C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6-Link Dragvette Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 AM
PAPADOC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6-Link Dragvette Suspension

Thoughts? If you have had it and removed it please pm me. Want to add this to my 1975 rebuild. Car is not original so am not worried about keeping it there. But I like the idea of 6 link. Is there a reason besides originality to not use it?

Thanks for any help in this decision!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I'm pretty sure Gordonm tried that on his C3 and removed it because he didn't like it. I can't remember the details though.

Here's a thread he started. I'm sure he'll get back to you if you PM him.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...onversion.html
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

I have the parts to do that upgrade - I guess the question to you is - what do you want/expect from the upgrade?

I'm doing it because I want mine to handle track days better... which is should do in spades because it's so adjustable. Were this just a DD, I'd never do it.

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 11-05-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: can't spell were
Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM
PAPADOC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
I have the parts to do that upgrade - I guess the question to you is - what do you want/expect from the upgrade?

I'm doing it because I want mine to handle track days better... which is should do in spades because it's so adjustable. Where this just a DD, I'd never do it.
I want the option of autocrossing...right now I cannot imagine having the time but hope springs eternal.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:55 PM
PAPADOC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Les
I'm pretty sure Gordonm tried that on his C3 and removed it because he didn't like it. I can't remember the details though.

Here's a thread he started. I'm sure he'll get back to you if you PM him.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...onversion.html
I read through most of that thread a while ago. I have PM'd him but no response as of yet.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

I had asked him a few years back about the drag vette setup and if i remember correctly his issue was with the original design. The top link was mounted on top of the bump stop pad on the TA and it reduced the suspension travel. I may be wrong, my memory is not what it was when I was younger. Like I mentioned I may be wrong on this, hopefully Gordon will step in and clear it up. This will be my next mod mainly for the half shaft loops and the removal of the half shafts from being a suspension member. I also like the function of stability by eliminating the movement of the stub shafts from the equation.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:23 PM
PAPADOC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
I had asked him a few years back about the drag vette setup and if i remember correctly his issue was with the original design. The top link was mounted on top of the bump stop pad on the TA and it reduced the suspension travel. I may be wrong, my memory is not what it was when I was younger. Like I mentioned I may be wrong on this, hopefully Gordon will step in and clear it up. This will be my next mod mainly for the half shaft loops and the removal of the half shafts from being a suspension member. I also like the function of stability by eliminating the movement of the stub shafts from the equation.
Sounds plausible given what I have seen of the set up. Wonder how much travel you lose? I will email Dragvette to see...
Old 11-04-2012, 04:37 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

I think they moved the mount to resolve the issue. They have an installation video on their site of a complete install, it's worth watching

Last edited by chevymans 77; 11-04-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Sorry about this I have been involved with Sandy cleanup. Went down yesterday to help out a house cleanup and we filled a 20 yard dumpster with just debris that was around the house. I have not been able to get to my beach house as the island is closed. Finally granting us a 2 hour grab and go window tomorrow to see and get what we need.

As for the Dragvette setup it did what it said it would do. It reduced the camber to almost zero throughout the arc of travel. I measured it and it was like .3 degrees throughout the travel. So for drag racing it is optimal and worked well. For autocrossing you need some camber change. All setups will differ and what you need may be different. My main problem was said above. The upper mount reduced the travel to about 2 inches of travel before it hammered the frame. The upper mount struck the frame. I tried moving it trimming it playing with the bump stop and contacted Drag Vette. I never got it solved. I worked on another forum members Vette that had the kit installed also and found the same marks on the frame. Every time a bump was encountered it souned like someone was taking a hammer to the frame. This was not street friendly at all.

I did like the adjustability and the non stressed half shafts and the loops but for street driving and autoX it was not for me. Drag racing absolutly! Maybe there has been a redesign of this as there was a problem. Hopefully it was solved. I removed it and sold it to a drag racer as I recall. I now run a full on Vette Brakes dual mount rear setup and transverse mount front spring with tubular arms. I feel this is a much more adjustable and better and easeir setup for street and autoX. Any questions I'd be happy to answer.

G
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 PM
PAPADOC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Sorry about this I have been involved with Sandy cleanup. Went down yesterday to help out a house cleanup and we filled a 20 yard dumpster with just debris that was around the house. I have not been able to get to my beach house as the island is closed. Finally granting us a 2 hour grab and go window tomorrow to see and get what we need.

As for the Dragvette setup it did what it said it would do. It reduced the camber to almost zero throughout the arc of travel. I measured it and it was like .3 degrees throughout the travel. So for drag racing it is optimal and worked well. For autocrossing you need some camber change. All setups will differ and what you need may be different. My main problem was said above. The upper mount reduced the travel to about 2 inches of travel before it hammered the frame. The upper mount struck the frame. I tried moving it trimming it playing with the bump stop and contacted Drag Vette. I never got it solved. I worked on another forum members Vette that had the kit installed also and found the same marks on the frame. Every time a bump was encountered it souned like someone was taking a hammer to the frame. This was not street friendly at all.

