C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with VBP spring

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:56 PM
flyingman21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issue with VBP spring

So I finally installed a new HD rear cover today and installed a new VBP composite spring. The problem that I ran into was that the long spring end bolts will not line up with the spring. I tried moving the traling arm up and down but nothing helped. Are there know issues with the DH cover and spring alignment. It appears to be a for/aft problem. Thanks

Old 06-17-2012, 08:02 AM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

That's how mine looks. When you lower the car they will straighten out a little, but they do sit at an angle.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:41 AM
lonzoo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

On my 78 it was the same way. I could NOT get the right bolt in after putting in the left one. Finally had to loosen the 4 bolts on the mounting bracket until I could get the spring bolts in and nuts started. After re-torqing bracket bolts and letting car back down it worked out just fine,
Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

not sure if it will help, but on my C4 I swapped ends on the spring.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM
flyingman21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I'll hook it up and see if it locks into place when the car sits back down.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 PM
MikeKey
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is the same way.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:50 PM
MikeKey
Racer

So I got my car back from the shop today and they mentioned that all the slop in the rear lateral link could be an issue. I noticed it to when I installed it, but to be honest I didn't think anything of it. I just assumed, that's how it is. Now I see this thread and other mentioning it.

Why is there so much slop? The OEM spring wasn't like that.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

A couple of things I don't quite understand here....

First, "MikeKey", what is this "lateral link" that your alignment shop is referring to?? Lateral means side-to-side. Are they referring to the struts that maintain the camber?

Secondly, to all the posters, are you gents aware that when installing the rear spring bolts, that you place a short piece of wood on the pad of a floor jack, then lift the end of the spring up, so the bolts and cushions can be put in place??
Old 06-18-2012, 08:37 PM
lonzoo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeep !
Old 06-19-2012, 11:46 AM
MikeKey
Racer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
A couple of things I don't quite understand here....

First, "MikeKey", what is this "lateral link" that your alignment shop is referring to?? Lateral means side-to-side. Are they referring to the struts that maintain the camber?

Secondly, to all the posters, are you gents aware that when installing the rear spring bolts, that you place a short piece of wood on the pad of a floor jack, then lift the end of the spring up, so the bolts and cushions can be put in place??
He may of been mistaken when he wrote it down. But he was clearly explaining the slop in the bolt where it connects to the spring.

See the above posters photo:

There is a lot of room for the bolt to move around in the hole that VBP cut.

I personally am enjoying my spring, but I got nervous because all of a sudden there are a few threads that have cropped up about people complaining about VBP.

I might go with Vansteel for anything else.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Hogvet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last summer I bought a complete suspension and steering rebuild kit from VBP for my 79 and now every bolt, nut and washer that came with the kit is rusting. I am not impressed with the quality.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeKey
He may of been mistaken when he wrote it down. But he was clearly explaining the slop in the bolt where it connects to the spring.

See the above posters photo:

There is a lot of room for the bolt to move around in the hole that VBP cut.

I personally am enjoying my spring, but I got nervous because all of a sudden there are a few threads that have cropped up about people complaining about VBP.

I might go with Vansteel for anything else.
There has to be room for the bolt to move arond a bit, as the suspension rises and falls, when the car is driven. The trailing arm and the end of the spring travel in similar, but not exactly the same arcs.

With respect to VanSteel, as well as several other suppliers, from what I've seen, they sell VB&P parts, packaged as their own. Think about it, how many people are restoring/repairing C-3 Corvettes? On this forum, it may appear to be a lot, but in the sense of the business world, it's a very limited market. Therefore, I highly doubt that there are more than 1 or 2 shops doing the rebuilds and/or manufacturing parts.

For what it's worth, I installed a VB&P spring in a C-3 many years ago, the car belonging to my wife. She drove the car for several years after that, before selling it, and we both were very satisfied with how the spring functioned.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogvet
Last summer I bought a complete suspension and steering rebuild kit from VBP for my 79 and now every bolt, nut and washer that came with the kit is rusting. I am not impressed with the quality.
If these fasteners were grade 8, they would not only be very strong (actually more strong then necessary), but also corrosion resistance. The hard surfaces of Grade 8 fasteners makes them resistant to corrosion.

Whenever, I buy kits that have bolts, I just replace all the bolts,washers, nuts with Grade 8. Easy for me since I have a nearby fastener hardware store that sells fasteners to local manufacturing businesses.

There are a few suspension bolts that should remain Grade 5 I believe. Even at that Grade 5 should be a little corrosion resistant also. Grade 5 bolts are not all that hard, but can flex a little more than Grade 8. I think the trailing arm to frame bolts are supposed to be Grade 5, for example.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
If these fasteners were grade 8, they would not only be very strong (actually more strong then necessary), but also corrosion resistance. The hard surfaces of Grade 8 fasteners makes them resistant to corrosion.

Whenever, I buy kits that have bolts, I just replace all the bolts,washers, nuts with Grade 8. Easy for me since I have a nearby fastener hardware store that sells fasteners to local manufacturing businesses.

There are a few suspension bolts that should remain Grade 5 I believe. Even at that Grade 5 should be a little corrosion resistant also. Grade 5 bolts are not all that hard, but can flex a little more than Grade 8. I think the trailing arm to frame bolts are supposed to be Grade 5, for example.
The fastener grade determines it's material composition and strength. The fastener's corrosion resistance at ambient temeperatures is more a function of the surface coating applied by the manufacturer than by it's grade. Grade 8 fasteners are a bit stronger, however, the main difference between Grades 5 & 8 is that Grade 8's material composition makes it more suitable for high temperature service. BTW, Grade 5 fasteners alre also hardened.

Get notified of new replies

To Issue with VBP spring

Quick Reply: Issue with VBP spring