C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

friggin AutoZone P/S pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 PM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default friggin AutoZone P/S pump

I replaced the power steering pump on my 78 about 3 weeks ago with an AutoZone "DuraLast" pump. It appears to have been reman'ed by A1 Cardone.

All went well bolting it up but right after I started the car I had something on the front of the motor making noise. Off came the a/c belt and still a noise...off came the alternator belt and still a noise.

The pulley (and shaft) of the pump moves in and out quite a bit and is making noise when its turning. Now I need to return it and hope I get a good one. If I could get a full refund (I will try) I would get one somewhere else.

Geeze.......

Dan
Old 10-24-2012, 12:05 AM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine is a mechanic and he had to install power steering parts on a C3. He got the parts from a large Corvette supplier (I will not name the supplier) and they just weren't right. He returned it and the one that was sent also had the same problem.

Although, legend has it that this often happened back when C3's were new.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

did you bleed it
Old 10-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Problem with re-mans is they're hit and miss. It's usually worth the money to buy a new one. Remember as a kid, sometimes was lucky for a re-man water pump to make it a week. Recently installed a brake caliper on may daily car, and blew fluid everywhere, before moving an inch out of the garage. Another thing I recently learned, as my cousins a vendor for these parts. If he picks up an Auto store line, he just pulls the labels from exsisting stock, puts his on, and picks up the warranty. Seems a re-man, is just a re-man to the industry. Kinda tells you something.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:07 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

I purchased a power steering pump from Auto Zone a while back.
After 3 months it started making noise.

I ended up draining some fluid out and using Lucas P/S fluid.
Noise went away and is still noise free

R~
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I went through 4 reman brake boosters from autozone. Each one had a different problem. I got so good at replacing them that I could do it in 15 minutes. Finally gave up on a-z (they gave me a full refund) and bought a brand new booster from GM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:09 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Reman parts in general are crap- I've never had much success.
Most outfits use questionable cores (good cores on a lot of this stuff is getting harder to find) then they just slap in new bearings and seals even though the castings are crap to begin with.

I always opt for NEW OEM parts and if those aren't available, new aftermarket. Finding a good shop that can rebuild your original cores is also a good option.
A1-Cardone stuff was crap back when I was in high-school (in the 70's) and I haven't touched their stuff since.. You get what you pay for.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I agree!
I never buy anything remanufactured unless i have no options. I ordered a new pump from CC but it was back ordered too long so i bought the rebuild kit and did the rebuild myself on the OEM pump. It was easy! Hardest part was removing the pressed on pulley.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I buy reman. almost exclusively, depends who you buy from
Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZR
I replaced the power steering pump on my 78 about 3 weeks ago with an AutoZone "DuraLast" pump. It appears to have been reman'ed by A1 Cardone.

All went well bolting it up but right after I started the car I had something on the front of the motor making noise. Off came the a/c belt and still a noise...off came the alternator belt and still a noise.

The pulley (and shaft) of the pump moves in and out quite a bit and is making noise when its turning. Now I need to return it and hope I get a good one. If I could get a full refund (I will try) I would get one somewhere else.

Geeze.......

Dan
Did you flush the system before you installed the new pump?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

Default friggin AutoZone P/S pump

Originally Posted by noonie
Did you flush the system before you installed the new pump?
Yes I did- it was cleaner inside than most hospital operating rooms !
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
I went through 4 reman brake boosters from autozone. Each one had a different problem. I got so good at replacing them that I could do it in 15 minutes. Finally gave up on a-z (they gave me a full refund) and bought a brand new booster from GM.
Darn, Plano's too far from San Antonio or I'd buy your beer to help me change mine when the time comes, looks like it's a chore
Old 10-24-2012, 02:04 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Some pieces you cant get new they are all remans

Lifetime warranty = replacing for a lifetime

I have a water pump alternator and belt idler that all failed under 10k miles. Writing is on the wall.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I just installed reman power steering pump but have not started the engine yet. I did notice some debris around the threaded connections. So, I cleaned the crap out of the pump as best I could before installing. The reservoir on the reman was so dented I had to resue my original reservoir with the reman pump.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
lol, when I did mine a few months ago, I had the seat out so I could lay up under there and get at those nuts. PITA, hats off to ya

Get notified of new replies

To friggin AutoZone P/S pump

Quick Reply: friggin AutoZone P/S pump