C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much Initial timing do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:14 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How much Initial timing do you have?

Thinking if i can perhaps improve my advance curve? I am using the MSD pro billet and from memory thats the 8361 but anyway i am using the large black stop bushing which limits 18 degrees of mechanical advance and im running around 16 degrees of initial. Because i have fastburn heads i try to keep it around 34 degrees total.

My question is that i believe more initial would be great especially with the cam and engine combo i have but how do i achieve this when I am already using the largest stop bushing available ?....I would like to experiment with 18 perhaps 20 of initial or should i just be happy with 16 initial even though i dont think its enough ?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I locked out my MSD Probillet at 36 degrees, but my cam is 254@.050 and idle vacuum was about 8 inches. Pretty roudy idle. Starts fine, no surge, never pings.....

I had tried the 18 degree limiter (black bushing) and it was not enough initial timing for mine either.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't know what cam you guys have but I have a 248/254 @ .050" and mine runs fine with the 18 deg. bushing. I have 34 degs advance and obviously 34-18 = 16 deg initial timing.

I have run at 40 deg advance with no noticeable difference that I could feel, meaning I may have gained or lost a few ponies but startup was just the same at say 22 degs or 16 degs initial, no vacuum advance
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

If you actually talk to the people that design ignitions they will tell you that about 18 is tops in a well tuned motor with modern chambers.

Higher exhaust dilution, poor fuel atomization, higher octane than required, poor spark, low % of cylinder filling, spark shielding from non indexed plugs............ are all things that can cause it to appear to run better with more than 18 degrees.

So fix what is wrong with your motor before you chase the additional spark lead.

You can easily prove the best advance for a given combo on a dyno. you set the dyno to load the motor to a HP level like 100 at some rpm above idle before any advance starts to come in. then rotate the dizzy changing the timing up and down and watch what happens to the HP read out. On tuned motors I've seen it drop off rapidy over 18 degrees.

I don't care if you believe me. Make some phone calls and do some dyno time
Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 AM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

You can buy bushings that will give you a shorter mechanical advance curve.
Here is one source. - http://www.4secondsflat.com/MSD%20Di...r%20Tuning.htm

I typically give the engine the initial timing that results in the smoothest idle, highest vacuum, & best throttle response.
Then I shorten the mechanical curve to limit the max advance to where I want it.
In my case, I'm running about 28° of initial advance, with another 10° of mechanical.
I'm running an engine that's quite a bit different than yours though. (498 BBC)
Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I run a th400 with 3000 stall. The problem I had was idling in gear for extended periods. (traffic light). If I kept the trans in gear it would stall eventually. The vacuum advance could not hold any advance because of the 6-8 inches of vacuum (bouncing)

I posted this quite a while ago on a few different sites and the general opinion was that locking out the timing would be the best way to deal with it. The cam I have is an Isky Z-35 flat tappet solid, 254@.050, 108LC, and I am running 1.60 rollers,so lift is .560.

If I had a manual trans,...likely I would not have had any issue.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:24 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much Initial timing do you have?
28 degrees
Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
Thinking if i can perhaps improve my advance curve? I am using the MSD pro billet and from memory thats the 8361 but anyway i am using the large black stop bushing which limits 18 degrees of mechanical advance and im running around 16 degrees of initial. Because i have fastburn heads i try to keep it around 34 degrees total.

My question is that i believe more initial would be great especially with the cam and engine combo i have but how do i achieve this when I am already using the largest stop bushing available ?....I would like to experiment with 18 perhaps 20 of initial or should i just be happy with 16 initial even though i dont think its enough ?
Are you using the vacuum advance? If not, I have read on the internet that the MSD pro billet takes the same vacuum advance can as an old points style distributor. A B28 vac advance can might give you enough vacuum advance at a low enough vacuum to improve your idle.

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...c_Adv_Spec.pdf

Keep the shiny side up!

Scott
Old 07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

I think it really depends on your set up,

I run a Lunati solid roller with mid 250 duration and a little over .700" lift,

I've tried many different set-ups and it runs its best with the timing locked out at 36*

Neal
Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wouldnt believe Gkull til I unless Id seen the results myself.
None of those MSD bushings worked worth a damn and didnt time the way they claimed;had me scratching my head forever tried every combo of bushing/spring they had.
Was convinced I needed to lock mine out also...

