C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pedal makes strange noise, any suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Sideways73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal makes strange noise, any suggestions??

Ok so it is a 77, I replaced all the brake calipers, pads, drained and flushed out the entire brake system, and bled everything. The brakes worked awesome for a couple of months.

Now the car sat for month while I was out of town and when I press the brake pedal it makes an air whooshing sound the entire time the brake pedal is held down. The car still stops (checked in the driveway, not driving down the road like this because it is very odd) Nothing is leaking, the brake fluid level does not drop at all. I checked the vacuum at the brake booster it is around 15 PSI at idle, It almost sounds like when I hold the pedal down it makes a vacuum leak behind the firewall at the brake pedal. Any ideas?? Like I said the car still stops, though the brakes don't feel as good as they used to be and the fluid level doesn't drop. My first thought is the Brake booster is going bad?? Just wanted to see if anyone else had this happen before I start swapping parts out.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I belive there is supposed to be a seal where the pedal rod goes through the firewall, is yours gone?

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...oducts_id=8850

Last edited by MelWff; 09-11-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:12 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

it does sound like the diaphram has a leak, have you tried putting a vacuum pump on it to see if it holds vacuum?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Sideways73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try the vacuum pump tomorrow and see if that seal is there or has went the way of the dodo.... Thanks for the advice, hoping it isn't the whole booster, but if it is then that is just a reason to replace the master cylinder also since it will be off anyway!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pedal makes strange noise, any suggestions??

Quick Reply: Brake pedal makes strange noise, any suggestions??