C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Radiator removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 04:11 PM
chigung
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Radiator removal

Anyone have any pointers that may save me a headache?
Is there a trick to getting this sucker out?
Do I need to remove the hood?

78/auto

Thanks Guys,
Dave
Old 05-27-2002, 04:25 PM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: C3 Radiator removal (chigung)

For my 69 BB, I removed the hood and pulled the entire radiator support out with the radiator. This was the easiest way. I spent many hours trying to the radiator out without removing the hood.

Old 05-27-2002, 05:11 PM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: C3 Radiator removal (Cool427shark)

:lol: I've had mine out a few times. Hood can stay on, remove both hoses and tranny lines, loosen up A/C compressor and alternator(disconnect ground from battery 1st) so they can be swung out of way for shroud removal. Remove fan and fan clutch then "rotate" shroud out, it's tight around a-arm's.
If you've got a helper you can lift radiator out w/shroud at one time, theres just 4 bolts holding upper brackets to rad support(make sure you put longer bolts back in correct place). I think that covers it all I'm sure I'm forgetting something though, Good Luck.

Scott
Old 05-27-2002, 07:23 PM
andyg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my BB I had to pull the hood and removed the support and radiator as on unit. For a SB with a smaller radiator maybe you can do it with the hood on.

--Andy
Old 05-27-2002, 09:37 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C3 Radiator removal (Scott78)

:lol: I've had mine out a few times. Hood can stay on, remove both hoses and tranny lines, loosen up A/C compressor and alternator(disconnect ground from battery 1st) so they can be swung out of way for shroud removal. Remove fan and fan clutch then "rotate" shroud out, it's tight around a-arm's.
If you've got a helper you can lift radiator out w/shroud at one time, theres just 4 bolts holding upper brackets to rad support(make sure you put longer bolts back in correct place). I think that covers it all I'm sure I'm forgetting something though, Good Luck.Scott
I too left the hood on. Worked for me!! If you have AC, you can unbolt the condensor from the rad, and hang it from the hood hinges with wire. This way you don't have to loosen the hoses and release the freon as the rad comes out. Good Luck
Eddie

Old 05-27-2002, 09:56 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Some have cut the fan shroud at the bottom this way you can remove the shroud 1st, then the Rad without removing the Rad support or the Hood.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:19 PM
noskillz
Racer

Default Re: C3 Radiator removal (Cool427shark)

On the 427 it is also a good idea to attach the lower rad hose before installing the radiator as well. It's real hard to slip the hose on once it's in the car.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:02 AM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: C3 Radiator removal (noskillz)

i didn't have to loosen the ac or alt... just take the fan off and you'll have plenty of room to rotate the rad in and out. i put a 4 core in which was a good inch plus thicker than what i took out and still had room to rotate it in with the shroud. i had someone to help me though, would have been a real pain by myself.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:52 AM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I know one guy who swore it was an 8 hour job. He must have been paid hourly and not flat rate.

It's really not that bad. But I removed my hood. The whole job took less than an hour.

But I don't have A/C and I've removed my alternator and fan so many times, that I can do it my sleep.
Old 05-28-2002, 04:02 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The radiator is not a structurally sound part...don't twist it...you don't have to be delicate, but don't put much force on it...it should slide right out. I removed my hood, but my garage had rafters and I used two ropes. I looped both of them around the rafters...one of them I tied the loose ends and positioned it near the front of the hood. The other one I tied the ends to the rear of the hood at the hood latches and released the hood hinge so the hood was held up by the rope. Then, I removed the bolts on the front hinges and lifted the hood and slid the closed loop rope around the front of the hood so that it could hang there. That way I could just lower the front of the hood and reinstall the bolts and not have a difficult time trying to align the hood, cause the ropes are still in place to line the up properly.

If you have an automatic tranny, then drain the fluid...it's a good opportunity to change the fluid...this way when you remove the lines from the radiator you won't have to worry much about a gallon of fluid on your garage floor in the morning. Let's see...how about drinking beer AFTER getting it out?
Old 05-14-2018, 05:26 PM
Wooftwo
1st Gear

Default Radiator Reoval from a BB is tough

Originally Posted by RS69
For my 69 BB, I removed the hood and pulled the entire radiator support out with the radiator. This was the easiest way. I spent many hours trying to the radiator out without removing the hood.
I have removed the radiator several years ago and forgot how I did it. I have not removed the hood but per corvette manual disconnected the shroud. But even with the fan removed and the alternator pulled out of the way, the shroud is jammed against the radiator and I am attempting to raise it from underneath via a jack. I have cut the top part of the shroud but this did not work. I may just remove the A/C and try your method. Apparently the shroud was not intended to be removed without first removing the radiator.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:09 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I have had the rad out of my '79 many times and every time I have had the hood off, although I think it can be done with the hood on. It helps to have two guys, one on each side of the car. I remove the fan, disconnect the hoses, remove the upper rad mounting brackets, and the rad slips out the top. The shroud can be removed once the rad is out.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:30 PM
av81
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would not remove the hood , I had my radiator out last month I removed the fan and water pump studs , then the shroud will come out and you have easy access to the tranny lines and hoses (lower from under) I pulled it out alone no issues. Its really not a big deal.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

holy old thread Batman!

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Radiator removal

Quick Reply: C3 Radiator removal