C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BB hose from water pump to intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 01:55 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BB hose from water pump to intake

I have heard that the hose going from the water pump to the intake on BBs is possibly making the car run hotter. Was told to block it off and about 30% more water flow to the radiator. Anbody doing this, and what is the real purpose of the hose? Thanks
Old 06-08-2002, 03:24 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BB hose from water pump to intake (467-Ratman)

I thought that it was a bypass for the thermostat. I was thinking about running without the thermostat and was also thinking of blocking off the small hose.

Sorry, I don't have any valid inputs but I am interested in the same subject and hope some experts speak up.
Old 06-08-2002, 03:40 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Default Re: BB hose from water pump to intake (tworottiedogs)

If it wasnt need GM would not put it there. Remember GM installed the by-pass on over 50 million engines. The main puupose of the hose is to circulate a small amount of water during warm-up of the engine. If the bypass is removed the water in the block heats up very fast to above 210 or 220 then the stat opens and Bang the temp goes down to 140 or 160 this shocks the engine " just like pouring cold water on hot metal. If the by-pass hose is not there the engine will reach the operating temp but you are constantly shoking the cooling system. Like I have said a 1000 times on this board Don't try to out-smart the engineers.
Old 06-08-2002, 03:46 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BB hose from water pump to intake (73-454)

Gm also installed skinny tires on 50 million cars. The also installed a restrictive exhaust on 50 million cars. GM did many things that can be improved.
The second part of your post is a valid response and will help me make my decision. Referring to what GM engineers did in the early 70's is not too useful.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:16 AM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: BB hose from water pump to intake (73-454)

I can see now the purpose, but I have a shaw stat, 160 it has small holes drilled in it to allow water to pass even when its below 160. Once the stat reaches the temp its open all of the time. It seems to me that the bypass is letting water not go into the block from the pump? :confused:
Old 06-09-2002, 08:19 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: BB hose from water pump to intake (467-Ratman)

Looking at the bypass hose some more today, sure seems like a waste of cooled water? The water is comming from the radiator, cooled and some goes to the block, but a good amount of it goes right in at the front of the intake, back through the top hose and in the radiator again. Looking for any more input, Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To BB hose from water pump to intake

Quick Reply: BB hose from water pump to intake