C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Leak where lines connect to Carbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Peter O'Connor
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Leak where lines connect to Carbs

I have a '69 C3 tri power. I have noticed fuel leaking from the connection of the carbs with the fuel lines. The seal is formed by tightening the carb nuts to compress the fuel line with the carbs . I have tightened the nuts as much as I dare as I do not want to ruin the threads in the carb.
I was wondering if anyone else has any experience of this problem and might be able to offer me some advice.
The car is not being maintained to a concurs standard and therefore I am happy to use any up to date solution if there is one .
Thank you .
Old 10-18-2012, 06:47 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Is there a seal, either a metal or paper ring,(could even be nylon), between the carbs and the fittings? Are all 3 leaking in the same place? If it's just one, it's possible the flare on the end of the tube is cracked or improperly flared. All 3, the odds are out there but anything is possible.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM
william43
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
Is there a seal, either a metal or paper ring,(could even be nylon), between the carbs and the fittings? Are all 3 leaking in the same place? If it's just one, it's possible the flare on the end of the tube is cracked or improperly flared. All 3, the odds are out there but anything is possible.
mine leak to but i just live with it,you could put some teflon tape around the treads.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by william43
mine leak to but i just live with it,you could put some teflon tape around the treads.
BE very careful with teflon tape on the fuel inlet(s). One little piece gets loose, it goes right into the carb needle and seat and runs fuel everywhere.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 PM
william43
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
BE very careful with teflon tape on the fuel inlet(s). One little piece gets loose, it goes right into the carb needle and seat and runs fuel everywhere.
I make sure i start the tape on back of the treads so that does't happen. Yes that is a mess.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Peter O'Connor
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel leak where lines connect to carbs

Thank u for your responses .I have Teflon tape on the reducer nuts but not near the fuel lines.I don't have any type of gasket between pipes and carb seat but might try to get something that would fit .It would have the benefit of increasing the depth of the pipe to the flange and give a little more thread to play with.
The leaking is a recurring problem and they don't all leak at the same time. I am just afraid my pride & joy will go up in a puff of smoke some time.
I just wonder if the strain of getting all the pipes ,connectors and nuts into position to tread the nuts properly is not allowing the pipes to seat properly. I was hoping there might be a solution with hoses even though there may be heat problems with them.
regards
Peter O'Connor

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Leak where lines connect to Carbs

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak where lines connect to Carbs