C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 10:07 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do?

I'm trying to get an idea of what sort of activities Corvette clubs around the country (and internationally) do. Not just car shows and Friday night show & shines, but off-the-wall stuff!

Here's one from the 70's: The local club used to meet at a local dealership on Sunday mornings. From there, they would run to a cafe in a small town 40 miles up in the Hill Country. The catch? Last person there would have to pay for breakfast for everybody!

So c'mon folks! I'm relying on my fellow corvetteforum.com members to come up with some wild 'n crazy tales :seeya

[Modified by page62, 8:08 PM 6/9/2002]
Old 06-09-2002, 10:27 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (page62)

Our club is NO fun, full of rich snobs and assorted other cliques. I left after 6 months. The president was nicknamed Mayor McCheese if that tells you anything :rolleyes: . I go to the local cruise nights where the real car people are, and when I can get time off I make a misfit event...those guys are a riot!
Old 06-09-2002, 11:09 PM
Justin79-L-82
Pro

Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (C3 Shark Tank)

The people in the corvette club out here are a bunch of jerks here too. :rolleyes: I'm not in the club, but this one day i parked beside this one guy that had his hood open. I though it would be fun to park beside him seeing as how we have the same car and open my hood as well.. Weeeeell he though i was trying to "show him up" and closed his hood and drove to another spot... Some club :nono:
Old 06-09-2002, 11:53 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (Justin79-L-82)

What does my club do? EAT. Lots. :D

For the last few months I've belonged to the Texas Corvette Association of San Antonio. The events coordinator is manic & fun (& a member of the Corvetteforum, though she rarely posts--hi, Joyce!) & they do a lot of interesting stuff, cruises, shows, nights at the track, etc. And lots & lots of runs to barbeque and burger joints. I haven't noticed any snobbery, even though it is a bit dominated by the C5ers (at least the few events that I've attended). My old '78 wasn't exactly a beater, but it definitely was rough around the edges, and nobody made me feel unwelcome or out of place.

Both of the vette clubs I've hung out with seem to be pretty sedate groups, though. I suspect that some of the things that turn some folks off to corvette clubs is that maybe they tend to be dominated by older vetters and folks that aren't too interested in raising much hell or too into lots of performance mods. I haven't been to all that many events, but I haven't seen any burnouts or "whose car is louder" revving contests.

JB

[Modified by JB, 11:32 PM 6/9/2002]
Old 06-10-2002, 12:22 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

We go racing! Among a lot of other things... that I usually do get to attend :sad: Like BBQ, Cruises all over, etc, but a lot of racing!! :D
Its the Northeast section :yesnod:
Clubs are no fun in my opinion
Old 06-10-2002, 12:23 AM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (JB)

This IS my club. :D

AC
Old 06-10-2002, 12:50 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (A C)

This IS my club. :D
Exactly what i was saying except I do some event with the guys in the northeast section. No better club than this anywhere!
Old 06-10-2002, 12:55 AM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

When I was with my old club in Kansas City, we had a great time. Not only did we have autocrosses and fun shows around town, but we would have monthly events that highlighted the local flavor around the city. Some members had property where we could have cookouts and swimming parties, sometimes we cruised to a local historical site and ended up at a restaurant, sometimes we just hung out and told tall tales. We did parades for 4th of July activities, had picnics with our charity (Spina Bifida kids) and really enjoyed our cars. Some members were into racing and national points races, some were into waxing and keeping the cars spotless - it was a great group that I miss terribly. I hope my new "non-club" friends and I here in Ohio can generate the same fun I used to have. Clubs can be fantastic, but I have experienced too many in the past few years that have gotten too serious with themselves, or too into competition with other clubs. I need fun! :cheers:
Old 06-10-2002, 01:21 AM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

The Jax vette club has a fee, meetings, cruises, dinners, events, and other stuff like that. If I had the time & money might try it out, but it gets expensive doing stuff like that!

Also someone said that they feel poor when everyone has C4's and C5's to drive everywhere. I feel the exact same way with my C3, but overall I've been accepted. Just don't talk about how many things are broken or needing replacement and you'll be okay. :p:
Old 06-10-2002, 08:58 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (FroDaddy)

