C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid axle

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 AM
jackdaddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solid axle

you do with your money what you want to!! Talked to Autofab today about there 4-link setup, $5200.00 plus shipping. I am going to go the solid axle route and will be a street car. how to go the 4-link route and not spend so much? Need to hear from guys who have done this and drive on the street and way,s to save cash and still get great finished product. thank,s Jackie
Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jackdaddy
you do with your money what you want to!! Talked to Autofab today about there 4-link setup, $5200.00 plus shipping. I am going to go the solid axle route and will be a street car. how to go the 4-link route and not spend so much? Need to hear from guys who have done this and drive on the street and way,s to save cash and still get great finished product. thank,s Jackie

Do like they did back before after market kits and shops that charge $90+ an hour for custom labor. Take measurements and research different makes and models of rear ends and see what came out stock that will handle your power goals. Walk around a salvage yard until you find that axle and buy it on the cheap. Set up your frame so it's perfectly level and up off the ground giving you room to work. Now support your axle with jack stands and a jig so you can position it just how you want it. Research and read about what geometry you want and draw out and design your own brackets. Now use scrap steel and store bought steel and start cutting and welding and test fitting and cutting and welding and test fitting. Just go slow and keep building your brackets until you have the axle mounted, shocks / springs mounted, and everything moves the way you want with no binding or rubbing and proper ride height. Once it's all together, test drive, and change based on your findings. Ever wonder why the kits cost so much?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:39 PM
flynnd_33
Instructor

http://autofabcart.net/1968-1982corv...4-linkkit.aspx

buy this
Old 12-23-2012, 03:09 PM
hotsam
Heel & Toe

buy the 1100 dollar kit from them. then do all the rear fabricating yourself. I have less than 2000 in my whole setup. I bought a housing, cut it down, then bought a lightened aluminum spool,strange axles and disk brake kit. it can be done just shop around for your stuff. The 5000 dollar kit is the whole setup they build diff and all ready to go. I did it myself and got away alot cheaper. Make sure you let them know if you use a truck housing that is 3 1/4" they will cut out the brackets before they send you the kit. their standard hole is 3". My car is full race only. not sure about handling. check out bluzman, and corvette daves posts. they use their cars dual purpose.

Get notified of new replies

To solid axle

Quick Reply: solid axle