C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield frame reassembly questions

Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Windshield frame reassembly questions

Hello.

I recently restored my birdcage and am now starting the reassembly. I have two main things holding me up.

First, I have these two clips that are used to support/locate the windshield when it is installed. I remember they mount somewhere in the cowl area in front of the WS, but because I sealed the whole cowl, I must've sealed the holes for the clips. Where should I find them? My car is a 1974 Coupe.

Second, I am installing my new header corner mouldings. I have run into a bit of confusion, even with the AIM in hand. I dont know which screws I need to install to mount the mouldings, and which thingsneed to go in when I put them in. I have the two u clips installed underneath, and the clip installed onto the moulding itself. There are two short black screws that go straight into the moudling front the front to the back. Then there are three holes on the front, 2 normal holes and one elongated hole. I have two long chrome screws, but I dont know which screws (like for which piece from the interior) are needed for those holes. There is also a hole on the edge, and I have no Idea what this hole is for.

Let me know if you guys have any info.

Thanks,
Will
Old 07-07-2012, 05:26 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Alan71 posted a few photos of the clips a while ago. Maybe do a search?
He probably has photos showing how the corner moldings are mounted as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
Alan71 posted a few photos of the clips a while ago. Maybe do a search?
He probably has photos showing how the corner moldings are mounted as well.
Haha yeah I've seen those. It seems that one of the holes if for the sun visor screws-Heres the thing I have two screws that I kept with the mouldings, both chrome. Where do the chrome screws go, one for the visor and one for....? and then there is a third hole, what screw (like from what interior part) goes in the third hole?

Will
Old 07-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I believe the chrome plated corner trim casting mounts using 5 screws.
2 from the front (not plated).
1 from the outer end (chrome plated)
2 from the interior, (chrome plated).
The 2 from the front MUST go in BEFORE the windshield is set.
There is an additional hole that the sun visor bracket screw passes through.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-08-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Will,

Here's some photos of the clips that should go at the bottom of the windshield. These photos are from my 71. I'm not sure if your 74 would be any different? For your other questions, I would follow Allan's advise...

Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
I believe the chrome plated corner trim casting mounts using 5 screws.
2 from the front (not plated).
1 from the outer end (chrome plated)
2 from the interior, of which the inner of the 2 also mounts the outer sun-visor bracket (chrome plated).
The 2 from the front MUST go in BEFORE the windshield is set.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Alan,

Thanks for the info! I'll see what I can do. I have the two outer black screws, and I have two chrome screws (I kept these with the corner mouldings). I'll have to find the other screws, and put them in today.

Thanks,
Will
Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Originally Posted by spdrcr29
Hi Will,

Here's some photos of the clips that should go at the bottom of the windshield. These photos are from my 71. I'm not sure if your 74 would be any different? For your other questions, I would follow Allan's advise...

Thanks for the pictures- My 74 does seem different than your 71. IIRC the pieces in question mounted more on the vertical portion of the 'cage, and more in the cowl area, no so much on the flat of the birdcage. In fact I dont think they even truly mounted to the birdcage, the mounted on like the front of it. Also, You seem to have screws, I have just plain hex bolts. I'll poke around more once I get the corner mouldings in place.

Thanks,
Will
Old 07-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Ok so I ran into a problem. The screws that go into the front (the unchromed screws), are not the right screws for the reproduction corner mouldings. They dont fit the pretapped threads.

I found this (and probably should have ordered it when I was getting the corner moudlings)

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...GR-SR&CTitle=&

Are these all of the screws needed to mount the corner moudlings? It seems to be the right number of screws (6 per side).

Let me know

Will

Edit- I ordered them, hopefully they work.

Last edited by Will's'74VetteL-82; 07-08-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Does anyone have picture of the corner pieces installed, along with the other surrounding interior pieces? I foolishly didnt take pictures of this step, I guess I thought it would be easier...

Will
Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Will,
Are you looking at your AIM?
Regards,
Alan

Old 07-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Will,
Are you looking at your AIM?
Regards,
Alan

Hahaha yes I have it right in front of me, im not gonna lie, it doesnt help me for this. It tells me that there are screws and where they go, but not like the specifics. Thanks for the pictures.

Will
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Alrighty,

I got the screws I need and they look good. I just want to confirm a few things with them.

4 included total (ive already used 2)- The screws on the left im good with- They are for the threads in the corner blocks at the front

2 included total- The clips go into the molding itself- Im good with those but...

4 included total- The next screws seem to be a non chrome screw- Where exactly do these go?

4 included total- These are nice chrome screws, with a sunk head type design. Where are these for? Are these for the end screw, and the one that you can see when the interior is installed?

Also are any screws included in this kit for the clips, or are those screws just from the header trim pieces?

Will
Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Anyone?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Alright this is ridiculous- I'm attempting to install the new aftermarket corner moldings and they dont fit for crap! It seems that im gonna have to drill 2 holes in the bircage to make new screw holes because they dont line up. The originals line up fine.

Back to the screws, where do the 4 chrome and 4 non chrome screws go?

Thanks,
Will
Old 07-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

The corner molding is installed!

I had to drill 1 hole and Im not even putting the end screws in yet. Other than that, they are bolted down and ready to go. Now, those WS clips...

Will
Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Will,
I didn't reply beause I'm just not sure about the screws in your picture.
I will say that the 4 non-chrome plated screws don't look at all like the screws that mount the trim clips. I'd expect them to be flat head, counter sunk, and only about 1/4 to 3/8" long.
SORRY!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-15-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Scott Marshall
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Will's'74VetteL-82
Alrighty,

I got the screws I need and they look good. I just want to confirm a few things with them.

4 included total (ive already used 2)- The screws on the left im good with- They are for the threads in the corner blocks at the front

2 included total- The clips go into the molding itself- Im good with those but...

4 included total- The next screws seem to be a non chrome screw- Where exactly do these go?

4 included total- These are nice chrome screws, with a sunk head type design. Where are these for? Are these for the end screw, and the one that you can see when the interior is installed?

Also are any screws included in this kit for the clips, or are those screws just from the header trim pieces?

Will
Will,
I found this thread searching for the same issues that you were having. My question is about the machine thread screws. Where are they supposed to be used? It has been a few years since I have taken this all apart and I don't even have the machine screws anymore.
Thanks
Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield frame reassembly questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield frame reassembly questions