C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear spring to lower?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 AM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Default rear spring to lower?

Does anyone make a replacement rear spring to help lower a C3? You can go only so far with the longer bolts. I sure would like another 1 to 2 inches but I don't want spring or bolts hitting tires or ground.

and yes I have looked at lots of ads for springs. none of them tell me what I want to know
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eaton makes springs in different heights. However, I bought a rear spring from them in stock height and needed to use 2" lowering bolts to level it out.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/index.html
Old 07-12-2012, 02:59 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

If 8" bolts won't do the trick, you either have a highly arched spring or you're attempting to slam it far past lowered ride heights typically recommended for improved RR/AX performance. Curious; where are your Z and D heights now?

Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Curious; where are your Z and D heights now?

What are the recommended measurements?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:22 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

IF you are still running the stock steel spring bring it to a spring shop and have them take some arch out for you.

I had mine done twice until I got it the way I wanted.

The spring ends were to close to the wheels/tires so I had arch taken out so I could use short bolts and the spring end is now inside the wheel.

Neal
Old 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MIKE80
What are the recommended measurements?
With full tank of fuel and driver's weight aboard, Z = 1" - 1.25", D = 1.25", by the "book". In addition, raising the diff and lowering the camber struts may be necessary to minimize rear-toe steer and improve camber gain, but doing so can change D math.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 PM
dburgjohn
Drifting

I would love to do that, but no one here (or close) does it. I love so far out in the sticks the UPS has to bring the sun shine.

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
IF you are still running the stock steel spring bring it to a spring shop and have them take some arch out for you.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 PM
dburgjohn
Drifting

I understand the drawing, but am not sure how to measure that with what I have on hand

Curious; where are your Z and D heights now?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Park on a level surface with the suspension settled and measure up to the CL's of the inner and outer camber strut bolts and subtract for the difference and you'll have your D height. Up front for Z height, you're looking for the difference in height from the ground to the bottom surface of the steering knuckle to that of the front, lower control arm CL's. Simple tape measure, or even a ruler will do.

The reason I always stress these particular dimensions over fender well or rocker heights is that non-OE tire sizes can substantially alter either of those latter specs.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will have to find 10 inch long bolts. I think that VB&P sold them at one time. I seem to remember they were supposed to be used on a C4. But a 9/16 grade 8 national fine thread bolt is what you probably need. A good industrial fastener house might have a couple for you, as well.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Park on a level surface with the suspension settled and measure up to the CL's of the inner and outer camber strut bolts and subtract for the difference and you'll have your D height. Up front for Z height, you're looking for the difference in height from the ground to the bottom surface of the steering knuckle to that of the front, lower control arm CL's. Simple tape measure, or even a ruler will do.

The reason I always stress these particular dimensions over fender well or rocker heights is that non-OE tire sizes can substantially alter either of those latter specs.
I recently measured mine, but I did it from the ground to the center fender wheel lip. My measurements from that are 26.5" front and 27.5" rear. I'll check using the method that you described. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM
69ttop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I did my restoration I bought a replacment rear 9 leaf spring and installed it. I also found that the car sat up too high. so I too went through all the half *** stuff with the longer bolts which really didnt lower the car that much. I realized that the factory 9 leaf factory spring had 3 flat short top leafs and the new spring had 3 curved top leafs.
I exchanged the curved leafs with the 3 short flat leafs which made the car return to the factory ride hight with the factory 6 inch bolts.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:24 PM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Default in the event...

I have some 10 inch bolts, they get the bolts too close to the ground in the event of a flat and the spring too close to the wheel in the event of a curve
Old 07-15-2012, 12:38 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Originally Posted by dburgjohn
I have some 10 inch bolts, they get the bolts too close to the ground in the event of a flat and the spring too close to the wheel in the event of a curve
I had a set of 10" bolts, but went back to 8". When I was using them I cut 1" off and made them 9" and flipped the front bolts threads up.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

I got 1" on both front and right rear, left rear was 1.25" following your measurements. I did not have anyone inside and only a 1/2 tank of gas. VBP performance plus suspension, 17x9.5 wheels, and 275/40 tires all around. To wheel lip from ground 26.5" both front, 27.5" left rear, and 27.25" right rear. Also measured from the ground to the inner and outer of both half shafts and got 10 3/8" for all readings, so they look nice and level.

Last edited by MIKE80; 07-15-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Correction for last measurement.

Get notified of new replies

To rear spring to lower?

Quick Reply: rear spring to lower?