C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear end noise/shutter

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:47 AM
tobyj7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end noise/shutter

i noticed not so long ago a noise in the rear end it sounds like a rubbing noise but nothing is rubbing. as the wheels go around it makes the noise, i speed up the noise speeds up and slows down when i slow down. after the car is warm and coming back from a drive i have noticed it shutters as i come to a stop in drive with the brakes on. it is a 3 spd auto and im not sure if it has been rebuilt. im just wondering where to start if it could be a simple fix or a big job
cheers
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM
sonny_burnett
Instructor

if you shift into neutral does the noise change/go away?
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM
tobyj7
Advanced

Originally Posted by sonny_burnett
if you shift into neutral does the noise change/go away?
no the noise is still there if i shift into neutral.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 PM
sonny_burnett
Instructor

When you said shudder, my first thought was the limited slip, but this shouldn't be an issue when going in a straight line. My car has a slight shudder when I accelerate hard while turning around a sharp corner, which I'm pretty sure is the LSD clutches. Not sure what to tell you, if it were me I would jack the rear off the ground, put it in neutral and turn the wheels, maybe take the wheels/tires off and turn the rotors, see if you can feel, see or hear anything dragging and post what you find. My brothers car made a metallic rubbing noise when going down the road and especially when turning, it turned out to be the front passenger dust cover rubbing very slightly against the disk. Found the problem by taking the wheel off and turning the rotor by hand. Good luck, maybe someone else will post with something more helpful.

Get notified of new replies

To rear end noise/shutter

Quick Reply: rear end noise/shutter