C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Air???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:21 PM
sjmcdowell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage Air???

I just took ALL of my AC components out of my 73. The engine compartment is empty down to the fire wall. What is the VIR thing people write about?
For $1300 I can get a complete Vintage Air system. It is smaller, modern, and adapts to the thumb wheel controls. It would cost more than that to replace the major components of the old.
Should I go that way?

Sam
Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The VIR should be near the fender vent, or to the right of the AC box. There should be a line going from it to the ac box.

I chose to go with the pro6ten compressor, a parallel flow condenser and some new seals. I like my system.

Lots of guys go with Vintage Air though. I have not heard complaints about that system.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:25 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

SJ--

I am/was in your same position on my '73... Spend nearly as much to refurb the old '73 AC or upgrade to a newer model... I went with the Evap kit from Vintage Air... Got my Sanden Compressor with my March Serpentine package... Still need to get dryer, parallel flow condenser and AC lines... Just felt for the money, I would prefer the newer generation AC setup... One drawback is there is not a "fresh air" feature with the Vintage Air... I've got a convertible, so when I need fresh air, I'll roll down the windows, or drop the top...

My test fitting for the Vintage Air system started on Page 7 of my thread about half way down the page... Please feel free to check it out...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...e-resto-7.html

Rogman
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM
sjmcdowell
Advanced

Rogman,
I just finished reading your LOOOOOOOONG thread on your build. It is a great reference. It shamed me into taking off more parts. I got the Vintage Air idea from you.
Do you have a rear sway bar? I'd like to see a picture of the install. I'm trying to figure out my after market sway bar.
Good luck on your PCS. If you are half as diligent at work as at home, I can see your career going great. ( I'm a retired RF-4 WSO)
Sam
Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by sjmcdowell
Rogman,
I just finished reading your LOOOOOOOONG thread on your build. It is a great reference. It shamed me into taking off more parts. I got the Vintage Air idea from you.
Do you have a rear sway bar? I'd like to see a picture of the install. I'm trying to figure out my after market sway bar.
Good luck on your PCS. If you are half as diligent at work as at home, I can see your career going great. ( I'm a retired RF-4 WSO)
Sam
Sam--

I do have a rear sway bar... It was a direct bolt to the frame and trailing arm... Here are a couple of shots...

Let me know if you need a different angle...

Rogman
Old 05-22-2012, 12:33 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I don't think your 73 came out with a VIR on it, it came out later like on my 76, it was the drier and txv built into one unit.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

73 was the first year for the VIR system. About 15 years ago I replaced my system with factory replacements. At the time the price of R12 was just starting to go up thanks to our government. They only issue I ever had with the system had to do with the VIR valve. It cost more to replace the R12 and VIR valve then anything else.
Last year the compressor went out on me and I was told I would need to change the condenser because it would be full of crap from the compressor. I read about the change over to a new system here on CF. I went with a Nostalgic Air system. I changed out everything except the evaporator. I replaced the VIR with a VIR Eliminator from Zip Corvette parts. I had thought about replacing the evap with a newer one instead. I was told the one for 79 would fit.
Anyway, long story short, the new system works well and did not cost as much as replacing the compressor, condenser, and R12 would have.
My install page
Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 AM
sjmcdowell
Advanced

Rogman,
If you have a picture of where the rubber bushing bolts onto the frame, it would help me a bunch. The generic instructions say "use exiting holes", I ain't got no "exiting holes". So the question becomes where to drill.
How do I determine the attach point? With the car off the ground and it gutted, it is hard to jack up the TA on the spring to a normal position. At what angle should the TA be to then set the bushing attach point?

Thanks redwingvette I am reading your AC install.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by sjmcdowell
Rogman,
If you have a picture of where the rubber bushing bolts onto the frame, it would help me a bunch. The generic instructions say "use exiting holes", I ain't got no "exiting holes". So the question becomes where to drill.
How do I determine the attach point? With the car off the ground and it gutted, it is hard to jack up the TA on the spring to a normal position. At what angle should the TA be to then set the bushing attach point?

Thanks redwingvette I am reading your AC install.
Will do... Give me a couple of hours this morning and I'll take some pictures and measurements... With a '73, you should have the factory mount points unless someone filled them in... Don't know why anyone would do that???

I had to wait for the weight of the car to lower the frame/TA angles beforre I could attach the bushings on the TAs...

Rogman
Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM
sjmcdowell
Advanced

Thanx, I just looked closer with good light. I DO have holes there. They where plugged with dirt and hard to see.
I appreciate the help,

Sam
Old 05-22-2012, 04:18 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Keep it simple.... Go with Vintage Air... It blows harder, its colder, it frees up a bunch of room in the engine compartment. You also dont get the normal corvette **** pit heat that seaps into the factory evaporator box/system etc... Lastly the compressor doesnt suck up near as much power to run..

After spending atleast $1500 on my factory system trying to keep it working right, I finally went to VA when I did my engine swap and my only regret is not doing it sooner and not blowing all that money on the stock system...
Old 05-23-2012, 07:38 AM
sjmcdowell
Advanced

Thanx, I guess that I was hoping some one would say that. It looked like the new stuff would work better.
So I took out all the old box, it does the worse for wear.

Thanx again
Sam
Old 05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Can the old stuff. The VA system is smaller and more compact and does a better job than the old stuff. Modern technology is great. Go with VA
Old 05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Sam--

Here are some pictures of my rear sway mounts... Looks like the front threaded insert is about 1" to 1.5" behind the frame cross-member... Second threaded insert is 2" behind that... My frame already had these, but I did need to clean the threads up a little after collecting dust, dirt and grime for 39+ years...

Rogman
Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM
sjmcdowell
Advanced

Thanx Rogman and Gordonm,
I plan on getting the VA system soon as I scrape up the money.

Sam

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air???

Quick Reply: Vintage Air???