C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit 162108 heads and header fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Summit 162108 heads and header fit

Hi, guys, I'm lookin' at the Summit Racing 162108 heads, and they have angled plugs. Is anybody out there using these heads, and, if so, what are you running for headers? Extra short spark plugs?

I have block-hugger headers that came with my Corvrtte Central exhaust system, I think they are made by Patriot. I am afraid that these angle plug heads will cause a problem. Summit says you need to run headers that will clear the angled plugs, but don't offer any. So, I figured I'd ask here, and see if anybody has any experience with them, or even just with angle plug heads in general.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 06-09-2012, 03:51 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Scotty, apologies for going off-track - but I wanted to offer caution on the Summit heads. Things may have changed, but the single set an owner forced on me were JUNK - I've posted about it a few times, with pictures to back it up. Just be sure you take a very close look at them during assembly.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:40 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

I've heard you badmouthing the Summit heads before, and It's been in the back of my head while looking at these heads. I'm not really looking seriously, just kinda lookin' around, if ya know what I mean. I have the plan that we talked to death on this forum, (Dart SHP heads, Comp cams XE256H cam, maybe XE262H, still on the fence about that.) and that is still the plan, but since it's going to be down the road aways, and I haven't started purchasing parts yet, I figured it couldn't hurt to keep looking around at options.

I would be willing to bet that every cylinder head manufacturer makes a bad head at least once in awhile, the issue here is quality control. The companies with a good reputation catch those bad heads before they are sold to the public. But good quality control costs money, which means a more expensive final product. Works that way with just about any kind of manufacturing.

Haven't been hearing a whole lot about the Dart SHP heads lately, good or bad, which is good, in a way. People are a lot more likely to post on the internet to complain about something than they are to praise it.

I appreciate you trying to look out for me, Billla!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Again, I'm just suggesting pulling a couple of valves and taking a close look at the positioning of the pushrod holes.

This is what I found under the valves; that ledge is horrifying. Then $200 in custom machining and adjustable guideplates because the pushrod holes were wrong

Old 06-09-2012, 10:06 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by billla
Again, I'm just suggesting pulling a couple of valves and taking a close look at the positioning of the pushrod holes.

This is what I found under the valves; that ledge is horrifying. Then $200 in custom machining and adjustable guideplates because the pushrod holes were wrong

Eeeewww!!!! The area right before the exhaust seat looks like some kind of reverse funnel specifically designed to impede flow! A machining step or two must have been skipped. Quality control, man!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the Dart heads, was just kind of looking around to see if there were any inexpensive heads out there with smaller intake ports. I think the 180ccs will be OK with a XE256H or XE262H cam, though.

Hey, Billla, I was flipping through the April issue of chevy High Performance today, and read an article that made me think of you, and how you place a lot of emphasis on establishing a budget.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...wer/index.html

Pay particular attention to the second paragraph. I figured you might be able to show this to people when trying to convince them. See ya,

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 10-28-2017, 02:22 PM
Michael Shawn Horton
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit heads ARE dart casting.

All cast iron summit heads are bought from dart but are not given the same attention to detail . This keeps cost lower. Stamping on face of head shows a dart casting.

Get notified of new replies

To Summit 162108 heads and header fit

Quick Reply: Summit 162108 heads and header fit