C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 04:00 PM
bjenki7
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Column Question

I have a 1977 vette with T&T. My key lock cylinder was stuck in the run position. I followed Jim's pages and was able to disassemble part of the column in order to remove the key lock cylinder. The key lock cylinder was bad. It still wouldn't turn when I took it out.

I thought that would solve my problems, so I installed the new key lock cylinder, and it has issues too. At first I was able to turn it a lot more than I was able to with the old key lock cylinder. I just couldn't turn it to the "off/lock" position and take the key out, and when I turned it to the "start" position it wouldn't spring back to the "run" position. Now it has frozen up too. When it is inserted into the steering column it will only turn a little. When I take it out of the column it will turn fine, though, so the key lock cylinder is not the problem. I could definitely use some help on this one.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Rack and sector binding?

You'll have to tear the column down pretty far to get to it.

I had a similar problem because I forced the actuator rod that connects the ignition switch too far in and damaged it.

The flat section that engages the lock cylinder was binding in its housing. I had to put a washer behind it. With the lock cylinder out you should be able to turn it with some needle nose pliers. I found mine wouldn't turn unless I pulled it out a little.

You'll have to tear down the column just as far to get to that too...
Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 AM
bjenki7
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it definitely seems like something in there is jamming. I will have to try to turn it with a needle nose. It doesnt spring back from the start position either though. Is that an ignition switch problem?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Die cast rack breaking is a common problem with old T&T columns. However, that usually results in being able to turn the ignition key with nothing happening. But I suppose that a broken rack could jam the sector and rack coming together. If things are jammed, then the spring inside the ignition switch may not be able to move back out of the START position.

I think that you are going to have to disassemble the steering column further.

I have complete instructions on Disassembly and Repair of the T&T column over at the www.corvettefaq.com website.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Question

Quick Reply: Steering Column Question