C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint blister

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 AM
moondoggy200
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint blister

Hello I have a 1974 vette it has a new 3 stage paint job, on the engine hood there is a 3 to 4 inch blister in the paint, when I bought the car 3 months ago I had the seller repaint the hood it came out perfect, but the same blister is just starting to reappear, and I just noticed the inside of hood is missing the insulator blanket that goes on the inside of hood ???? could the engine heat be causing the blister? what do you all think. I have ordered a new insulator blanket, thanks in advance for all input. Rich outttt.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cause could be from contaminants coming up from under the hood. Does your car have a/c? Sometimes oil from the a/c compressor will come up from underneath the hood. It does not have to be oil from the a/c compressor that just seems to be one of the more prominent causes.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Normal underhood temperatures do not get high enough to blister paint from the underside. Corvette hood insulation is for sound deadening purposes, not heat protection.

AC clutch oil can seep through fiberglass over time. Is your paint blister over the AC compressor?

My first hunch is that something is in the fiberglass/primer/sealer causing the top coat to lift.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Normal underhood temperatures do not get high enough to blister paint from the underside. Corvette hood insulation is for sound deadening purposes, not heat protection.

AC clutch oil can seep through fiberglass over time. Is your paint blister over the AC compressor?

My first hunch is that something is in the fiberglass/primer/sealer causing the top coat to lift.

The bad news there is nothing (that I know of) that will stop it. The hood may need replacing.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:30 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a bubble from heat too. It only happens when I leave it in the sun on a hot day 90+ then it disappears when it cools off. I think moister gets under the gel coat and expanse when it gets hot...

Last edited by hugie82; 08-22-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I think as others have said M200's problem sounds like a contamination problem; while h82's sounds like an adhesion problem.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

You can get an add on piece that bolts to the a/c compressor to help stop oil from getting on the underside of the hood.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 PM
moondoggy200
Advanced

Default Paint blister

Originally Posted by Roco71
The cause could be from contaminants coming up from under the hood. Does your car have a/c? Sometimes oil from the a/c compressor will come up from underneath the hood. It does not have to be oil from the a/c compressor that just seems to be one of the more prominent causes.
Hello again My 74 does have AC. its hooked up with fan belt but it doesn't come on, or run, if there was oil contaminants ? would I be able to see Ollie substance on inside of hood? I did have a big power steering leak for a week, thanks for your help.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by moondoggy200
Hello again My 74 does have AC. its hooked up with fan belt but it doesn't come on, or run, if there was oil contaminants ? would I be able to see Ollie substance on inside of hood? I did have a big power steering leak for a week, thanks for your help.
You might be able to see oil on the inside of the hood or it could have been cleaned off. I have seen contaminates come from tar based sound deadener the oil from the tar gets in the glass. Fiberglass is porous and absorbs things sort of like a sponge. Once in the glass its difficult if not impossible to get out of the fiberglass if it has started from underneath and worked its way to the top. Setting in the sun draws the contaminates to the surface. This is one of the reason many of us use epoxy primers to help seal the surface before painting. Where on the hood is the paint bubbling?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 AM
moondoggy200
Advanced

Default Paint blister

You might be able to see oil on the inside of the hood or it could have been cleaned off. I have seen contaminates come from tar based sound deadener the oil from the tar gets in the glass. Fiberglass is porous and absorbs things sort of like a sponge. Once in the glass its difficult if not impossible to get out of the fiberglass if it has started from underneath and worked its way to the top. Setting in the sun draws the contaminates to the surface. This is one of the reason many of us use epoxy primers to help seal the surface before painting. Where on the hood is the paint bubbling?
Hi again the blister is just off center, favoring the driver side. I did have a power steering hose burst and leaked brake fluid ever-wear, if it is a dent repair that was poorly primed under the paint I know the seller and can get the hood grinded out and fixed, primed correctly it could be that the body shop took a short cut, thanks for your input. this is my first vette and I love it, just going to take some getting used to all the special insights to how they work, this web site is so valuable thanks again Rich outttt
Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
...You can get an add on piece that bolts to the a/c compressor to help stop oil from getting on the underside of the hood...
Yah, but it serves no purpose if the contamination has already taken place. By that time, the proverbial horse is already out of the barn.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 AM
myko
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The bad news there is nothing (that I know of) that will stop it. The hood may need replacing.
I have bubbles showing up on a few different panels so I hope someone here has some (any) ideas. It was out on a few 100+ days and developed some bubbles that split and contracted the clear coat but I am still concerned that thinner in the fiberglass is the underlying problem. I am waiting to see if anything else develops over the summer before I try to fix it. I was going to try sanding and spot repair myself - hey, it won't look any worse - before I do anything costly/drastic.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll try about anything before I replace that much fiberglass!

Get notified of new replies

To paint blister

Quick Reply: paint blister