C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped drag radials to Bias ply-- lost 5mph?

Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Swapped drag radials to Bias ply-- lost 5mph?

Last fall, I took my car to the track a few times and made 7-8 passes with it on MT 275/60/15 Drag Radials. My car only made 386rwhp/406rwtq, weights 3460lbs with me in it, and it was a 4speed with 3.73gears. I ran low 12s to high 11s. mph 113-116... I played with launching rpm and shift pts, but managed to improve with each run.

My Best w/drag radials

60ft 1.752
330 4.989
660 7.659
MPH1 91.46
1000 9.973
1320 11.930
MPH2 115.12

I hit 116.2mph on another 11.98 pass.

I took the car to the track on opening day this year (back in April) and the 4speed broke and the case split in half on the first launch. I had the car apart for few months and swapped in a liberty gear built tko 600 5spd trans which is faceplatted and set up for drag racing. I went with centerforce dual friction clutch and 25lb centerforce billet steel flywheel. I also redid my fuel system, installed a fuel cell with sump, aeromotive electric pump with -10an lines and aeromotive reg. I swapped my stock seats for a super light weight Kirkey seat, and changed from MT drag Radials to Hoosier 28x11.5x15 quick time pros. I was told that bias ply drag tires are a better match for stick shift cars because they absorb some shock and are easier on drivetrain parts. I was also told they hook better once you figure out what pressure and rpm to run.

Just made it out to strip with new set up and ended up running slower times and also lost mph? I run 13.16, 12.26,12.208,12.100.....and my mph was 110-111mph. On my fastest pass of the day I did reach a new best for 60ft though.

Best pass

60ft 1.699
330 4.973
660 7.733
MPH1 89.31
1000 10.09
1320 12.109
MPH2 111.62

was fun to get car back to the track but I feel like I took a step backward a little bit. However I was shifting easy this time... and trans is built for powershifting.

My goal is to get closer to 11.50s and i ended up run slower and not even getting back into the 11s. Also i dont know why my mph is down. Will a change from radials to bias ply cause a change in mph? My 5speed is geared up slighty diff then the 4speed st10 i had before could take cause the change.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

I also have a few videos from track this past Sat.

12.26 pass

12.10 pass

Last edited by L-82kid; 08-20-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,873 Likes on 911 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Any weather data? Your good passes were last fall...and I'm guessing it's a good bit warmer now? How about humidity, headwinds etc?

Bias Ply slicks will often be slower than radials by a MPH or so....but they obviously worked with the improved 60' even with the greatly increased first gear ratio.

JIM
Old 08-20-2012, 11:56 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

In the fall my best pass it was 63deg 54% humidity and this past time out it was 70deg 51% humidity.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 AM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Could be a combination of factors for the slower runs, weather conditions, state of tune (fresh spark plugs needed maybe), etc. But I experienced the same thing (worse runs) when trying a set of ET bias slicks. The MT ET Drag Radials have less rolling resistance than bias ply tires. They also work better with the C3 suspension; no flexing or ballooning on the top end. I ended up selling the slicks and putting the Drag Radials back on, and the performance was back to normal.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

From a technical point of view I can see the bias ply tire absorbing the shock/hit from a 4 speed, so instead of the shift being transferred to the pavement some is energy is absorbed in the tire itself so can see where some MPH and ET could be lost in the change. Off the line they should be the same or little quicker due to the better launch you will get once the sidewall straightens back up
Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I can't tell how well you're hooking because the vids are skipping as I watch them for some reason. So, with either tire, are you spinning at all off the line or are you dead hooking? Assuming you still have the MTs and they are hooking as well as the Hoosiers, I'd go back to them the next time out for sure. You made some other changes, so I'd want to isolate those from the tires and see where that puts you compared to before.

Also, I'm curious about what tires you run on the back for the street. If they're normal street tires I'm sure you're "traction challenged". I mention this because for years I ran Nitto Drag Radials on the street so I could keep from putting on a smoke show under throttle. They really helped but they could still be defeated, especially as they aged.

I recently got a set of ET Street Radials and went to the track shortly after getting them. After putting some heat into them I dead hooked on every run. I was told to start them at about 18 psi and drop down 1-2 psi if needed until I hooked. However, I was told that if they hooked, to run as much pressure as possible since my ETs and traps would improve due to less rolling resistance. I'm really impressed by these tires and I love the fact that they also work great on the street at 32 psi. I realize that your situation is different since you have a clutch but they could be a great overall solution for you. Good luck next time out.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:09 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

How tall are the Hoosiers compared to the drag radials? If they are taller they took away some of your gear.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by bashcraft
How tall are the Hoosiers compared to the drag radials? If they are taller they took away some of your gear.
It looks like the Hoosiers are 28", which is pretty much identical to the MTs in height.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
It looks like the Hoosiers are 28", which is pretty much identical to the MTs in height.
Oh, I thought the MT's were shorter.

Carry on.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Any weather data? Your good passes were last fall...and I'm guessing it's a good bit warmer now? How about humidity, headwinds etc?

Bias Ply slicks will often be slower than radials by a MPH or so....but they obviously worked with the improved 60' even with the greatly increased first gear ratio.