I did like the adjustability and the non stressed half shafts and the loops but for street driving and autoX it was not for me. Drag racing absolutly! Maybe there has been a redesign of this as there was a problem. Hopefully it was solved. I removed it and sold it to a drag racer as I recall. I now run a full on Vette Brakes dual mount rear setup and transverse mount front spring with tubular arms. I feel this is a much more adjustable and better and easeir setup for street and autoX. Any questions I'd be happy to answer.

G
You have my deepest sympathy for cleaning up after hurricanes...lived in New Orleans and am now in Baton Rouge...the reason we drink during hurricanes is because we know how much work is coming.

Thanks for the reply. I will check with the Dragvette folks to find out if they came up with a fix. The Vette Brakes set up sounds terrific, will have to see if the warden will release funds...heh. Just bought her some dishwashers for her new house that we are almost finished building so she might be amenable.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

So, are we to assume that you ARE setting up for drag racing?

Just double-checking to make sure you didn't miss Gordonm's point about camber change during suspension travel, as minimizing or eliminating rear camber gain altogether is best left to the strip.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

My car is for autocross and open track days - and this is why I asked you what your plans were. I have all the bits to do 2 6 link suspensions, but I'm seriously considering not using the 6 link, rather only using parts from the upper/lower arms to control camber gain.

My thought is this - use the VBP arms with the johnny joints, use the adjustable upper and lower tie-rods to control camber. Remove the C-clips from the stub shafts in the differential. It wouldn't be any cheaper or easier because you'd have to have adjustable tie-rods, and multiple attachment points to change the camber gain; but I think it'd be worth it.....

That said, I have maybe 2" of travel already - so there will be some rework in the rear suspension to make this happen. I'll be sure to post pics when I do it.

And there is a vette forum where the owners post the CAD drawings to cut out the parts..... just an option.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
PAPADOC
Intermediate

Default Thanks for the replies

My intention was to gain the positive aspects that were mentioned in the Corvette Fever article. I don't have any intention of drag racing...oh I might run it down the strip a couple of times for giggles but...mostly take it out for a Sunday drive.

This was the six link designed by John Giovanni as reviewed by Corvette Fever. Link http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/6link/index.html

The two test drivers noted that on the open road it brought a level of forgiveness that the original does not have. I have experienced that un-forgiveness once before on the highway when two street racers swept by me, in heavy rush hour traffic, going at least 50 miles an hour faster than me. One cut me off and in order to miss having him go over the bumper I hit the brakes and immediately spun across three lanes of traffic. No doubt my fault but this also seems to be a “feature” of the C-3…heh.

They said “it turns a car that can be a handful when pushed into a forgiving car”. That’s for me.

I spun across 3 lanes of rush hour traffic ending in the dirt on the side of the road, not hitting anything. After I emptied my pants I got back on the highway and went to work.

Last edited by PAPADOC; 11-05-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:21 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PAPADOC
My intention was to gain the positive aspects that were mentioned in the Corvette Fever article. I don't have any intention of drag racing...oh I might run it down the strip a couple of times for giggles but...mostly take it out for a Sunday drive.

This was the six link designed by John Giovanni as reviewed by Corvette Fever. Link http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/6link/index.html

The two test drivers noted that on the open road it brought a level of forgiveness that the original does not have. I have experienced that un-forgiveness once before on the highway when two street racers swept by me, in heavy rush hour traffic, going at least 50 miles an hour faster than me. One cut me off and in order to miss having him go over the bumper I hit the brakes and immediately spun across three lanes of traffic. No doubt my fault but this also seems to be a “feature” of the C-3…heh.

They said “it turns a car that can be a handful when pushed into a forgiving car”. That’s for me.

I spun across 3 lanes of rush hour traffic ending in the dirt on the side of the road, not hitting anything. After I emptied my pants I got back on the highway and went to work.
entertaining story - glad it wasn't me and doubly glad there was no damage to you or your car. Were it me, I have clothe seats they'd be a pain to clean.

The only real difference between that set up and what I've planning on doing is one less link (on the Giovanni system, there's an upper and lower control arm ala 4 link solid axle setup.

My biggest issue is founded in the same problem - whenever you unload only one, rear tire, the back of the car seems to try to beat the front down the road. I suspect it feels doubly weird since your tail is sitting so close to the rear axle and so far from the front... still, it is no fun, no fun at all. That said, I wonder if the Giovanni or any system would solve the problem. In my current thinking, the best way to stop the issue would be limiting straps on the rear and elimination of the rear sway bar....

but I'm a total noob at IRS suspensions, so I'll be following along as you work on your issue. Please post pics and update as you go along
Old 04-24-2015, 05:00 PM
cloudshe
Instructor

Originally Posted by PAPADOC

i've spun my 72 big block on the autocross course a few times, esp at speed under heavy braking. it's fun watching the scenery go around when you know you're not going to hit anything. but i don't think it was because of the rear suspension set up though.

the weight transfer from the max braking would unload the rear wheels to where they would lock up and cause the ends to swap. i think the heavier front end made the front tires more effective, making the situation even worse.

the fix on a non-ABS car should be to dial down the juice to the rear brakes, using a proportioning valve or a master cylinder with less rear bias, or so that's the theory. unfortunately i sold the 72 before i got it done. miss that car!

Get notified of new replies

To 6-Link Dragvette Suspension

Quick Reply: 6-Link Dragvette Suspension