C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Vortec upgrade to '71 350

Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cheap Vortec upgrade to '71 350

Ok, so I had grand thoughts on a pauper's budget in this thread. That doesn't mean I have given up.

I've come to some sort of conclusion that I'd either have to go all in for a 383 or settle for what's cheapest with what I have 350. I've decided to take another look at the low end of things. I've read several 'Vortec' threads and was questioning if that would be enough for me right now.

I've currently got a 350/270 block (casting 3970010) with an unknown bottom end and possibly different heads (casting #3973487) as a PO has certainly been in the engine somewhat. Were those heads from the LT1? I've also got the LT-1 hood on a base car with an unknown torque converter on a TH400.

My initial price rundown:
$350 - GMPP Vortec cast heads (2)
$200 - SB performer 2101 vortec intake
$200 - camshaft
$90 - double-roller timing chain + gear
$90 - hydraulic flat tappet lifters
$90 - roller tipped rocker arms
$200 - gaskets
$270 - flowtech 1-5/8" headers ceramic coated
$0 - keep my rebuilt q-jet with its 14" drop base filter

So for about $1,840 and my own labor I could see this happening. I was curious about peoples opinions with this kind of setup. I'm just looking to goose the engine from where I'm at now to hold me over a couple years until an honest engine rebuild can be done.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

I have a 75 and other than the cam (mine is a Thumpr) and carb (holley)
That's pretty much what I built.

I love it. Cheap, fool proof (as illustrated by my completion of the swap), and it makes silly power.

I would be careful, though, on yours. If you have the 70 high compression pistons, the Vortec heads will require the use of either alcohol injection, race gas, or E85. With my 75, it had abysmal 8.0:1 compression, so with the smaller combustion chambers, I gained 2 points on compression. Add a thumpr cam and it flat out hauls the mail.

I would also buy the heads from Jegs or Summit because you want the heads adapted to higher than .480 lift cams.... doesn't cost more, but takes away a problem with using the original style heads. Also, IIRC patriot performance makes a Vortec design head that uses the older intakes - and it's the same money - all around $700 for the set

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 10-23-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 569 Likes on 455 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

my thought is if you ever go to a more potent combination the vortecs are useless along with the manifold. they have small valves and have finite potential. a lot of people feel they are overrated. thats not to say you won't be pleased with them, just giving you the other side. why not just do some bowl work and port cleanup on your heads, a porting kit is cheap.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't buy nothing until you take the old heads off and figure out what pistons you have .measure for correct length push rods .
Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Yellow74c3
Advanced

I also went with the Vortec heads, had the valve guides cut to accept larger lift cams which I also went with a Thumper flat tappet, fit a RPM intake and a 750 Holley vac sec. carb, tach drive high output HEI dist. headers and the engine has new life! makes fun reliable power....
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

487's were the castings used for the lt1 heads, but they came in both large and small-valve configurations. Regardless, the vortec heads will stomp them into the ground in terms of performance.

If you're seriously going to rebuild it in a couple of years though, I would suggest saving your $$$ and putting your $1800 towards a set of Brodix or AFR heads.

Spend a few bucks on recurving the distributor and timing the engine correctly. Next dial in the carb via a good chassis dyno tune. That'll likely net you 50 hp and won't break the bank. You'll have enough left over to buy the heads. Make sure and get big ones to feed your future 400 sbc.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Try these guys.

http://stores.ebay.com/KMJ-PERFORMAN...=p4634.c0.m322

I've had good results and the prices are hard to beat.
I paid $69.00 for my roller tipped rockers.

Summit sells 1 5/8 headers for $110.00.
The box had instructions printed by Hooker in it.
They fit good and had no problems and they have been on for a year.

These guys cater to the circle track guys and have excellent customer service.

They are worth a look.

R~

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
Ok, so I had grand thoughts on a pauper's budget in this thread. That doesn't mean I have given up.

I've come to some sort of conclusion that I'd either have to go all in for a 383 or settle for what's cheapest with what I have 350. I've decided to take another look at the low end of things. I've read several 'Vortec' threads and was questioning if that would be enough for me right now.

I've currently got a 350/270 block (casting 3970010) with an unknown bottom end and possibly different heads (casting #3973487) as a PO has certainly been in the engine somewhat. Were those heads from the LT1? I've also got the LT-1 hood on a base car with an unknown torque converter on a TH400.

My initial price rundown:
$350 - GMPP Vortec cast heads (2)
$200 - SB performer 2101 vortec intake
$200 - camshaft
$90 - double-roller timing chain + gear
$90 - hydraulic flat tappet lifters
$90 - roller tipped rocker arms
$200 - gaskets
$270 - flowtech 1-5/8" headers ceramic coated
$0 - keep my rebuilt q-jet with its 14" drop base filter

So for about $1,840 and my own labor I could see this happening. I was curious about peoples opinions with this kind of setup. I'm just looking to goose the engine from where I'm at now to hold me over a couple years until an honest engine rebuild can be done.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Looks like my laundry list to a tee. There are "bowtie" Vortecs that are a step up from what you have priced. Better than the older Vortec heads but about $400 more a pair. Good luck on yor build.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap Vortec upgrade to '71 350

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap Vortec upgrade to '71 350