C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dragvette 6link vs Autofab 4-link

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:16 PM
hinez
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dragvette 6link vs Autofab 4-link

well as some of you guys might know im looking to upgrade my suspension my 82. got it dynoed the other day at lopers and its a 505hp to the wheels. however im having a hard time considering what suspension is right for me. i did some searches but i still have some questions to ask you guys. this is a street strip car. i want it to own the streets and do well on the strip. and i also want to throw a straight axle on it. so what way is the best way to go?

thanks everyone!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:08 PM
bluzman2004
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a straight axle in the car, I believe the 4 link it the only way to do it. The drag link setup is for the original IRS differential I believe.
I think you would have to decide if you want to stay with an IRS or not. You can easily order all of the beefed up components to make the IRS live with that power and everything will just bolt in. The Autofab kit does require some fabrication and welding do.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:06 PM
brngrhd
Racer

if you want the IRS gone then yes the autofab is the only kit i know of... my car is a street strip car and is a monster on the street.... have not taken it to the track yet but think it will do even better there.... the best thing is not worring about spitting out an axle or anything..... the auto fab setup is a very nice unit
Old 10-28-2009, 06:37 PM
dp9
Racer

I got scared into the autofab setup when someone posted a pic of twisted splines from a stub axle and said they were only pushin 400 hp (mightve been bluzman who posted it, cant remember). that, and to beef up the IRS is a lot lore expensive. the dragvette 6 link will correct your geometry, but if you hook up you'll be cleaning your diff off the track.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM
76 sting
Pro

Here are some strong 3.5 Aluminum halfshafts that I will putting in over the winter..Dontov motor here in Texas also makes some great stuff!!

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p3_1...re+Information

Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 PM
bluzman2004
Pro

Yep, that was my old motor just a 350 with good heads and cam and a 4.56 rear gear. I twisted one one time and the other another time. I will say again, if you're not going to go drag racing with tires that will hook up good, you can just add a few heavier duty parts and a heavy spring and get by probably. I drag race almost every weekend and am very competitive. I have 600hp at the motor now and will be adding 200 more with nitrous this winter, so I need the insurance and adjustability of the 4 link and straight axle. Plus gears are waaaay cheaper.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:27 PM
dp9
Racer

^^^SCARY SH*T!!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

My crygenically treated spindle snapped in half with street tires on my 2nd run...This is why I went with the 4-link. With the 6-link setup don't you have to readjust your camber each time to get it to go from straight line to bendy track? I had a Dragvette 6-link in the box, but sold it, so I never used it.

An old guy at the track told me that one time he saw a half shaft let lose and sever a guys lower spine...

http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.ph...&id=1310677231

Last edited by CorvetteDave01; 10-28-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:08 AM
Tumarr
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes a bone stock IRS will fail under high horse power applications, but with upgraded 31 spline inner and 32 spline outer axles, 12 bolt conversion, dragvette 6 link and beefy halfshafts, the suspension will work quite well. I did my own labor in setting up my suspension and doing my own home built 12 bolt set up, so that saved me a ton of money. My suspension has been able to cut low 1.3 sixty foots and hold up to enough power to do several mid 8 second passes in a 3200 lbs car. The best thing I love about the IRS is how stable it is on the top end of the pass. The car is so easy to make corrections at high speeds.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats one cool picture.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 AM
SharkZilla
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Tumarr
yes a bone stock IRS will fail under high horse power applications, but with upgraded 31 spline inner and 32 spline outer axles, 12 bolt conversion, dragvette 6 link and beefy halfshafts, the suspension will work quite well. I did my own labor in setting up my suspension and doing my own home built 12 bolt set up, so that saved me a ton of money. My suspension has been able to cut low 1.3 sixty foots and hold up to enough power to do several mid 8 second passes in a 3200 lbs car. The best thing I love about the IRS is how stable it is on the top end of the pass. The car is so easy to make corrections at high speeds.
I have a bunch of questions for Tumarr because I am thinking about doing a similar setup.

1. Do you drive your car on the street as well?
2. If so, did you notice any handling improvements after the upgrades?
3. Is that a Tom's 12 bolt you put together?
4. How much HP are you putting to your IRS?
5. How are you bushed back there? Rubber, poly, combo of both?
6. Got any installation pictures? I would love to see them.

Last edited by SharkZilla; 10-29-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 10-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Tumarr
Pro

Answers

1. Yes I do street drive it, it is a 93 octane motor when I am not spraying the crap out of it, but I dont daily drive it, only on short fun cruises.
2. Well I have a spool in my rear differential, so that really hurts the turn radius of the car, but when its going down the track, it is really stable and responds well to adjustments when going down the track. A limited slip differential or a locker will offer better street handling and make slow tight turns much less of a bear to do. The six link kit itself, I would say improves the rear suspension handling significantly, and gives you very good adjustability options and will hold a camber setting well.
3. I basically bought the ring and pinion from tom's differentials ($420) and bought a 31 spline strange spool for a 12 bolt ($150) and hogged out the the inside of the stock housing until it fit the ring and spool, then set it up, like a regular 12 bolt. I used vansteel 31 spline inner axles and 32 spline outer axles. I didnt need to use c clips or anything to retain the inner axles because the halfshafts and trailing arms do a fine job at that.
4. My motor has about 750-800 hp because it goes 10.00-9.90's on motor in a 3200 lbs car. I then spray it with two stages of nitrous to push it into the mid 8's. about a additional 500 hp or so.
5. I eliminated all the rubber bushings and have everything solidly bolted to the frame. big thick bolt with a large thick washer up forward of the diff, and big aluminum disks on the wings of the diffrential with grade 8 bolts.
6. I got a casualty picture of a twisted 3" halfshaft, but it shows exactly how well the 6 link kit was designed to promote saftey. The shaft twisted and pulled out of the differential and the saftey loops that are part of the design of the 6 link held the spinning broken halfshaft in place and no further damage occured. I was able to safely slow down and get to the side of the track with out much issue. I upgraded to bigger stronger 3 1/2" steel shafts and it has not ever failed since.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM
guitarcrazy02
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[/QUOTE]

