C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Gasket Q?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 AM
racerx1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Thermostat Gasket Q?

So I’m replacing the thermostat in my '74 L-82 and I want to do my best to guarantee a leak free install.

After searching the topic, I settled on a 180* Stant superstat (PN:45358). My question is, what gasket should I go with….the basic Fel-Pro paper gasket (PN:35062) or the thicker Fel-Pro plastic/neoprene (PN:35562T) gasket?

As for the install, once I get everything all nice and clean, do you guys always put Permatex water pump/thermostat sealant on housing bolt threads before you run them in?

Should I also place a thin coating of sealant on both sides of the gasket? If I go with the Fel-Pro plastic/neoprene gasket, should I still apply a little sealant on the gasket?

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

find a robert shaw', better t-stat, mr. gasket sells them under their brand also
thicker neoprene
and yes on the thread coating
I put thin stickem on the neoprene gasket also
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

The thermostat housing is one of those gaskets that I am always having to take on and off and got tired of replacing gaskets. There is a thermostat housing that Mr gasket has that uses an O ring instead of a normal gasket which would be handy. I could not use it though because my housing had two ports in it and I was using both.
What I did was cut a gasket out of rubber from a car inner tube and it works great, does not leak and does not need replacing every time I take the housing off.
As for the bolts I use anti-seize compound to keep them from getting rusted in.
If you use any silicone-like sealant it will guarantee that you'll need to replace the gasket next time you take the housing off. I never had a problem with leaking with gasket alone. Just make sure mating surfaces are clean and flat. Use a file if necessary to achieve that.

Get notified of new replies

To Thermostat Gasket Q?

Quick Reply: Thermostat Gasket Q?