C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 Corvette - Ignition Switch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 Corvette - Ignition Switch Problem

Hi all. Last weekend I went to start the car and the key ignition cylinder appeared to break - it rotated all the way to start position, and the key could come out. the key cylinder no longer has contact to the ignition switch. I then took apart the steering column and removed the key switch cylinder - and it appears to work ok. I should add that last year I disconnected the interlink cable at the location under the brake booster in the engine compartment.

It seems to me that the actual problem is the ignition switch or connecting rod broke or is stuck. I then tried to drop the steering column to reveal the ignition switch - but I could only find 2 bolts to the bracket. Is there another 2 bolts? if so, are they visible without removing the dash? I appreciate any input. -gary
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Gary, first do a search on Jim Shea, he has a ton of info (his papers) on steering and ignition cylinder & switch problems.

There are only 2 bolts that hold the ignition switch mounted to the column. You do have to drop the column as you mentioned to get access to the switch. There may be something by the ignition key cylinder that either snapped or came loose causing it to rotate and not making contact.
I had just replaced the ignition switch on my 82, but the dash was out, which made it very easy to change.
But it sounds like your problem is more by the key cylinder than at the switch itself.................................. Tom
Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

At the top of the column, in line with the lock, there is a small shaft and a gear. The rod to the switch has a gear on the end of it. A T&T column has a rack with a D shaped link that connects to the rod. It's poosible the rack or the link broke. Jim Shea's papers will show you how to disassemble and diagnose the exact failure.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You didn't mention if you had a standard (non-adjustable) steering column or a T&T. I am going to assume that you have a T&T.

There is a die cast rack inside the steering column head. It is fairly common to have the rack break.

Replacement parts are readily available at most automotive supply stores.
My papers are located at Terry Rudy's www.corvettefaq.com website. The steering papers are located under Jim Shea's Steering Papers

Scroll down toward the bottom and you will find the following:
Tilt & Telescoping Steering Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Papers #1, #2, & #3. Also Pics #1, #2, #3

Jim
Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

That is very helpful - and likely the problem.

Unfortunately, I still can't seem to release the tension on the steering column that is keeping from dropping down so I can continue the diagnostic. I removed the two bolts from the steering column bracket and it still feels like something is holding it up. Is there a collar at the firewall that could need to be loosened up so the column will lower?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a pic of a bare column. There are 2 more bolts at the firewall with nuts on the inside.
It is also wise to remove the 2 bolts connecting the rag joint to prevent damage from hanging the column down.

Do read Jim Shea's papers, they may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but all the info is there.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

Thanks Noonie! now I get how to release the column. Great photo. I have also downloaded Jim's papers.

Get notified of new replies

To 1974 Corvette - Ignition Switch Problem

Quick Reply: 1974 Corvette - Ignition Switch Problem