever.Now this is how this 350 should run,nice and strong,Smile gets even bigger.After a few blast down the test road I shut her off to see if she will heat soak and pull a plug to see how she's running.Plug looks good with the stock jetting,plugs were always black with the old carb.Ok let's see how she starts hot,after a quick crank she fired right up and the idle was rock steady around 850rpm right where I had set it on Thursday.I always had a problem keeping the idle where I set it with the old carb.Where I live I have to climb some steep hills so I was curious to see how she would pull on those hills going home and I was not disappointed.Part throttle power and then going to 3/4 throttle and on to full throttle which was really not needed but sure felt good!
I'll give the Summit carb a !It may look like an old design but they must have taken care of the problems that caused it to fail.It seems to be set up perfect for my mild 350.It is a lot lighter,doesn't heat soak like the old carb did and it idles great.There is a lot of adjustability built into it using mostly Holley parts.You can change the idle air bleeds,and change accellerator squirters by removing the booster cluster.Those parts must be purchased through Summit.The DVD that comes with the carb shows you how to do it if needed.
Can't say anything about the MPG cuz I had my foot in it every chance I had, more smiles! Carb is way lighter and the price is very reasonable,I paid 229.99 for a reman unit plus shipping.This carb has good street manners and will scream when you want it to.Wish I had a girlfriend that was like that! Aloha's .....

Last edited by iokepakai; 02-27-2012 at 02:18 PM.
iokepakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
scottyp99
CF Senior Member
 
scottyp99's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Oxford MA-----You just lost the game!!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iokepakai View Post
Went for a test run on Sunday cuz Saturday was raining and I just cleaned the vette and didn't want to get it dirty haha!
This carb continues to impress me for sure.Motor started right up fast idle 1500rpm and with a slight tap she settled down and continued to warm up at about 1100rpm.After a few minutes the choke pulled off and she had a steady idle at 850rpm,she never did that before.I always had to mess with the idle with the old carb.No popping or sputtering while pulling out of garage.With the old carb it had to be fully warmed up before starting off.Now I'm getting a smile on my face.Took the vette for a cruise around the neighborhood,she's running smooth so lets go for a longer test drive,get some ethanol free fuel,put this carb to the test.Drive out to my lonely test road make sure 5-0 is not lurking anywhere and drop the hammer down! Holy crap vette pulls strong through all gears no hesitation what so ever.Now this is how this 350 should run,nice and strong,Smile gets even bigger.After a few blast down the test road I shut her off to see if she will heat soak and pull a plug to see how she's running.Plug looks good with the stock jetting,plugs were always black with the old carb.Ok let's see how she starts hot,after a quick crank she fired right up and the idle was rock steady around 850rpm right where I had set it on Thursday.I always had a problem keeping the idle where I set it with the old carb.Where I live I have to climb some steep hills so I was curious to see how she would pull on those hills going home and I was not disappointed.Part throttle power and then going to 3/4 throttle and on to full throttle which was really not needed but sure felt good!
I'll give the Summit carb a !It may look like an old design but they must have taken care of the problems that caused it to fail.It seems to be set up perfect for my mild 350.It is a lot lighter,doesn't heat soak like the old carb did and it idles great.There is a lot of adjustability built into it using mostly Holley parts.You can change the idle air bleeds,and change accellerator squirters by removing the booster cluster.Those parts must be purchased through Summit.The DVD that comes with the carb shows you how to do it if needed.
Can't say anything about the MPG cuz I had my foot in it every chance I had, more smiles! Carb is way lighter and the price is very reasonable,I paid 229.99 for a reman unit plus shipping.This carb has good street manners and will scream when you want it to.Wish I had a girlfriend that was like that! Aloha's .....

"This carb has good street manners and will scream when you want it to.Wish I had a girlfriend that was like that!"

:o:hu rray::bb


Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
scottyp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
iokepakai
CF Senior Member
 
iokepakai's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Kona Hawaii
Default Fuel line

For those that are interested I used Summits adjustable fuel line with the filter and fuel pressure gauge that I had mounted for the old carb.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3120-1/?rtype=10
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Just had to use a tubing cutting and trim 3/8 inch off the end of the rear fuel line that goes into the filter housing.Worked out great no leaks.Read on some forums that some guys had trouble with the supplied fuel line leaking...
iokepakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
Roco71
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Vero Beach FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iokepakai View Post
For those that are interested I used Summits adjustable fuel line with the filter and fuel pressure gauge that I had mounted for the old carb.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3120-1/?rtype=10
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Just had to use a tubing cutting and trim 3/8 inch off the end of the rear fuel line that goes into the filter housing.Worked out great no leaks.Read on some forums that some guys had trouble with the supplied fuel line leaking...
What are you using for a throttle cable bracket?
Roco71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
iokepakai
CF Senior Member
 
iokepakai's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Kona Hawaii
Default Throttle Bracket

Using this throttle bracket.No more auto trans so not using the kickdown cable anymore...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1414/?rtype=10
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
There are several other types you can use,depends on how you want it to look....
iokepakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
Roco71
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Vero Beach FL
Default

Thanks, I am using the stock bracket which will eventually fail if not modified. I see some of the fancy brackets run 70, 80 plus.
Roco71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #19
iokepakai
CF Senior Member
 
iokepakai's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Kona Hawaii
Default

Fuel line pic:[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
iokepakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
gdh
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2000
Location: 72 vert. Orangeville, Ontario
Default

Great review, thank-you for this post I am sure many of us have been wondering about this Summit branded carb.
gdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Summit 600cfm Carburetor Review
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Head Gasket Roller Cam Swap iokepakai C3 Tech/Performance 38 09-04-2013 08:05 AM
Richmond 6-Spd Update iokepakai C3 Tech/Performance 8 11-20-2012 05:34 PM
78 Silver Anniv What to Offer? iokepakai C3 General 10 10-17-2012 06:32 PM
New Demon Carb iokepakai C3 Tech/Performance 1 07-31-2012 04:09 PM
What Carb & CFM on your SBC? MPG.... iokepakai C3 General 19 05-13-2012 01:08 AM


Tags
4100, 600, carb, carburetor, carburetors, cfm, corvette, forum, gas, jets, mileage, racing, review, reviews, summit


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Emails & Password Backup