C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where does the ground strap from the motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Where does the ground strap from the motor mount

Where does the ground strap from the motor mount connect to the frame it's about a foot and 1/2 long and I pulled it off while pulling the motor
Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes Sir; I think the original ground, was one of the motor mount bolts, Real Pain. I have mine in the second bolt up on the front, lower part of the block. of the engine, But I have an electric fuel pump, The bottom hole, is where the A/C brace is bolted to. If you have a manual fuel pump, the top hole is used to run a long bolt into to hold the fuel pump rod, when changing manual fuel pump. Use care of bolt length if you use this hole. Have a great day, Gene
Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Thanks Gene I know where it connects to the motor mount but I am looking for where it goes from there, or in other words where does it connects to the frame or where the other end goes. I pulled the motor and couldn't disconnect the motor mount end because the poly mount had melted.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:19 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Most that I have seen are bolted to the top of the frame a few inches back from the idler arm,should be a 5/16 bolt similiar to the ones fastening the fuel and brake lines.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:41 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My 69 (BB) that ground cable runs from the motor mount frame stand to the block just forward of the starter. I've seen some SB cars that cable went to the bolt for the front starter brace from the frame.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi MH,
On my 71 sb the ground strap runs from the upper bolt for the starter re-inforcement/brace, (the bolt goes into the side of the block), to a bolt that's through a hole in the rear side of the frame bracket for the engine mount. There's a star washer on the bolt at each location.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

OK I found it, it was actually under the motor mount itself, thanks for the help, actually if I run solid motor mount I probably don't even need it
Old 04-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Does not really matter as long as it is a clean spot on the frame. I use a star washer so I get good contact. You like me are NCRS correct so you have to make sure it is in the right place though! Mine is on the frame horn for the motor mount.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:31 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Check resistance too.

I doesn't hurt to check for continuity with an ohmmeter - should be less than 2 ohms to any other ground on the car. Many times cables will corrode up or the bolted/screwed connections corrode and lose continuity. Sounds trivial but off roaders have been known to find corroded cables open circuit inside the insulation jacket.

Just a thought,
cardo0

Get notified of new replies

To Where does the ground strap from the motor mount

Quick Reply: Where does the ground strap from the motor mount