C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Differential Fluid for 77

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Recommended Differential Fluid for 77

Hi guys, I am working on a friends 77 and need to know the factory recommended gear oil weight and need to know if I need 1 or 2, 4oz bottles of the GM LS additive? Searching on here I here I am reading different things, use 80W90 or 80w140 syn or non-syn and 1 or 2 bottles of LS additive, no one has a set answer on what needs to be used! Rear end chatters/grinds pretty bad so need to change it out (its been sitting for a long time too).

Also looking at the fill plug its square, what tool/socket do I need to buy to get it off?

Last edited by Corvette Don; 12-10-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Don
Hi guys, I am working on a friends 77 and need to know the factory recommended gear oil weight and need to know if I need 1 or 2, 4oz bottles of the GM LS additive? Searching on here I here I am reading different things, use 80W90 or 80w140 syn or non-syn and 1 or 2 bottles of LS additive, no one has a set answer on what needs to be used! Rear end chatters/grinds pretty bad so need to change it out (its been sitting for a long time too).

Also looking at the fill plug its square, what tool/socket do I need to buy to get it off?
If your diff has deteriorated significantly, no fluid replacement will fix it. Use the GM gear oil (pretty sure it's 80W90), and one bottle of GM additive. If that does not help, it's time for a rebuild.
If I remember correctly, a 5/8 open end wrench will turn the fill plug. Take a few yoga classes first.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

You can get a 8 point socket at sears that will fit a square head and wont round it off like an open end.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

I dont think it has deteriorated, the LS still works and it does not whine at any speed, just get the grinding at slow speed turning (1-2 mph) anything over that it goes away, searching shows that most of the time replacing the fluid with the correct stuff (and I am sure the prev owner did not use the correct stuff) will fix it.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Don
I dont think it has deteriorated, the LS still works and it does not whine at any speed, just get the grinding at slow speed turning (1-2 mph) anything over that it goes away, searching shows that most of the time replacing the fluid with the correct stuff (and I am sure the prev owner did not use the correct stuff) will fix it.
Have seen several posts about this and many times a fluid change and addition of GM additive made the noise go away for others with what sound like the same situation you have. Good luck!

Adam
Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I have been using 80/90 gear weight oil and one 4 oz bottle of GM posi lube for 40 years in my original 65 rear end. It's never been rebuilt and still makes no noise. (I know that's the kiss of death now that I've said this ) Same thing in my 68 and 61 and every older Corvette I've ever owned. Never had a rear end issue. Forget the synthetics on the old cars. This is what they were designed to use. Do your figure 8's in a parking lot after you do the change to work the posi lube into the clutches
Old 12-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by capevettes
I have been using 80/90 gear weight oil and one 4 oz bottle of GM posi lube for 40 years in my original 65 rear end. It's never been rebuilt and still makes no noise. (I know that's the kiss of death now that I've said this ) Same thing in my 68 and 61 and every older Corvette I've ever owned. Never had a rear end issue. Forget the synthetics on the old cars. This is what they were designed to use. Do your figure 8's in a parking lot after you do the change to work the posi lube into the clutches
Will do, thanks everyone

Get notified of new replies

To Recommended Differential Fluid for 77

Quick Reply: Recommended Differential Fluid for 77