Someone who knew better got ahold of it and at the end of the day have a lot less intial ( no vac adv) than seems reasonable.
Curve comes in late and slow. Never would have guessed....absolutely night and day difference in the way it runs, starts easy no pinging still responsive. 11.5:1 on pump 91.

Not sure you need all that locked out business but as said everyones setup is a little different.

Last edited by cv67; 07-12-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 PM
HBZ_81_C3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Locked out at 30 degrees and then use the ignition to retard a few degrees when the hose is on!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Super6
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

15 degrees initial with 36 total on 468/11:1/248-254@0.050/0.600 plus lift. I run vacuum advance and 93 octane on an 8572 MSD distributor.

Last edited by Super6; 07-13-2012 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 AM
gkull
Team Owner

I started working as a pit crew person on sprint cars on the the the early 80's on ignorant alki injected motors with locked out mag ignitions. 60's designed hilborn 8 stack mechanical injection. Once money really got into the sport........ It just took off. Us free thinkers and dyno engine shops left the bubbas behind in the dirt.

Real race cars in the 80's had multi coils like the modern LS engines. Crank triggers and distributerless ignitions appeared in the 90's

When somebody tells me they have some super high advance and or locked out..... I wonder if that is the best they can do?

1/2 a brain is all it would take...... to come up with something better.

I set my Vette advance curve with dial switches. A modern car you can't even put a timing light on it. A program sets it
Old 07-13-2012, 04:07 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Well I don't have the extensive resume that gkull has and I guess using 1/2 a brain has done me good till now.

I seem to remember Alan has his timing locked out at 36* or so and is running in the mid to upper 10's and doing pretty good on the street with AC and all. He has also spent some time on his buddies dyno to get his setup running as it does.

No disrespect to gkull but its hard to make a blanket statement to cover all combo's that are out there, the poster asked who was running what and for the most part that's whats been posted.

In no way ment to insult you gkull and don't appreciate your post at all either.

You no doubt have allot of experience around cars and shops and your input here is usually helpful.

Maybe I'm taking your post the wrong way,

Neal
Old 07-13-2012, 05:46 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
I seem to remember Alan has his timing locked out at 36* or so and is running in the mid to upper 10's and doing pretty good on the street with AC and all. He has also spent some time on his buddies dyno to get his setup running as it does.

:
In a motor that always runs over 3200 rpm (drag cars) The thought of the highest efficiency when driving around at 2000 rpm down the freeway is of no concern.

If you really want to get technical. super high rpm race motors actually retard the timing starting at about 7000 rpm. atomization is so high that flame travel is nearly instant.

If you actually talk to the people that design ignitions they will tell you that about 18 is tops in a well tuned motor with modern chambers.

Higher exhaust dilution, poor fuel atomization, higher octane than required, poor spark, low % of cylinder filling, spark shielding from non indexed plugs............ are all things that can cause it to appear to run better with more than 18 degrees.

So fix what is wrong with your motor before you chase the additional spark lead.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:38 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkull

[/B]

Never said anything was wrong with it. Just looking to see if it could be improved. It runs fine ,idles nice, doesn't hesitate etc
Old 07-13-2012, 10:33 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
Never said anything was wrong with it. Just looking to see if it could be improved. It runs fine ,idles nice, doesn't hesitate etc
He's not saying you said there was anything wrong with the engine. He's telling you there is something wrong with the engine.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
Well I don't have the extensive resume that gkull has and I guess using 1/2 a brain has done me good till now.

No disrespect to gkull but its hard to make a blanket statement to cover all combo's that are out there, the poster asked who was running what and for the most part that's whats been posted.

In no way ment to insult you gkull and don't appreciate your post at all either.

You no doubt have allot of experience around cars and shops and your input here is usually helpful.

Maybe I'm taking your post the wrong way,

Neal
If I had a car that did a 10 second 1/4 mile, and won a lot of races, and before every race, I smeared a little bit of Gulden's brown mustard on the valve covers, would people start smearing brown mustard on there valve covers? I wonder.......

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott

Get notified of new replies

To How much Initial timing do you have?

Quick Reply: How much Initial timing do you have?