C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help!!!

Old 06-09-2002, 07:07 PM
kidice81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help!!!

I have had my 81 for 3 years now and I still have a problem. Here's the problem: I have a automatic and the engine is original with 60k miles. While crusing down the road the car does a funny thing. The car seems to kick up with the rpms over 2000rpm. Also, the car kicks down in the rpms under 2000rpms. The kick up and down are aggrivating. I though the car was skipping so I changed all the plugs, dist, button, rotor, etc. The car still did the skip. I changed all the fuel filters and still a skip. One guy I know said it maybe the torque converter. Has anyone had this problem???
Old 06-09-2002, 07:16 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: I need help!!! (kidice81)

Sounds like the lockup feature of your torque converter.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:10 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Not sure I fully understand your description, but when I first had my 81 I had problems with the carb surging, all of a sudden the carb would go full throttle.....that wasn't good when sitting at a stop light! It would die out sometimes too, the thing never ran right. Had it rebuilt twice before I junked it. But I think your problem may be the TC, check the fluid level in your tranny before you go spending hundreds on a rebuild.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:35 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like your tranny is shifting. This is probably due to a vacuum leak, check your vacuum lines...it may just be a loose connection. You might go ahead and replace some of the vacuum lines if they seem hardened...they get that way after time. Make sure you draw a diagram of the current vacuum routing so you can replace everything back the way it was.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:09 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It could be the torque converter locking & unlocking. One way to find out is to disconnect it. There is a connector on the top of the d.side of the tranny which is real awkward to get to. If you follow the wires up you'll find a connector just behind the rear of the d.side valve cover. Unplug it & see if the problem goes away (I'm assuming you've still got the ECU in place & controlling the lockup).
My '81 was doing odd things with gearchanges & I found that the vacuum pipe from the manifold had a small split in the rubber hose that joins it to the vacuum modulator(?) on the tranny.
:cheers:
Old 06-12-2002, 02:13 PM
kidice81
Instructor

bump!! :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To I need help!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need help!!!