C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jegs Mini Starter '74 Stingray - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 PM
babalu95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jegs Mini Starter '74 Stingray - HELP

I still can't figure out this wiring thing on my new Jegs Mini Starter. I'm not getting any crank out of it. Even if I put direct current to switch on solenoid, it simply sparks but will not spin or click.

I have the Purple wire connected to the switch (small screw on solenoid). When not connected, I checked for current with a tester. Key forward lights up. So, we know it's getting flow.

I have the thick Battery cable connected to battery side of solenoid.

Here's the wires I have left:

Thin Yellow wire from + coil. (points ignition). When key forward, tester lights up. It is not attached to anything yet.

Thick Red from firewall. (I believe it goes to battery post on solenoid.)

Thin Black wire from firewall. Don't know where it goes.

Does anyone have similar wiring on your C3?

The starter was tested at Autozone and passed. It spun.

The battery is new.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at a few diagrams and none have the same colored wires as mine.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:32 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Black goes to ground, bell housing bolt works good.
Red goes on the same large stud as the +batt cable.
Yellow from the coil, insulate it and don't use it with that starter.
Purple to small terminal usually marked with an s.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 PM
AF_Vette
Racer

Hope this helps.

Run is ON , the position that the engine runs in as your driving down the road Start is start or crank when the key is forced all the way against spring pressure

In the Start position the purple and the S terminal should have power.

In the On position the purple and S should not have power BUT the yellow and the R terminal should have power.

If the yellow is accidentally put on the S terminal with the purple the engine will start but the starter will remain cranking in the ON position also disconnect the purple from the S term on the solenoid,put a test light on the purple wire,turn your key to start,confirm test light lights,then release key to ON position,if light stays lit the ignition switch is bad or misadjusted,if the light goes out its something wrong with the starter.

Turning the key switch to "START" sends battery voltage to the S terminal on the starter. The S terminal wire is purple and is connected to the solenoid terminal closest to the block.

When the purple wire is energized the solenoid coils pull in and that sends power to the starter and the yellow R terminal wire.

Once you turn the key to run or any other position there should not be any power in the S terminal.

Cheers
Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 PM
babalu95
Instructor

Default Hmm.

I tried that combination initially. Nothing.

Question: Do I need a thick ground wire as stated in Mini Starter instructions? Instructions state ground should be attached to block and be as thick as the battery cable. However, isn't the starter already grounded by being bolted directly to the block?

Also, why would there be a black wire from firewall that would be grounded? Initially, I attached this black wire to one of the starter bolts attaching it to block. It just doesn't seem right. Why couldn't I just ground that black wire anywhere else on the car? I tested it for current, with key forward. It produced nothing.

I'm going crazy.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:54 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

The black is ground for w/s wiper and blower motor.
The starter will ground to the block.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 AM
AF_Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by babalu95

Question: Do I need a thick ground wire as stated in Mini Starter instructions? yes - because of the mass amp flow.

Instructions state ground should be attached to block and be as thick as the battery cable. However, isn't the starter already grounded by being bolted directly to the block? The starter is bonded to the engine. the engine has to be electrically connected to the frame to complete the circuit. there should be a wire that goes from the engine to the frame. the frame is used as a conductor between the two points of the two wires.

Also, why would there be a black wire from firewall that would be grounded? Initially, I attached this black wire to one of the starter bolts attaching it to block. It just doesn't seem right. Why couldn't I just ground that black wire anywhere else on the car? I tested it for current, with key forward. It produced nothing. This sound like your fan/blower you are talking about. the firewall is fiberglass and a non conductor and cannot be used as a ground, so you have to fing a ground someplace.

I'm going crazy.

hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu95

Question: Do I need a thick ground wire as stated in Mini Starter instructions? Instructions state ground should be attached to block and be as thick as the battery cable. However, isn't the starter already grounded by being bolted directly to the block?

Also, why would there be a black wire from firewall that would be grounded? Initially, I attached this black wire to one of the starter bolts attaching it to block. It just doesn't seem right. Why couldn't I just ground that black wire anywhere else on the car? I tested it for current, with key forward. It produced nothing.

I'm going crazy.
dude, seriously, they took the time to write instructions, follow them

Get notified of new replies

To Jegs Mini Starter '74 Stingray - HELP

Quick Reply: Jegs Mini Starter '74 Stingray - HELP