C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crack in my frame! Bad frame? Is my car scrap? large pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 09:42 AM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Crack in my frame! Bad frame? Is my car scrap? large pics (chigung)

I picture 1 and 2 the line looks too straight to be a crack. I would clean that area up and get a closer look.

In picture 3 at some point someone cut that bolt off with a cutting torch. The damage is to the fuel tank support not the frame. I would replace those bolts with good quality grade 8 bolts and use a larger washer. Or get a used support from the junkyard.

I pictures 4 and 5 again the damage was done with a cutting torch. It looks like someone tried to get access to that bolt without removing the brace. As that is just the brace to the front bumper there is no frame integrity issue here. Again you could get a used brace from the junk yard.

In picture 7 & 8 it again looks like damage from a cutting torch but for the life of me I can't think of why someone would cut that. (As the fuel take support is also cut with a torch I might speculate that someone tried removing the fuel tank without knowing how? :confused: ) That is a low sress area of the fram and should be able to be welded.

Of all of them the only one that would really concern me and be a frame integrity issue would be the one by the spring pocket. I don't see any that couldn't be easily repaired.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:08 AM
Geoff1340
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crack in my frame! Bad frame? Is my car scrap? large pics (chigung)

My 77 had the same damage...I simply cleaned her up and welded it, that was 4-5 years ago and no new problems....except the heater core,window motor,water leaks,electrical gremlins,rear bearings,T-arms,............ :cry
Old 06-01-2002, 10:32 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Crack in my frame! Bad frame? Is my car scrap? large pics (Pete79L82)

What Pete said. Chuck is exactly right about the rust, but if you've pounded the crap out of it and found no soft spots, I think you've just got a combination of two things: 1. stress cracks around the the front spring clearances (very common), 2. and bubba's big adventure with a torch. I suspect a previous owner wanted those supports off and the bolts where frozen, so her fired 'er up.

JB

[Modified by JB, 8:39 AM 6/1/2002]
Old 06-01-2002, 10:51 AM
chigung
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crack in my frame! Bad frame? Is my car scrap? large pics (JB)

Cool.

Well, thanks again guys, ill let you know what happens.
As for the last owner, all i have to say is.... Yee Haw!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Crack in my frame! Bad frame? Is my car scrap? large pics