C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Fuel Shut Off

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Default 82 Fuel Shut Off

The title of this thread sucks but I can't think of anything short and descriptive for my issue. I am replacing the old rubber fuel lines on my '82 CE and can't get the fuel to stop flowing out of the return fuel line. I have already replaced the fuel filter and hoses and the hose for the main line. The return line is solid up a point underneath the air conditioner compressor, then it is rubber to the mechanical fuel pump blank off plate where a metal line runs to the driver's side throttle body. I loosened the fittings at both throttle bodies and no fuel comes out so I believe the system is depressurized. If this is a gravity issue I guess I need to drive and drain the tank down to a manageable amount to siphon out. Maybe an indication of a bad fuel pump? The hoses and the work area access is very tight and I'm sure I'll have way too much gas spilling to try and just "go for it". Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks!
-Chris
Old 11-10-2012, 11:07 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not familiar with the fuel injection setup but with a mechanical fuel pump there is a gravity issue when changing the fuel pump.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the reply. I suspect that since this is the first year for the reintroduction of fuel injection that there are some design issues. Unless I think of something new to try I guess I'll leave that piece of fuel line until Spring and/or until I drive the tank close to empty. That will be more fun anyway!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:04 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

the fuel lines are on top of the tank .if after you take off the lines and the lines have drained and you are still getting fuel then its because the fuel line is siphoning out the fuel.did you take off the fuel cap ?i would break the line connection at the fuel filter.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 AM
AT-82Collectors
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a air compressor with a blow tip just remove the gas cap, break the line at the fuel pump and gently blow the gas back into the tank. That will break the suction and stop the flow.

Andy
Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Terry82 - I tried that.

AT-Collectors82 - Thought about that too, and since you suggested it I'll give my compressor a try.

Thanks for both of your suggestions!
-Chris
Old 11-11-2012, 02:10 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

you can disconnect fuel line at the fuel filler.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by terry82
you can disconnect fuel line at the fuel filler.
Actually there are two fuel lines on my car. The second line is the one I am having trouble with. There are two rubber hoses at the right front wheel that go to where the mechanical fuel pump would be. Then it is metal tubing up to the throtle bodies. I thought the second line would be a return from the drivers side throttle body (thus no filter) and by relieving any pressure in the fuel system all that would drain would be any fuel in the lines. I pinched off the line at the filter but after about a liter of fuel came out of the return line I figured something else is going on. I still need to try and blow the fuel in the return line back in to the tank and see what happens.
-Chris
Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

have you got the right hose to put back on ?you need high pressure fuel line .its not a lot of pressure but it has to handle around 15 psi on the pressure side and at least be able to handle gas on the other.check the line from the gas filter to the rubber line .mine was pinched.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Yes putting fuel injection fuel hose on is exactly what I am doing. I origionally picked up the regular fuel hose and had to replace it.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats weird. Disconnect the battery so the pump is not energized. Remove the gas cap to eliminate the pressure. You should get a bit of fuel on the return until the spring in the rear TBI releases. then there should be nothing. What ever is in the lines will drain.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Fuel Shut Off

Quick Reply: 82 Fuel Shut Off