C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a BBC serpentine setup work on my zz502

Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 PM
vetteguy112233
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a BBC serpentine setup work on my zz502

I was given a BBC serpentine setup from a 90's BBC Chev engine. Im going to get it this weekend, but thought I would see what challenges I might run into installing it in my 78 with a zz502?

My boss did this on his older Chev truck which has a BBC and claims it was a direct fit to his engine.

Who has done this and what should I expect? For right now I just have an alternator, P/S, crank and short water pump. The A/C was gutted from my car before I bought it, but I'm considering putting it back on. If I don't I guess I'll need to find an A/C delete pulley or something similar.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect you may run into a few problems. You'll have to switch to a long water pump to get the reverse rotation the serpentine system needs. That will not allow the use of a mechanical fan. Assuming the accessory bolt holes are all the same I think you may still run into hood clearance problems. If I recall from a fleet truck we had the big block serpentine brackets sat very high on the engine. Adapting the modern alternator from that setup isn't bad and if you don't use an A/C delete pulley then you could always retrofit your factory A/C setup to the later model compressor that goes with that bracket set.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM
vetteguy112233
Racer

So would I be better off getting a small block serpentine set and converting it to fit?

I forgot to mention that I already have electric fans, so that's not an issue. Getting a new water pump isn't a huge issue, it sucks, but not a huge issue.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 PM
vetteguy112233
Racer

Maybe I should have worded it this way:

Will a SBC serpentine setup fit better under the hood than the BBC setup... I have access to both!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Originally Posted by vetteguy112233
Maybe I should have worded it this way:

Will a SBC serpentine setup fit better under the hood than the BBC setup... I have access to both!

I recall seeing someone on Ebay selling a kit of brackets that allows the small block serpentine stuff to be bolted to a big block. Might be a good way to change up, and since the small block serpentine has fit under many stock hoods I think you have much better chances. I personally have not not done it and I haven't seen anyone lately so maybe someone else will jump in with a bit more information.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM
vetteguy112233
Racer

I've decided that the SBC brackets are the way to go. Kwik performance makes the adapter plates:
http://www.kwikperf.com/bbc_serp_kit.html

I want to make my own and save the $, here is a link to a guy that gives nicely detailed specs:
http://www.fidnet.com/~harleyms/serpentine%20page.htm

Does anyone know what crank pulley I will need and if the crossmember will need to be modified for this?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay, here's the thing with the SBC serp brackets. To get them to fit under a hood (even an L88 hood) you have to get them to lean outboard a bit. I don't think the brackets you're looking at do that. The brackets I used came from a 91 S10 Pickup with a V6 and included the AC comp, alt and PSP for $200. I used this set because the pick ups didn't have the air pump on the bracket and looked cleaner in my opinion.

I got help from another guy who got me started this is not my design, but here's what I did. I used 6061 Alum 3/4 plate to start with. The plates you'll need fit the triangle pattern of the three threaded holes on the heads of the BB. Then you'll need two plates (one each side) that fit the bolt holes at the bottom of and along the sides of the timing cover. These plates (four in all, two per side) are what locate the serp brackets. Using the bottom of the serp brackets and where they mount on the plates along the timing cover, you can swing them to where you need them and locate the upper bolts of the brackets to the plates accordingly. You'll still need a long style reverse flow water pump too, I used a Flow Cooler unit that says it flows 30% more water than the stock unit. I couldn't find it in aluminum, so I had to use iron.

After I got my plates done, and the water pump in place, I had to mill 3/8's off the back of the AC bracket, and then had to shim the crank and water pump pulleys out 1/2" it get everything to line up. Which it does, perfectly.

Last edited by damoroso; 04-26-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

The truck brackets were taller and hugged into the face of the block by about half an inch if I read correctly. The Camaro and Firebird brackets don't hold the accessories as high so there isn't a need to worry about their angle. These will also be used on a big block correct? That's a whole new ball game. With the adapter plates to mate the SBC brackets to the BBC block we're either guessing or we need input from someone that has done it.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark Riles
The truck brackets were taller and hugged into the face of the block by about half an inch if I read correctly. The Camaro and Firebird brackets don't hold the accessories as high so there isn't a need to worry about their angle. These will also be used on a big block correct? That's a whole new ball game. With the adapter plates to mate the SBC brackets to the BBC block we're either guessing or we need input from someone that has done it.
I think you'll find the brackets are the same for cars or trucks, they were multi fit, and SBC and V6 are the same too. The plates are to get the brackets to bolt to the BBC, you could bolt the bottom of each directly to the block, but there's no way to do that with the top bolts, hence the plates. The alt bracket is what causes the necessity of 1/2" shims and machining of the AC bracket. You WILL have hood clearence problems if you don't move the brackets. As you can see in the pics, I'be done it.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
vetteguy112233
Racer

THANKS to everyone that has responded. This info helps a lot. So the bracket specs on this link will not work?:
http://www.fidnet.com/~harleyms/serpentine%20page.htm
Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 PM
vetteguy112233
Racer

On my trip this weekend I'll have access to a plasma jet water cutting table, does anyone have templates that I could use to make the needed pieces?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Originally Posted by damoroso
I think you'll find the brackets are the same for cars or trucks, they were multi fit, and SBC and V6 are the same too. The plates are to get the brackets to bolt to the BBC, you could bolt the bottom of each directly to the block, but there's no way to do that with the top bolts, hence the plates. The alt bracket is what causes the necessity of 1/2" shims and machining of the AC bracket. You WILL have hood clearence problems if you don't move the brackets. As you can see in the pics, I'be done it.

Truck brackets. Notice the alternator holes line up horizontally.

Car brackets. See how the outer alternator mounting hole drops? That lowers the highest accessory, the alternator, to a position that better fits under hoods.

If you look up the two crank pulleys you'll also see the truck pulley is .5" shorter than the car pulleys because the bracket systems sit in closer to the block.

Last edited by Mark Riles; 04-26-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember, Vettes are special. Engine compartment space is tight with a small block, tighter still with a big block. Components made specifically for Vettes will work best. That being said, there are no big block serp setup made for a C3 Vette that I am aware of, unless March or Zoop's has something hidden in their catalog. If you are a whiz fabricator, you could make your own. Truck/Suburban BBC Serp parts might be adjusted to fit. Clearance at the A-arms and the hood will be the biggest issues. The hood can be modified, There are limits to what you can do to the suspension to make room.

Good Luck finding something.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Mark, thanks for the info, the first pic didn't make the trip though. Also, I think the tensioner is the highest part of the system though. Regardless, if you aren't looking for the "Bling" factor, adapting a factory set up (truck or car) is a very cost effective option!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Zychron
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty good thread on this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ompressor.html

Get notified of new replies

To Will a BBC serpentine setup work on my zz502

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will a BBC serpentine setup work on my zz502