C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Shifts Late

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Trans Shifts Late

Hey,

In drive, when I am WOT, the car will rev up to 5500rpm without shifting. How do I ease back the shift point to around 5000 rpm?

Or is this even a shift point problem? Could it be something else?

It will shift when I ease off the throttle, or if I am shifting manually, but i'd like it to automatically shift at around 5000-5500 rpm.

Thanks for input!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:16 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If this happens in all ranges, then you need to change the governor to lower the shift point schedule. If it only happens in a single range, then the shift valve for that range is stuck or something is preventing it from moving. The latter would require a valve body repair.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Domobomb
Racer

What do mean by ranges? Like if it does it shifting 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd, or if it does it only when shifting 1st to 2nd?

I know it does it 1st -> 2nd, not sure about 2nd -> 3rd.

How difficult is a valve body repair?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Unless you are experienced at auto trans valve body work, it's not something you want to DIY. First, determine if it is an 'overall' shift schedule problem (indicating a change in governor weights/springs would lower it to where you want it), or if it is a problem with a specific range (1st, 2nd, 3rd, o/d). If it is with a specific range, you can call around to some auto tranny repair places to find one willing to do only valve body work based on your diagnosis. Or, just take the car to them and let them investigate and resolve it.

[note: I would shy away from the national 'high-volume' chain stores, as they tend to focus on full-transmission swaps and often don't have the skills to do detail work].

Such a shop can also resolve the governor issue, should that be your problem.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Domobomb
Racer

blew out the modulator. Car looked like a crop duster.

It was kind of funny going down the road like that. Looked in the rear view and all I could see was a large cloud of smoke. Luckily it happened pretty much in front of where I was going.

I was hoping I had grenaded the trans so I'd have an excuse to swap in a stick shift 6 speed.

But nope, the threaded hole that the bracket bolts in to that holds the modulator in is busted. Anyone ever experience that?

Get notified of new replies

To Trans Shifts Late

Quick Reply: Trans Shifts Late