C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Tachometer

The tachometer on my 1978 does not work, I have checked the fuses, what should I check out next?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoopysvet
The tachometer on my 1978 does not work, I have checked the fuses, what should I check out next?

Do all the other gauges work correctly? Do they illuminate when you turn on the headlights?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The next thing that is easiest to check is the connection to the distributor.

It's not unusual for the tach driver board to fail, but you have to remove the cluster to examine it. The used tach that I bought had a very obvious burned etch on the board. If you need a new one, buy one from Willcox. They re-designed the board so that it only uses 1 IC instead of the several used on reproduction boards (welcome to the 21st century). You could check the Willcox website to see if there are any troubleshooting procedures that you can do before removing the cluster.

BTW, the gauge illumination is a different circuit so whether that works or not will not affect the tach operation.

Rick B.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

When I wrote this...it was to replace a board in a 78 Pace Car...should provide some background information.

Tach Boards
Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 AM
68thumper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine stopped working and I replaced the tach board...works fine now.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

When you turn the key on, what does the tach do?
Does it go to zero, or is it showing a reading?

The tach on your car works off three things; power, ground and signal. If the tach is getting power and ground and if the board is good it will go to zero when the key is turned on. If this is what you are seeing, then go to the tach filter and bypass it.. see if the tach works.

See if the tach works. If it works then you need to replace the filter. If it fails to work then you should go to the pages listed below. I have a ton of info on the site on how to diagnosis your problem.

Tach Technical pictures can be found here: http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...&keywords=tach

Corvette Tachometer Testing, Removal, Board Installation, Video Link 1978-1982

Corvette Speedometer and Tach Housing Removal Instructions 1978-1982

Or you can search all the "Help and Repair" files for tach by clicking on this link..

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...s=tach&x=0&y=0

If you need to install the tach board, I have a long running thread with video links on how to do this as well.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Tachometer

Quick Reply: Tachometer