C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'78 Aftermarket radio wiring question

Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 PM
pancake
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '78 Aftermarket radio wiring question

I picked up a single-din Kenwood to install into the gaping hole where a radio should have been. According to the previous owner, the car was equipped with a non-functioning Audiovox CB AM/FM 8 Track when he picked it up (and never replaced).

Here is my dilemma:

I have the wiring diagrams and the AIM.. and neither appear to show the wiring colors (unless I am missing it somewhere) for the radio system. This car has the power CB antenna (also non-functional) and the rear speaker option. Here are the wires that have no home:

Lt brown/Gray pair
Dk brown/Yellow pair
Lt Blue/Dk Blue pair
Lt Green/Dk Green

There is a black connector with 3 contacts in it that has 2 yellows, 1 Lt Gray.. and a black wire comes out of that harness but does not go into the connector.

And there are two orange wires that are spliced together with a fused red wire coming off of it. This may actually be one orange wire that had a piece of insulation removed and the red wire is spliced into it.

1 yellow wire and 1 orange wire run under the center console to the CB radio box.

I am assuming that the factory radio may have been wired up stereo, but did not have a front/rear fader. If that's so, then I will run new wire to the four speakers... which I haven't replaced yet but will soon.

Now back to my question.. Can anyone help me identify these wires so i can either use them or remove the ones not being used (as in CB radio box...)

Thanks,
Eric
Old 04-19-2012, 03:55 PM
pancake
Instructor

Funny. I can't find anything using the forum search function then I go to google and try and it comes up with this link:

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/tune...l/index6.shtml

So now I have my answers. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:55 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have some more questions let me know; I did this a while back and since my engine is out anyway I could take some pictures for you.

< RANT > By the way, the forum search is terrible indeed. Some argue people aren't using it the right way, but it's just not cutting it. Google custom search or a Google GSA would be a way better solution. < RANT \>
Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 PM
pancake
Instructor

No more help needed... I've installed several radios and just needed to figure out the factory wiring. The radio is in and working now.. complete with hands free blue tooth..

but thanks!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:58 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Good to hear, enjoy! Anything special in the speaker department?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM
pancake
Instructor

Nope. I'm weighing options to put some modern replacements in. Probably a 4x6 plate up front and 6x9 three ways out back. I dunno. My days of having big amps and subs are long since over.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 566 Likes on 453 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i have Bluetooth and XM and with my android phone great navigation. the cutting edge today like the am/FM/CB it came with was in the day
Old 04-20-2012, 09:22 PM
78 silver 78
Instructor

Originally Posted by pancake
I picked up a single-din Kenwood to install into the gaping hole where a radio should have been. According to the previous owner, the car was equipped with a non-functioning Audiovox CB AM/FM 8 Track when he picked it up (and never replaced).

Here is my dilemma:

I have the wiring diagrams and the AIM.. and neither appear to show the wiring colors (unless I am missing it somewhere) for the radio system. This car has the power CB antenna (also non-functional) and the rear speaker option. Here are the wires that have no home:

Lt brown/Gray pair
Dk brown/Yellow pair
Lt Blue/Dk Blue pair
Lt Green/Dk Green

There is a black connector with 3 contacts in it that has 2 yellows, 1 Lt Gray.. and a black wire comes out of that harness but does not go into the connector.

And there are two orange wires that are spliced together with a fused red wire coming off of it. This may actually be one orange wire that had a piece of insulation removed and the red wire is spliced into it.

1 yellow wire and 1 orange wire run under the center console to the CB radio box.

I am assuming that the factory radio may have been wired up stereo, but did not have a front/rear fader. If that's so, then I will run new wire to the four speakers... which I haven't replaced yet but will soon.

Now back to my question.. Can anyone help me identify these wires so i can either use them or remove the ones not being used (as in CB radio box...)

Thanks,
Eric
starting with the plug, the black wire is ground. You should have 2 yellow wires, one is power w/key on.The other goes under console to antenna relay.Gray is for light in radio.

2 blues and yellow and brown wires are for rear speakers. 2 greens and tan and gray are front speakers.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:03 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

One can do nice things with speakers without using gazillion amp woofers

Pioneer speakers set matching the Pioneer headunit. Good low, mid and upper range sound, no extra amp required. Kinda oldskool already though; unit only reads MP3 from disc. Perhaps a USB/Smartphone compatible unit in the near future...

Get notified of new replies

To '78 Aftermarket radio wiring question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '78 Aftermarket radio wiring question