^^ GOOD LORD!!! I've never seen that before and hope to never see it again!!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:02 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I also run the 12-bolt Tom's setup with 30/31 spline axles and the thick wall half shafts.. I've launched with the transbrake off a 150 shot (with approx. 700 engine HP) and no rear end breakage so far.. I think that below 1000 HP, there is no need to go with a solid axle as Tom's setup will easily hold up to that power level if the strongest setup is used.. I went with the 1480 series half shaft u-joints too which are virtually indestructable.. Rear suspension has not been any concern since switching to Tom's setup.. I run a regular 4-link IRS setup.. I don't use the extra upper control arms.. They really have no function other than safety and if you run 1480 series u-joints and thick wall chromoly half shafts, you really don't need them.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:32 PM
brngrhd
Racer

Like i said i love my set up and to be honest part of the reason i did not go with the toms unit is i needed EVERYTHING..... at that point it was cheaper to buy the kit i did. and for what i do (straight line stuff) it is a better setup as you can change instant center and get a better handle on the suspension IMHO
Old 10-29-2009, 06:56 PM
L79racer
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tumarr
Answers

1. Yes I do street drive it, it is a 93 octane motor when I am not spraying the crap out of it, but I dont daily drive it, only on short fun cruises.
2. Well I have a spool in my rear differential, so that really hurts the turn radius of the car, but when its going down the track, it is really stable and responds well to adjustments when going down the track. A limited slip differential or a locker will offer better street handling and make slow tight turns much less of a bear to do. The six link kit itself, I would say improves the rear suspension handling significantly, and gives you very good adjustability options and will hold a camber setting well.
3. I basically bought the ring and pinion from tom's differentials ($420) and bought a 31 spline strange spool for a 12 bolt ($150) and hogged out the the inside of the stock housing until it fit the ring and spool, then set it up, like a regular 12 bolt. I used vansteel 31 spline inner axles and 32 spline outer axles. I didnt need to use c clips or anything to retain the inner axles because the halfshafts and trailing arms do a fine job at that.
4. My motor has about 750-800 hp because it goes 10.00-9.90's on motor in a 3200 lbs car. I then spray it with two stages of nitrous to push it into the mid 8's. about a additional 500 hp or so.
5. I eliminated all the rubber bushings and have everything solidly bolted to the frame. big thick bolt with a large thick washer up forward of the diff, and big aluminum disks on the wings of the diffrential with grade 8 bolts.
6. I got a casualty picture of a twisted 3" halfshaft, but it shows exactly how well the 6 link kit was designed to promote saftey. The shaft twisted and pulled out of the differential and the saftey loops that are part of the design of the 6 link held the spinning broken halfshaft in place and no further damage occured. I was able to safely slow down and get to the side of the track with out much issue. I upgraded to bigger stronger 3 1/2" steel shafts and it has not ever failed since.
That still over $3500 with offset trailing arms. I didnt include the 6 link kit. With it its $4500.

Last edited by L79racer; 10-29-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 PM
dp9
Racer

good points all around. you can cut great 60's with an IRS, but the autofab 4-link can be cheaper.

Last edited by dp9; 10-29-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To dragvette 6link vs Autofab 4-link

Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 PM
SharkZilla
5th Gear

Thanks for the 411 Tumarr. I plan on doing more of a street/strip build of about 525 - 550hp and don't want to give up on the IRS for handling reasons. My biggest concern was how this stuff holds together over 500hp and the safety of keeping this contained. With the info you provided, I am confident that I can bullet proof the IRS in my car.

I have to say, I have heard of breaking U joints and twisting 17 spline axles but have never seen a half shaft pretzelized like that. The next weakest link I guess was the 3 inch half shaft. I heard the 3.5 inch shafts fit kind of tight in there (loops) but good to know everything has enough clearance.

If it wasn't for the upper control shaft and safety loops that could have been a lot more messy. Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:13 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

These days it's hard to argue with the 9" setups. The parts are easy to get. When I did mine, I wanted to stay with an IRS.

I ended up copying some folks from way back in the 70's and built a Dana 60 IRS out of a Hemi center section. I used 3.5"x.134 wall shafts with 1480 joints along with Tom's outer stubs.

Haven't touched it since installing it!

It's just one of those things where you bite the bullet if you don't want to be messing with it all of the time.

JIM
Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 AM
holley505
Drifting

Hey... I run a dragvette setup... 4 link. But I am on Drag radials with Th350 no brake and about 500hp now. Never had issues with my old LSX and my rearend.

We will see how she does with the 418ci and 3500 stall on the drag radials in a few weeks.

Personally... I would like to stick with the IRS and go 12 bolt with big axles when ready. just to keep the street/stock vette look and handling.

Quick Reply: dragvette 6link vs Autofab 4-link