C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans fluid INSIDE my Tremec speedo cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 PM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans fluid INSIDE my Tremec speedo cable

Hello all,
Well in all my excitement to drive my car after the engine transplant, I took off with no exhaust. I was just running straight out of the headers. This resulted in me melting the plastic sleeve off part of my TKO 500 speedo cable. The metal sleeve that houses the actual cable is fine. The speedometer works as it always did. I was like, no biggie, some teflon tape and rubber electrical tape and she's good as new. Well....uhm.....no. So soon after, I find a 4 inch puddle of trans fluid on my garage floor. I'm like WTF? Upon further inspection I see that there is trans fluid leaking OUT of the the speedo cable. This isn't leaking from the case where the cable and gear go in. It is actually leaking FROM INSIDE the cable. So I took out the speedo gear assembly and unclipped the actual gear and I can see how fluid can easily migrate its way into the cable sleeve. Am I missing an O-ring under the gear or something? The only O-ring I see is the one that fits on the circumference of the assembly where it slides into the side of the trans. Now I searched and found issues with the speedo assembly leaking from the housing, but what about INSIDE the cable sleeve? I think I'm going to try to wrap it up tight with teflon and rubber self-sealing electrical tape and see if that works before I remove my cable and replace it. Anybody ever experience this?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

My TKO600 leaks fluid from the speedo cable, where the plastic sleeve is crimped to the metal end at the transmission. So I guess I have fluid in my cable as well.

I sealed that joint with RTV and it no longer leaks. I assume I still have fluid in the cable. I have not investigated any seals in the cable end/speedo drive gear area.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 AM
brando1118
Pro

Hi Barry,
Thanks for the reply. This doesn't seem to be an issue that a lot of people have encountered. I was going to post my solution later today, but I woke up for work and saw your response so now is as good a time as any. I used Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape. This stuff is two sided sticky and is intended for non-pressure fluid leaks. I wrapped the entire compromised area from the end that goes into the trans and up the cable about 18 inches. Then I wrapped it in regular vinyl electrical tape. We'll see how it works. Exhaust goes on Friday.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would anyone call this an expedient repair for an unfortunate situation or BUBBA?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
brando1118
Pro

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
Would anyone call this an expedient repair for an unfortunate situation or BUBBA?
Hardly a Bubba.
It's a speedometer cable, not a paper clip holding a valve seal in place.
The tape bonds together to make a permanent jacket around whatever it's wrapped too. Pretty cool stuff. Cost me $7 and 15 minutes of my time. If it works, then I'm way ahead. If it doesn't, then I'm prepared to purchase another cable and replace it. Got the idea from this very forum. I don't do Bubba.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
My TKO-600 speedo cable has a "Made in China" sticker on it. The plastic covering is extremely thin. I would think that the Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape would only be an improvement.

If there is any "Bubba" involved, it would be the original manufacture of this cable.

Note: Scotch 2234 might be a better product as it states "Tough, abrasion, moisture, chemical and oil resistant tape that's flexible for jacket repair", as 2228 does not mention "chemical and oil resistant".
Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 PM
brando1118
Pro

Originally Posted by Barry's70LT1
My TKO-600 speedo cable has a "Made in China" sticker on it. The plastic covering is extremely thin. I would think that the Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape would only be an improvement.

If there is any "Bubba" involved, it would be the original manufacture of this cable.

Note: Scotch 2234 might be a better product as it states "Tough, abrasion, moisture, chemical and oil resistant tape that's flexible for jacket repair", as 2228 does not mention "chemical and oil resistant".
Thanks Barry,
Yep, you are right. I did not see that at the Depot. What I've got is tightly and neatly wound and then covered in tightly wrapped vinyl electrical tape so I'm going to let it ride and see how it does. If it leaks again, a new cable is going in.
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Trans fluid INSIDE my Tremec speedo cable

Quick Reply: Trans fluid INSIDE my Tremec speedo cable