C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Joenski
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper Question

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and have a question on brake calipers for my 72.

I am replacing all brake components and am deciding on what calipers to buy. I know the problems associated with the split 4 piston calipers so I want to buy ones that I won't have issues with. Do you recommend stainless steel calipers only or will standard calipers be just fine?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:54 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I have had SS calipers on my 78 since 1985 with OEM O ring seals and have never had a problem with the calipers leaking on a car that sits most of the time. I would not recommend non stainless steel sleeved calipers since the bores will pit over time and the calipers will leak. I do not think that the lip seal calipers are necessary. Just change the brakes fluid every 3 years or so and you will be fine. Hope that helps!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your calipers are stainless steel sleaved then I would just clean, paint, and rebuild with an O-ring kit.

Here is a full O-ring kit for $150 shipped with new bolts and bleeders.
http://fixvetteparts.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

Last edited by Marlin; 03-04-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Controversial as this subject always is, my suggestion would be stainless sleeved calipers and DOT 5 silicone fluid. Just about as 'set it and forget it' as it gets.

If you've got a bunch of burning a hole in your pocket, Wilwood makes aluminum replacement calipers that are lighter weight than OEM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Getting pretty hard to find a set of calipers that haven't been sleeved yet anyway.

I changed mine over to O-Rings a few years ago, completely solved the air-pumping and also the weeping problems. That being said, now that my rotors are running properly the air-pump issue is a mute point.

Mooser
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Mgrad92
Racer

Just bought a complete set of calipers form Stainless Sterl Brake Corporation. Didn't realize how bad the original pistons were until I took them off. Holy cow!
I had no problem instaling or bleeding the new brakes because SSBC provided very good literature with the system.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Joenski
Cruising

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll definitely go with the stainless steel. The current calipers are original to the car so they are not sleeved already.

Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Marlin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joenski
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll definitely go with the stainless steel. The current calipers are original to the car so they are not sleeved already.

Thanks again!
Did you pop the seal off to see?

The caliper is not stainless steel but there is a SS sleave inside where the piston is. If that is there then you can rebuild.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Joenski
Cruising

I just popped off the seals and removed the calipers. I've rebuilt pistons before but this is kind of new to me...How can I tell if they're stainless steel sleeved or not? I'm trying to post pictures but am having some trouble.

Last edited by Joenski; 03-04-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Incorrect wording
Old 03-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Marlin
Drifting

Here are some pistures that show what it looks like...

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/joe...ructions.shtml

The SS sleave stands out once you know what you are looking for. When I took mine apart it was pretty clear mine are SS sleaved. So 1 4 wheel O-ring kit from above is on its way for my car. That and new rotors and Performance friction brakes pads.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
I have had SS calipers on my 78 since 1985 with OEM O ring seals and have never had a problem with the calipers leaking on a car that sits most of the time. I would not recommend non stainless steel sleeved calipers since the bores will pit over time and the calipers will leak. I do not think that the lip seal calipers are necessary. Just change the brakes fluid every 3 years or so and you will be fine. Hope that helps!
This information is backwards. OEM seals are lip seals and aftermarket like VB&P are O-ring seals.

I highly recommend O-ring seals if your calipers have stainless steel inserts.

Rick B.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Joenski
Cruising

Thanks for all the info. It looks lik my calipers are in fact SS sleeved. I'll go with an o-ring rebuild kit similar to what Marlin is doing. Thanks again for all the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper Question

Quick Reply: Caliper Question