C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name these engine harness connectors!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Turbotrad
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Name these engine harness connectors!

So I fried a critical part of my engine wiring harness in my '69 and I am about to rip it out and install a new one from Lectric Limited.

I have a couple questions about connectors I had never noticed before being taped off.

For example...

Here is the portion of the harness that connects to the wiper motor.

In my car the red/white connector and the single wire black connector aren't attached to anything and are taped off with electrical tape.

I assume the black wire is for a ground terminal, but there is no ground terminal on my wiper motor.

What is the red/white connector for?

Second example...

Here is the portion of the harness that connects to the heater blower motor.

Here is how the harness is currently connected to my blower motor.

As you can see in my car the orange wire connector is plugged in to a wire that runs through what appears to be a filter/capacitor and then loops around to plug into the only other socket on the motor housing (aside from the ground spade on the left).

So, what is the black two-wire connector for?

I appreciate the help. I obviously could install the new harness in the same fashion, but there extra connectors make me curious and I like answers.

-Brad
Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Not sure what the previoius owner has left you. The capacitor on the blower motor is for radio interference. Do you have the 69 assembly instruction manual (AIM)? My 69 AIM has a wiring diagram in it. The color codes and wire gauges in the diagram could help identify your mystery connectors.

Be aware the harness probably has connectors not used on your car or with your options combination.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Turbotrad
Racer

Yeah I figure they are option related since the associated components have always worked.

I just don't know what options they apply to.

My AIM diagram is helpful, but it shows the connectors going to the wiper motor and the blower motor respectively with no explanation as to where they connect.

I have seen a wiper motor on a later model vette with an extra spade connector, presumably for the black wire/connector, but my motor doesn't have that provision.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:09 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Black wire goes to ground terminal on wiper motor, Red/ white wire goes to small red wire from left end of wiper motor. The last time I saw the red/white wire taped like that some one had bypassed the override switch. Go to wilcox site for wiper wiring troubleshooting help.
mark
Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Checked my AIM. Red and white are for the wiper limit switch;

Double blacks ground on the blower motor. Looking at your pic, the ground terminal might be missing. AIM sheet U69 A4 shows the grounding terminal and the RFI capacitor.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Turbotrad
Racer

So if I don't have a Red/White wire coming from my wiper motor does that mean I don't really have a 1969 wiper motor?

I assume later model Vettes don't have that wire since they didn't have vacuum actuated wiper doors which is the whole reason for the limit switch.

Are the connectors on later model wiper motors the same, minus the Red/White wire?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
69ttop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A '68 wiper motor will burn wires in a '69 engine and dash harness. The 12v and ground are different. Make sure you have the right wiper motor for the right year. I had to replace the engine harness and repair
the dash harness caused by the previous owner.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

The blower motor and wiper share a common ground. That is the black wire. It grounds to the block at the starter. It is common for it to be put on the pos terminal by mistake.
Mike
Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

on my 72, the red-white 12 gauge wire plugs into a connector on a 16 gauge brown wire that emerges from the driver side of the wiper housing near the firewall. there is a grounding lug screwed to the wiper housing just to the driver's side of the blue wire (green-yellow-blue connector). i think the brown wire is the reversing terminal to park the motor-but i've been wrong before. i had to rebuild the wiring harnesses from several that had been cut-up, so mine aren't year specific, but they're ok for a basic system.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Turbotrad
Racer

Thanks for all the help so far.

My wiper motor grounding terminal currently had a wire the runs to a valvecover bolt. That seems incorrect to me. Why would someone tape off the ground wire from the harness and use a separate grounding wire to a valvecover bolt. Very odd.

Are your blower motors wired like mine or in another way?

As far as my wiper motor, I still need to figure out if I have the correct motor for my car.

Do people ever intentionally bypass the override switch?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Turbotrad
Racer

Fixed the blower motor ground issue. I just removed the grounding spade and fastened it to the housing with the screw closest to the wiring harness grounding connector and lo and behold the wire was just long enough to reach and plug in. Someone wiring this car was an idiot.

I still have no grounding spade on my wiper motor and no red/white wire coming from the motor itself.

I have no idea why I don't have a grounding spade on the motor housing, but if there is no red/white wire then I probably don't have a '69 wiper motor, right?

The whole point of the red/white wire is to interrupt power via the wiper door limit switch.

No wonder my limit switch never worked and the wipers always hit the wiper door before it opened...

Get notified of new replies

To Name these engine harness connectors!

Quick Reply: Name these engine harness connectors!