C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the manual tach drive make my car sputter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Dano C3
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Can the manual tach drive make my car sputter?

So my tach quit working on my 72, which is annoying, but I'll still drive it until I fix it. Currently the car sputters and back fires when I'm really on the throttle or at higher RPM's. I noticed that when its sputtering the tach will bounce (remember it no longer works). Does it seem feasible that the 2 issues are interelated?

Thoughts?

Thanks
DC
Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano C3
So my tach quit working on my 72, which is annoying, but I'll still drive it until I fix it. Currently the car sputters and back fires when I'm really on the throttle or at higher RPM's. I noticed that when its sputtering the tach will bounce (remember it no longer works). Does it seem feasible that the 2 issues are interelated?

Thoughts?

Thanks
DC
If the dizzy end play is too much, and the cable/gears hang up, then yes, it could make the timing a tad erratic.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:39 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

When the tach drive gear fails, if the distributor hold-down clamp is not tight enough, it can cause the distributor to move a bit until the gear completely strips. I'd check the timing first to see if this is what happened. I know this because it happened to me.

Pete
Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano C3
Not likely. Even with a broken tach cable, sheared off shaft gears, and a trashed crossgear, there is nothing in the tach drive system that will affect the trigger system for the ignition.

Lars

Get notified of new replies

To Can the manual tach drive make my car sputter?

Quick Reply: Can the manual tach drive make my car sputter?