JIM

Use you air data in this calculator.
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...calculator.php

Anything in the negatives is good air. Down here in Louisiana he can sometimes hit -1000 to -2000 DA and those are when the best track times come.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Les
I can't tell how well you're hooking because the vids are skipping as I watch them for some reason. So, with either tire, are you spinning at all off the line or are you dead hooking? Assuming you still have the MTs and they are hooking as well as the Hoosiers, I'd go back to them the next time out for sure. You made some other changes, so I'd want to isolate those from the tires and see where that puts you compared to before.

Also, I'm curious about what tires you run on the back for the street. If they're normal street tires I'm sure you're "traction challenged". I mention this because for years I ran Nitto Drag Radials on the street so I could keep from putting on a smoke show under throttle. They really helped but they could still be defeated, especially as they aged.

I recently got a set of ET Street Radials and went to the track shortly after getting them. After putting some heat into them I dead hooked on every run. I was told to start them at about 18 psi and drop down 1-2 psi if needed until I hooked. However, I was told that if they hooked, to run as much pressure as possible since my ETs and traps would improve due to less rolling resistance. I'm really impressed by these tires and I love the fact that they also work great on the street at 32 psi. I realize that your situation is different since you have a clutch but they could be a great overall solution for you. Good luck next time out.

I actually have two sets of 15X8.5" convo pros for the back. Street tires are firestones 255/60/15 and the car will smoke them from a roll pretty easy. The other set of wheels has the Hoosiers mounted.

With The MT drag radials the car felt like it hooked hard and really put me in the seat at launch. They were pretty good on the highway and normal driving. I actually drove 1.5hr to the track, ran the 11.93, and then drove home on them. I wish I still had them but when the trans broke I sold them to a friend for $300. I should of just stayed with them. I ran 22psi in them and only did a short burnout and they hooked great.

The Hoosiers provided a lower 60ft but the car doesn't feel like it launches are hard. I had to run 15psi before they hooked and i had to get them hot to hook.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:42 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bashcraft

My old 4speed had a 2.64 1st gear ratio...new 5speed has 2.87 1st......The MT and hoosiers are about the same height.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sigforty

Use you air data in this calculator.
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...calculator.php

Anything in the negatives is good air. Down here in Louisiana he can sometimes hit -1000 to -2000 DA and those are when the best track times come.
I used the calculator and came up with this: Lebanon Valley Dragway NY

DA on my 11.93 ET run was 1800ft

DA on with slower runs was 1702ft
Old 08-21-2012, 11:05 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
Could be a combination of factors for the slower runs, weather conditions, state of tune (fresh spark plugs needed maybe), etc. But I experienced the same thing (worse runs) when trying a set of ET bias slicks. The MT ET Drag Radials have less rolling resistance than bias ply tires. They also work better with the C3 suspension; no flexing or ballooning on the top end. I ended up selling the slicks and putting the Drag Radials back on, and the performance was back to normal.
I'm considering doing the same and selling slicks and going back to MT Drag radials. The Hoosiers also suck on the street when cruising at highway speeds. The drag radials were pretty good on street.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by L-82kid
I actually have two sets of 15X8.5" convo pros for the back. Street tires are firestones 255/60/15 and the car will smoke them from a roll pretty easy. The other set of wheels has the Hoosiers mounted.

With The MT drag radials the car felt like it hooked hard and really put me in the seat at launch. They were pretty good on the highway and normal driving. I actually drove 1.5hr to the track, ran the 11.93, and then drove home on them. I wish I still had them but when the trans broke I sold them to a friend for $300. I should of just stayed with them. I ran 22psi in them and only did a short burnout and they hooked great.

The Hoosiers provided a lower 60ft but the car doesn't feel like it launches are hard. I had to run 15psi before they hooked and i had to get them hot to hook.
Yea, those Firestones are definitely overmatched. So, now you have me curious. Were the MTs the Drag Radials like this-
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...m=ETDragRadial
Or were they the Street Radials like this-
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...ETStreetRadial

I'm asking because driving to and from the track on slicks could make for an interesting drive.

The 22 psi for the MTs vs. the 15 psi for the Hoosiers could definitely play a role in the difference in trap speeds.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Les
Yea, those Firestones are definitely overmatched. So, now you have me curious. Were the MTs the Drag Radials like this-
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...m=ETDragRadial
Or were they the Street Radials like this-
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...ETStreetRadial

I'm asking because driving to and from the track on slicks could make for an interesting drive.

The 22 psi for the MTs vs. the 15 psi for the Hoosiers could definitely play a role in the difference in trap speeds.

I was running the street radials

Get notified of new replies

To Swapped drag radials to Bias ply-- lost 5mph?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the problems is you made a lot of changes.

When your that close to having it dialed in small changes one at a time is the key to happiness.

If it were me I'd backit up a little and put it back to the way it was and then go from there.
I know it's not practical to completely undo the new mods butget it as close as practical.

R~
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by L-82kid
I was running the street radials

OK, that makes sense. By the way, your Vette is looking good. If I was in your situation, I'd be looking to get another set of the ET Street Radials before the next trip to the track. That should get you back in the ballpark. Then you can start isolating things where you made the other changes to make sure your set up is optimized.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The wider ratio in the 5 speed might be the issue. Your dropping a little more rpm between shifts and are not in the sweet spot on rpm on upshifts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapped drag radials to Bias ply-- lost 5mph?