C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best BBC spark plug wires.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:17 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Best BBC spark plug wires.

With the help of Lars, I recently diagnosed my engine miss to a broken spark plug wire. Car is a stock '69 L-71 BBC with stock exhaust manifolds. I am not using, and don't want to use the stock metal braided wires (don't use the radio). I ordered a custom Moroso Blue Max set (No. 72550) from Ecklers assuming they would know what fit best. Either the part number was incorrect, or the kit was made on Friday/Monday, because half the wires were too short. Also, you could not tell when the wire was correctly seated on the spark plug. The boot seemed to slide on the wire and you could not get positive engagement (or didn't know if you had).

Anybody have any good recommendations? I am sending these back.

Ralph.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

that is the correct part number for your car, any indication that someone had previously opened the box? You can take a plier and snug the plug end connector for a tighter fit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-72550/
Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I just put on a new set of Taylor 8mm Spiro-Pro with 180 deg. boots
Bought the universal kit and fitted the wires the way I needed to with stock manifolds and a modified set of Taylor vertical looms.

Can't say anything wrong with them. Have had good luck with Taylor in the past (and others, but have been using these lately)

Mooser

Last edited by Mooser; 07-24-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: wrong pics
Old 07-23-2012, 08:43 PM
blackbeauty74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used those same taylor wires.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 PM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MSD 8.5 is what I use one everything. I have tried them all and found MSD IMO to be the best out there
Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

I'll look into the MSD wires. I like their idea of a positive click when engaging the spark plug.

It has been suggested that you can tighten the plug clip end with pliers, but I think that is already my issue. The Moroso wires are very hard to push on the plug and tend to slide up inside the boot, to the point the boot covers the entire insulator of the plug, and will not go up any further. Almost, as if the clip was too tight to begin with. And, I have always been using the dielectric lube for ease of assembly.

What else would we have to do if everything went according to plan?

Ralph
Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
spinadog
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by l88rocket
MSD 8.5 is what I use one everything. I have tried them all and found MSD IMO to be the best out there
Absolutely. They sell a kit that lets you cut the 8.5mm leads to exact size - comes with the stripping tool and works excellent. I also found I needed some heat protecting boots for the plug ends - those BB's get hot.

Get notified of new replies

To Best BBC spark plug wires.

Quick Reply: Best BBC spark plug wires.