C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 Corvette keyless entry help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Willoughbeast
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 Corvette keyless entry help!

Can someone pls explain to me how to wire this keyless entry system up to my 81 corvette or at least tell me what each figure means. Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please don't take this as rude but I think you may be better off calling the manufacturer for tech support. I doubt there are a lot of folks here who have installed after market keyless systems on these cars. One thing you should double check is the actuators. If you have factory electric locks find out if you have 2 wire or 5 wire actuators. It looks as though that after market kit uses 2 wire actuators and for it to work with your factory locks they too need to be 2 wire actuators.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While not a Vette, installed a Crimestopper remote entry/alarm system on a 70's Olds years ago. Car had factory power door locks/trunk release, and had the 1000 page factory service manual, with pull out color coded chassis wiring diagrams. The Crimestopper unit had 50 pages of detailed installtion instructions, with built in power relays, for direct connection to the cars actuator solenoids. Thinkin' you're missing lot's of important information here, and possibly some parts too. I'd find out as much about your entry kit and cars chassis wiring as possible, before attempting something like this. You can try posting this in the forums electronics/audio section, but you'll likely hear more of what I've just mentioned.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...tall-this.html

Check some of the posts in this link that I've listed above.

I'm about to put an alarm in my '81. I've been searching the forum for threads on any information. Search "alarm" and you'll find some related threads that have lots of information. Get a factory wiring diagram and a vehicle assembly manual and you'll be set.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mark Riles
...I think you may be better off calling the manufacturer for tech support...

It's their kit; they should be able to tell you how to install it.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I had to weld tabs to the lock arms of my 77 in order to install aftermarket actuators, then run wiring to support them. If you're not comfortable reading wiring diagrams and installing some bits, I'd seek the help of someone with some more experience.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Willoughbeast
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks I am pretty electronic savy though I have never worked with this type of wiring considering the car is so old. This is a ebay kit which there is no other info on this kit ive searched the web. The passanger side is 2 wire and the drivers side is 5 wire. I know that if I wanted to hook it up to the lights and to the horn I would have to istall relays also im just trying to understand how to get the locks to go up and down first.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

i purchased one similiar to this from jcwhitney a few years back, i believe i used the positive signal trigger schematic, tapped into the tan & gray wires at the door lock actuator in the drivers side door to actuate them. put the control unit in the drivers kick panel and got power for the locks from the orange wire that supplies power to the door lock switches. had to ground the unit at the steering column base.
its still working.

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/tune.../index24.shtml

Last edited by speedreed8; 04-26-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 Corvette keyless entry help!

Quick Reply: 81 Corvette keyless entry help!