C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancer install tool broke

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:17 PM
texasbaehr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balancer install tool broke

I changed my front seal, and pan gasket to stop the messy leaks. when installing my new balancer with a Pro Form install tool the pilot necked and snapped off in the crank. I wasnt even cranking on it hard and had it screwed in all the way but not bottomed out. The package showed the tool was made in Taiwan. I googled it and it seems I have a lot of company in this predicament.
I removed the balancer which was about 3/16" from being seated. I am going to machine a pilot out of another 7/16 bolt and drill a hole through it. I have a few threads I can catch in the crank hole to center and straighten the bolt then use a left hand carbide bit and drill a hole exactly center in the broken off pilot stud. If the LH drill don't back it out I will gently try an easyout (Argh!) If that don't work I will drill out with a larger bit to the threads and try to clean up with a tap. After that its lift rental time and a crank kit.
What make me really mad is I just installed side pipes and was looking forward to listening to the Sweet Thunder of those new pipes!

When I re-install the balancer I will put it in boiling water first and spray the end of the crank with freeze spray to help minimize the effort for the installation. Live and learn.
Anyone else have this experience? Please share your thoughts, storys and advice.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:59 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

In my experience, easy outs work great when the bolt isn't rusted in. I'm betting you'll get it out.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 AM
hdpete98
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had the same thing happen before. Drill a small pilot hole and then a hole as large as you can without hitting threads. Comes right out with an easy-out.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I bet the left handed drill bit works. Good luck.
Ps another strike against proform.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:33 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm betting from your description of how your going to proceed,you'll get it out.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:41 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Placing the balance in boiling water will cause the metal to expand, thus the hole will be smaller.. Place the balancer in the freezer over night. The metal will shrink, thus the hole will be larger.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

I haven't tried this in WV, but everywhere else, the hole gets bigger with heat.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

A LH bit will spin it right out. There's no pressure on the threads. You might even try just poking at it with a scribe or little screwdriver and see if it'll turn.

I wouldn't bother with heating/cooling anything. It really doesn't take that much torque to seat a balancer. You just got a crap bolt.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thegazman
Placing the balance in boiling water will cause the metal to expand, thus the hole will be smaller.. Place the balancer in the freezer over night. The metal will shrink, thus the hole will be larger.
You better give this one some more thought,not the way its gonna happen...Anyways no need to heat or cool anything when it comes to re-installing a balancer on a SBC.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Look very closely at the crank snout and the ID of the balancer for galled metal. If found, file it smooth before trying a re-install.

Also, check the ID of the balancer and the OD of the crank snout. Some aftermarket balancers are too tight with the interference fit and will be very difficult to install - never had a problem with a GM balancer though.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
I haven't tried this in WV, but everywhere else, the hole gets bigger with heat.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

use quality tools like Mac or Snap-on.......
Old 07-20-2012, 04:23 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by larrywalk
Also, check the ID of the balancer and the OD of the crank snout. Some aftermarket balancers are too tight with the interference fit and will be very difficult to install - never had a problem with a GM balancer though.
I've heard that can happen as well, but I've never personally experienced this issue. Would it make sense then to install them using a torque wrench? As in, if you go over X ft.lbs something is probably farked up? I doubt I've ever gone much more than 100 installing them on a Gen1/2 SBC.

Gen3s on the other hand...
Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 PM
texasbaehr
Racer

I want the metal to expand and it will enlarge the bore not shrink it.

Originally Posted by thegazman
Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 PM
texasbaehr
Racer

I tried a scribe first wouldnt budge. Anything I can do to make the balancer seat further on the crank is a bonus. Cranking on that tool with the fine threads while laying on my belly on the fender is not much fun.

Originally Posted by wcsinx
A LH bit will spin it right out. There's no pressure on the threads. You might even try just poking at it with a scribe or little screwdriver and see if it'll turn.

I wouldn't bother with heating/cooling anything. It really doesn't take that much torque to seat a balancer. You just got a crap bolt.

Get notified of new replies

To Balancer install tool broke

Quick Reply: Balancer install tool broke