C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy Crate engine or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 01:58 AM
mastiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy Crate engine or rebuild?

Whats up guys?
I just dissasembled the L48 engine from my recently purchased 72. It had lost compression, and I felt all the rings had broken. Sure enough all but one cylinder had broken rings. The engine has 108,000 on it, and I don't think it has ever been fully rebuilt. My goal for this car is to get an engine around 400hp. I am trying to decide if I should rebuild the original or buy a crate. Help me out guys.

I am debating whether I should bore my original block .030 over and install new heads (Vortecs probally) or buy a GM goodwrench 330hp block and change the cam and port the heads to try to get closer to the 400 hp mark. I think these crate engines are around $2200, right?

If I go with the rebuild, I will have the benefit of having 355 instead of 350, and probally hypereutectic pistons. The original engine had a Edelbrock Torquer II intake, 487x heads, a Crane Blazer 288H cam, headers - I doin't think I will use most of this on the new engine because it seems too radical for a street engine.

Can anybody tell me how much the machining should be for cleaning, checking for cracks,bore and honing of cylinders and possibly crank, reconditioning connecting rods, and anything else needed for a rebuild. I am trying to figure out which will be the cheaper way of getting the 72 running again. Thanks.

Andrew
Austin, TX
Old 06-03-2002, 02:29 AM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Buy Crate engine or rebuild? (mastiff)

Not that I'm any sort of expert, but I'd go w/ your old block and make a 355. You then have control over every part that goes in it and know exactly what you've got. Check out the engine mods section of the forum. :seeya
Old 06-03-2002, 02:50 AM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Default Re: Buy Crate engine or rebuild? (Rob 91Z07)

with a hunert and eight thousand miles on the clock a total rebuild is going to be required. Many will argue with me on this one but if your going to have it all apart anyway, put a 383 kit in. The assemblies that are being made today are every bit as strong as the 350 stuff and you'll get a boost in bottom end, which is where you want it unless your building a drag motor. I almost can't wait for mine to blow up cause when it does it's gettin a stroker kit.

PS, you raise mastiffs, mastiff. I have three, they're the best!!

[Modified by BubbaJJ, 12:51 AM 6/3/2002]
Old 06-03-2002, 02:59 AM
mastiff
Instructor

Default Re: Buy Crate engine or rebuild? (BubbaJJ)

bubbaJJ,

I don't have any mastiffs right now because I don't have the room, but they are my favorite dog. I have a pit bull right now until I get a yard for a couple of mastiffs

Andrew
Austin, TX
Old 06-03-2002, 03:09 AM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Default Re: Buy Crate engine or rebuild? (mastiff)

I'm hoping to have a litter or two in about a year. Keep me in mind. These dogs are a real joy and I plan to do all I can to spread the breed. :)
Old 06-03-2002, 06:47 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Buy Crate engine or rebuild? (BubbaJJ)

If you are looking for that kind of HP you would use less money getting a create motor.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:45 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Buy Crate engine or rebuild? (redwingvette)

I think going with a 383 stroker would cost less then a crate engine and you could make more horse and way more torque. Get a kit that is balanced already then you can just assemble it.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:57 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Buy Crate engine or rebuild? (Fevre)

Go with a stroker 383 kit and a decent set of heads. You will easily make 400 hp with ample torque. I like to build my own motors. Nothing wrong with crate but I know what is in there and how it was put together.

Get notified of new replies

To Buy Crate engine or rebuild?

Quick Reply: Buy Crate engine or rebuild?