C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather and PCV location on Covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Xterrable
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather and PCV location on Covers

I just got my engine back from the builder and he gave me a set of tall fabricated valve covers so they clear my valve train. The valve covers are solid and need holes cut in for the breather and PCV valve. I dont have any pics which show their location when I took the motor out..

I have a 74 with all the emissions stuff removed.

Where do you all have your breather and Valves located. On the front or rear of the valve cover? I was afraid that the breather in the rear may interfere with air cleaner.

Thoughts? Pictures?

- Thanks
Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

On stock engines, PCV was in the left cover. Air cleaner connection was on the right side.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

That's correct. And the reason for the PCV on the driver's side and the breather on the passenger side has to do with engine rotation and windage created in the crankcase: Having the PCV on the driver's side actually makes the system more effective. You can drill the holes off-center (forward or aft of centerline) to clear components, such as the air cleaner: Most Chevy valve covers have the holes at about the 75% location fore/aft, with the driver's side PCV being forward of centerline, and the passenger side breather being aft of center. Check location of the planned hole in relationship to the rocker arms: Don't put the hole directly over a rocker, but put it so it is aligned between a pair of rockers in that open space. This will prevent direct oil splash onto the penetration location. You'll still want to have a baffle/shield inside the cover to keep direct oil off the hole location.

Last edited by lars; 04-07-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:09 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Lars, good to see you posting, I hope your health is improving.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:56 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by '75
Lars, good to see you posting, I hope your health is improving.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Xterrable
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear from you Lars!!!

The covers do not have baffles. The builder said he has grommets the go into the cover an inch or so that tapers to a small slit and it acts much like the metal baffle... True?

So as far as the position on each valve cover, 75% of the way fromt/back sounds like the same position as the short ones I took off.

is there a preference as to closer to the front or rear of the valve cover? Does one look better than the other?

Get notified of new replies

To Breather and PCV location on Covers

Quick Reply: Breather and PCV location on Covers