C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric water pump, alternator belt size?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Default electric water pump, alternator belt size?

Hey guys, I'm gonna do the electric water pump thing(next week at soonest) in my efforts to lighten car and take a little drag off motor. anyway, anyone know what size belt im gonna need to connect crankshaft pulley straight to alternator. its a 78 with a stock 350 small block engine.
thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Weight savings is minimal and energy savings is zero. The alternator has to work harder to supply the electricity the pump uses, all 1-2 horsepower.

Save your money.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:26 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You would probably be better off putting in an electric fan rather than a waterpump. The fan will only kick on at higher temps while the electric water pump will run all of the time.

I happen to have both electric pump and fan because the engine I bought had the electric pump already installed. I have a higher output alternator on the LS1 so the losses may be less. Unless you are planning to put in a higher amperage alternator you probably won't feel any difference in performance and the weight difference might be negative with the electric motor.

Rick B.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

i got 2 electric fan for radiator. but i totally gutted ac system so i figured i'd be fine on juice.... thanks for replies
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette

I have a higher output alternator on the LS1 so the losses may be less. Unless you are planning to put in a higher amperage alternator you probably won't feel any difference in performance and the weight difference might be negative with the electric motor.

:
Bigger alternators take more HP to run. No free lunch.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
You would probably be better off putting in an electric fan rather than a waterpump. The fan will only kick on at higher temps while the electric water pump will run all of the time.

I happen to have both electric pump and fan because the engine I bought had the electric pump already installed. I have a higher output alternator on the LS1 so the losses may be less. Unless you are planning to put in a higher amperage alternator you probably won't feel any difference in performance and the weight difference might be negative with the electric motor.

Rick B.
summit says it weighs 6 pounds. what happened is i first ordered the aluminum water pump to save weight, but it is the shorty that my car needs. the one i originally ordered was like $65, the one that will actually fit is $270, i decided the weight reduction wasn't worth that much, so i figured a happy medium would be the electric water pump. i do want to do the wildwood aluminum calipers eventually, just didn't want to shell out all the money right now>
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66225BK/

Last edited by Doug1; 09-24-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
No free lunch.
maybe not in Canada, but here in America there seems to be many free lunches....but this belongs in the politics forum.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

if you guys really think my reasoning, lightening and less engine drag, isn't worth the money or is faulty(less engine drag), the wrong water pump just went out(sent from me to them) in mail today, so I have plenty of time to change the order and I saw a new aluminum one on craiglist for $100
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

FWIW: an interesting read in Hot Rod Magazine, 1/12

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...ps_suck_power/
Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug1
if you guys really think my reasoning, lightening and less engine drag, isn't worth the money or is faulty(less engine drag), the wrong water pump just went out(sent from me to them) in mail today, so I have plenty of time to change the order and I saw a new aluminum one on craiglist for $100
Despite all the physics on paper that people say prove that electric water pumps aren't worth the money, you will net more HP by using one vs. a mechanical.....or else racers wouldn't prefer them. But, as for your original question, it is almost impossible to get an alternator belt to fit with a small block unless you remove the power steering pump. The belt usually just rubs against the elect. pump. An undersize crank pulley will give you more room and may work.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
Despite all the physics on paper that people say prove that electric water pumps aren't worth the money, you will net more HP by using one vs. a mechanical.....or else racers wouldn't prefer them.
'Racers' actually use NO pump at all when the car is under it's own power. The pump is used only to circulate coolant before and after the run, usually from an external power source.

Any real 'racer' would know this.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
'Racers' actually use NO pump at all when the car is under it's own power. The pump is used only to circulate coolant before and after the run, usually from an external power source.

Any real 'racer' would know this.
What's the difference between a racer and a "real racer"? There are many "real racers" who race bone stock. The degree to which you modify your car doesn't determine your racing status. But they almost always search for that extra bit of horsepower.....and using an electric water pump has been proven on the track, and on the dyno to do so.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Despite all the physics on paper that people say prove that electric water pumps aren't worth the money, you will net more HP by using one vs. a mechanical.....or else racers wouldn't prefer them. But, as for your original question, it is almost impossible to get an alternator belt to fit with a small block unless you remove the power steering pump. The belt usually just rubs against the elect. pump. An undersize crank pulley will give you more room and may work.
oh... didn't know all that...hmmm? ok, thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

i just looked at it, since gutted the ac, i do have the middle pulley available which is abit more forward, i can move alternator same distance forward with some washers as shims, i think it will work. but i dont know how far forward the electric pump sits..?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doug1
i just looked at it, since gutted the ac, i do have the middle pulley available which is abit more forward, i can move alternator same distance forward with some washers as shims, i think it will work. but i dont know how far forward the electric pump sits..?
The pump motor extends forward beyond where you can extend the alternator. The belt must go under it. Otherwise, you can remove the PS pump and put the alternator there, with the belt under the elect.pump.

See this pic and you'll understand....

Old 09-26-2012, 05:21 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good looking engine. How do you like that "quick fuel carb? A friend of mine drag races a Malibu w/ a SBC and swears by his Quick Fuel Carb. He runs an electric water pump off of the battery, but no alternator, just charges the battery the entire time the car is sitting. Runs great.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 PM
LongIsland C3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a electric water pump on my worked 355. However, I converted
to a serp system with dual electric fans and a high amp alternator.Seemed a bit neater to me.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To electric water pump, alternator belt size?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

oh wow, thanks a lot guys for pics and info. gotta say I'm starting to get a little worried. stroker, your saying I may have to give up my power steering to get this whole thing to work? I had a truck when I was a kid that didn't have power steering, it kinda sucked, but I guess I did survive. ok, I guess thats an option and it will shed some more weight.
long island c3, I too have dual electric fans, maybe when you get a chance you can take another pic of that setup. Are you saying then that one belt runs power steering and alternator? would love to see that

Last edited by Doug1; 09-26-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

just looked at some pics, looks like if i wanna keep my power steering i gotta buy a different alternator bracket and it goes where the ac compressor was....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCH-22025/

I'm not ready to spend this much money($165) to just to have the electric pump, i'm close to terminating this project real quick!

Last edited by Doug1; 09-26-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

How much $$ is the electric water pump you are looking at? I cant imagine its much less than the $270 short aluminum pump? There are plenty easier lbs to lose elsewhere.

FYI I just put the short style Edelbrock victor aluminum pump on my car to drop some lbs... If you have any timing cover other than a stock stamped steel one you might have issues fitting it... I run the Cloyes 2 piece cover and had to mill the backing plate to get it to clear.

Quick Reply: electric water pump, alternator belt size?