C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flushing coolant question

Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Flushing coolant question

I've never flushed a coolant system before, and have a question.

After I flush the system, I will have plain water in the engine block and heater hoses. After I drain the radiator, do I simply fill the radiator with non-diluted ethylene glycol coolant? Is the radiator around 50% of the capacity of the coolant system? Or is the radiator a larger percentage of the system, and therefore I would want to dilute it?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

when you drain the radiator from the bottom petcock you are draining most of the fluid out of the whole engine. You need about 2 gallons of straight antifeeze and 2 gallons of distilled water or 4 gallons of the pre-mixed antifreeze.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Flush it; drain it; add 2 gallons of ethylene glycol antifreeze (100%); then top off with whatever distilled water you need. Leave radiator cap OFF, as you warm up the car. Allow thermostat to open (note coolant flowing in radiator) and trapped air to be expelled; then add water until level doesn't change. Re-install cap.

If you have an overflow system, just keep fluid in the O/F tank at the required level.

Get notified of new replies

To Flushing coolant question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flushing coolant question