FroDaddy, tell you what....a good corvette club does....
A. working relationship with a large chebby dealer...meaning...
open shop nite, using dealer's bays once a month....having parts and service open just for corvette club members that one evening....usually 6-9 pm....
limited to small/minor jobs, and car washing indoors....in winter!!!
B. same dealer opens up ENTIRE dealership for ONE Saturday, for a corvette ONLY show, sales floor is full of cars NOT FOR SALE....just display...
outside is the sales floor....service lanes, bays, body shop full of cars entered in show....public invited, club charges maybe 2-5 bux/person entrance fee.....cars in show pay nothing, awards given out...
C. GM factory training people come and give lectures, vette related of course on the latest and greatest....training course if you will...in evenings...
D. after shop nite is over, dinner at a restaurant....
E. mostly every year, the club pays for Xmas dinner for member ans spouse/date.
F. Club sponsors, or related Vette service shop sponsors a Drag Day at local strip, exclusive to Vettes, and a few Vipers to keep it interesting....
G. Club may even have as few as 75 members to get and keep the above traditions going.....
H. Everyone in the club knows how valuable that special relationship with sponsoring dealership is,...and will normally do business with that dealership if at all possible....parts. service, cars....whatever....
I....ADVERTISE hell out of the vette shows...get the public into the dealership that day.....dealer will sell 2 vettes and some other cars/trucks during that show, easy....

NOW, how many other vette clubs come within 10% of that level of activity????
what are the advantages of YOUR club by comparison???

Juliet, Tony, Andy know what I"m talking about, and Frodaddy, so do you....

GENE :D :D :cool: :cheers:
Old 06-10-2002, 10:32 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (mrvette)

mrvette- you are either talking about Dimmit Chevrolet(puts on a real nice show) or a dealer in Orlando which for the life of me I can't remember the name. I did make a meeting as a guest with the CFCA one time, nice bunch of people, had dinner at the local Hooters after, Hutch is a riot, and the club members had some SWEET cars.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:13 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (C3 Shark Tank)

Meeting at Hooters? Now that's got to be an interesting bunch of people! :D
Old 06-10-2002, 03:38 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

I belong to a really informal club. Mostly middle-aged retirees but nice people. I'm probably the youngest member. C1s to C5s. We make about 2- 4 day trips a year. Really casual atmosphere. No dues, no officers, no monthly meetings, no attitudes, no :bs.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:44 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (74VETTE)

We go racing! Among a lot of other things... that I usually do get to attend :sad: Like BBQ, Cruises all over, etc, but a lot of racing!! :D
Its the Northeast section :yesnod:
Clubs are no fun in my opinion
The NE guys are a blast!!!
Old 06-10-2002, 05:32 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (Mike69)

I just wish I could go to more NE events. Family eats up to much time. Most of the "other" clubs are waxers and I would rather be driving than sitting :bs with others for the entire day. Did like the Hooters lunch :D
Old 06-10-2002, 06:38 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (Gordonm)

I hope CF don't get mad here if I say to look at our club web site http://www.ccdv.com will give you a look at what we do.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:28 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do? (Stephen DeFazio)

I hope CF don't get mad here if I say to look at our club web site http://www.ccdv.com will give you a look at what we do.

I'm a member of the same club. Corvette Club of Delaware Valley. Great bunch of people, real people you're proud to call friends. The club goes drag racing, road trips (cruises ) ,dancing , garage tours and all kinds of fun things. I have a Corvette that not perfect,( far from it ) just a nice driver and everyone likes it. No problems with not being original. Just nice corvette people having fun . :seeya

(edit) In the fall we do a "Hot Dog Run" . The other year the weather was perfect and we had 84 Corvettes on a 2 1/2 hr tour to the Poconos. That was :cool:

[Modified by JRD77VET, 2:32 AM 6/11/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do?

Old 06-11-2002, 02:46 AM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

We have at least 2 runs per month here in Brisbane. Coffee runs, Sunday breakfast runs, trips to the raceway, go karting, shows, dyno days...

A pretty good bunch of people. Mainly C3's and C4's.

I'm organising a Scrabble Run this w/e.

:cheers:
Old 06-11-2002, 03:30 PM
Koz

I couldn't find my local club. When I got my Vette I asked the new owner of the local Chevy dealer about clubs in the area. He said, hell I sponsor the group and I usually have a flier around her somewhere. He took my name and number and said someone would call. Never did.. This past Saturday I was at the Marcus Dairy Hot Rod night and Candlewood Valley club was rafeling a 2002 convertible vette. $20 got me a chance and a web site for the club. Seem like a nice bunch of folks. They are doing the Danbury Fair Mall this weekend (Father's day). I don't know if I'd want my vette inside the mall with all those clueless let's touch onlookers unless it was surrounded by Doberman Pinchers.. :lol: :lol:

Even the url they gave me doesn't work.. Just as well..

[Modified by Koz, 3:35 PM 6/11/2002]
Old 06-11-2002, 03:59 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

We have lot of fun! See for yourself: www.corvettefinland.com
:cheers:

Quick Reply: [OT] What does YOUR Corvette club do?