C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'76 heater control

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Marine93
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '76 heater control

How's it going? ok, I'm new here and am knee deep in my resto. I am doing this for my son while he's over seas in Afghanistan and I am in charge of this project. With that said, this resto is going to be a complete custom job, we are not worried about keeping things original and because he bought a new Hurst shifter, using the old console is not an option. I am a master carpenter so making a new console and instrument bezel for the gauges and stereo will not be a problem, my question is can I put a heater/ac controller from a '80 to '82 in there? the car originally had AC but we are not replacing that, so no AC. Do I need a different heater core? all I want is the heat to come on when he turns it on and the fan to work... thanks, any help will be appreciated! the car is a 1976E just to let you know.

Last edited by Marine93; 11-21-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: I forgot some info
Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

The 80-82 looks completely different so what you do is based on your fabrication skills. Unless the core is bad no reason to change it.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't see why using a Hurst shifter will render the stock console a goner. People make this switch all the time without having to change the console. Are you doing something else that would necessitate this?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:18 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Brcmpbl
I don't see why using a Hurst shifter will render the stock console a goner. People make this switch all the time without having to change the console. Are you doing something else that would necessitate this?
Agree.. We just installed one a few weeks ago. The shifter will work with both the auto and the manual upper shift boot.

Will the heater control work??? Not sure but you'd have to dissect each vacuum hose for the heater control and then possibly custom attach them to the newer heater control vacuum select switch. I've never checked if the hose from the 1969-1976 style cars will fit the later control switch.

It should be interesting to see how this turns out if you try it. I'll follow along.

Willcox
Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Marine93
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heres the thing

Well the Hurst shifter he bought is one of those dual ratchet shifters, with that said I most likely could have made things work, but with the special mods that he..(my son) wants, I thought it best to just scrap the whole console (which wasn't in that great of shape anyway) and fab a whole new one. I didn't like the style of the heater control so thats why I want to swap it for a newer version... if it's possible I'll do it, and I hope it is because I sold the original so... now I'm committed. I did notice that the vacuum hook-up is close so what your saying is I have to sit and stick one hose on at a time and see what triggers what right? I just like the looks of the newer control and this car is going to be anything but original, I'm not talking about making it a rolling circus but I am doing lots of interior mods, the exterior will be true 1976 with side pipes and clean... thanks for the help! I am going to need lots!!

Get notified of new replies

To '76 heater control

Quick Reply: '76 heater control