C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 power steering assist cylinder???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
ED79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1979 power steering assist cylinder???

Last year I installed a new control valve because of leakage and stiff steering and sadly it's still been stiff. Was wondering if the assist cylinder could be the cause? I removed the castle nut on the old one and started the engine, when I looked at the cylinder piston I noticed it closed up into the cylinder but didn't come back out as I turned the steering wheel...is this wrong or is it bad? Is there a way to test the assist cylinder for proper function? Thanks Ed
Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Was your valve properly centered when you installed it?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:40 AM
ED79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

After installing the control valve I never messed with the assist cylinder because it never pulled the steering wheel in either direction so I assumed it was good. So (to center) do I remove the castle nut on the assist cylinder at the frame and proceed the centering process? Thanks Ed
Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...lve+adjustment
post #5 in this thread
Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 AM
ED79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, but back to the original question, how to know if assist cylinder is working properly and can that make steering stiff feeling? ED
Old 08-06-2012, 08:05 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

if you adjust the power steering valve you'll find out if the cylinder is working...properly. Its real simple, dont over think it. I dont think it your issue, good luck
Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 AM
ED79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
if you adjust the power steering valve you'll find out if the cylinder is working...properly. Its real simple, dont over think it. I dont think it your issue, good luck
Thanks again I'll let you know how it goes... ED
Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 PM
ED79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ED79
Thanks again I'll let you know how it goes... ED

Ok I centered the control valve, it wasn't out too much so that's good now even though the steering is still kind of stiff and not much play in it. I did notice the top adjustment screw on the gear box was showing a good 4 threads hmmm...instead of 3. Thanks again for your help ED
Old 08-06-2012, 01:00 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Leave your steering box alone. pull the cap on the pump, start your engine ,look down inside the pump, if you can see the pump metal impeller spinning, add fluid, if the impeller is covered with fluid but the fluid doesn't appear to be moving very fast, might need to rebuild or replace. pump has a few rubber o-rings in it , if those are gone, it wont leak but you wont get good pressure and you may have pieces of o-ring plugging things up
Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just spit-ballin' here, but now that we can assume the valve is OK, and if you've taken Alaska's advice and the pump checks out; are all the steering components properly greased and nothing binding?

Also you say the steering is stiff. Is it stiff turning left? right? both ways?

Let us know, the more info the better.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
ED79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by briankeery
Just spit-ballin' here, but now that we can assume the valve is OK, and if you've taken Alaska's advice and the pump checks out; are all the steering components properly greased and nothing binding?

Also you say the steering is stiff. Is it stiff turning left? right? both ways?

Let us know, the more info the better.
Everything greased, no binding or rough spots but stiff both ways on the ground rolling, btw I haven't checked the pump yet good, even though while turning the steering wheel, when off of ground and the pump cap off, motor running, I looked down at to see if there were any bubbles and I didn't notice any movement at all...1979/350 L48 80,000 miles. Thanks for the reply... ED
Old 08-06-2012, 04:55 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

you should see fluid flow and it should be real flow not just movement. I think you found your problem
Old 08-06-2012, 05:32 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Ed, as we centre in on the pump, are you hearing the pump "labour" when you turn the steering wheel? if so, is it when the car is moving or stationary?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unbolt the piston at the frame connection, start the engine and turn the wheel side-to-side, front end jacked up. If the piston doesn't move freely or not at all it is bad. Curiously the 79 basket case that I had steered so hard that there was a 'bang' in the front end when you turned the wheel enough. The power steering ram was the cause.

Rick B.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

I completely rebuilt all of the power steering parts and replaced the hoses on mine, except the pump, still had hard steering , replaced the pump, that fixed mine, not sayin it will fix yours, but it worked on mine. Then I converted to the borgy setup and sold the oe setup to another member for less than core including the pump and gear box. To many moving parts. not advertising for the borg. if I'd had the funds I would've went to rack and pinion. hope this helps
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by briankeery
Ed, as we centre in on the pump, are you hearing the pump "labour" when you turn the steering wheel? if so, is it when the car is moving or stationary?
excellent diagnostic
Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 PM
ED79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
you should see fluid flow and it should be real flow not just movement. I think you found your problem
Ok after removing the cap and starting I feel like I only have "just movement" I mean it's not like it's really sloshing around plus with tires on the ground and start turning you can hear a faint straining noise, not loud, so who knows what it could be at this point ED

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 power steering assist cylinder???

Old 08-07-2012, 01:19 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

you wont know till you buy or rebuild a few parts, that why I swapped mine out, to many parts
Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The power steering cylinder is rarely the cause for steering problems...unless the rod is bent. Of course, it can leak at the exit end of the rod (seal problem) or the ball stud can wear out. Otherwise, there is almost nothing in that part which could cause your problem.

The most likely causes are: #1) a problem with the control valve; #2) bad P/S pump.

I know that you just rebuilt your valve, but there could have been some problem with the assembly. But, I suspect that your pump is the problem here. To know for sure, you could measure output pressure. [Testing method shown in Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual]
Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Ok, just checked Pep Boys website. Remanufactured PS pump $46.99 with a $14.00 core. Looks like you reuse your reservoir, which makes sense. Might as well take a chance Ed for that money.......but all avenues seem to head in that direction.

Quick Reply: 1979 power steering assist cylinder???